In a few days, we will be changing the install program we use for the Ancestry World Archives tool. In addition to handling the initial installation of the tool, the program also handles installation of upgrades and new versions.
As part of our beta process, we discovered that the old install program was not meeting our needs, particularly when it came to serving our contributors who are using 64 bit programs and those who use the tool less than weekly.
What does this mean for you? With this new version of the tool you will be automatically transitioned from the old program to the new program the first time you open the tool after this change is made; this will happen within the next couple of days.
After opening the tool, you will be asked to click “OK” to allow the removal of the old program to take place. You will then be asked to verify that you would like to remove the application from your computer- click “OK” again, and it will automatically finish uninstalling and re-installing the tool. You will only have to go through this process this one time in order to make the necessary change.
We are expecting that all will go well with this process, however, if you do encounter difficulties you will need to remove the tool manually.
To remove the tool, follow these steps:
- Click on the “start” menu
- Select “Control Panel”
- Click on “Add or Remove Programs”
- Locate the “Ancestry.com World Archives Project Keying Tool Uninstaller” from the list of “Currently Installed Projects”.
- Look for “Ancestry.com World Archives Project- KeyingTool” In the list of “Currently Installed Programs” and if it is still present, click on it. (It should be automatically uninstalled if the previous step worked correctly).
- Click the “Remove” button and verify that you want to remove the program by clicking “Yes” when prompted.
- Click the “Change/Remove” button that will appear.
- You will be asked to verify that you want to remove the program, click OK. The program should uninstall.
Once the old program has been removed, you can download and install the tool again by clicking here (go directly to the URL:
If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the tool and you are still experiencing problems, please contact our support team, firstname.lastname@example.org.