ANCESTRY COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
Welcome to the Ancestry Community!
Ancestry is dedicated to helping our members explore their family history and make new meaningful discoveries about themselves and their families. We encourage you to collaborate with others in our community by sharing relevant ideas, and finding answers to your questions. We have Ancestry members all around the world who can benefit from sharing information and experiences about their own discoveries. We have developed these guidelines to create a safe environment for our members to engage with each other in a respectful manner. We trust you to be responsible in your interactions with others in the Ancestry community.
Be Friendly and Respectful
It’s pretty simple: treat others the way you want to be treated. We believe everyone has something valuable to contribute to the community and encourage everyone to be polite and constructive. While it’s okay to disagree, please refrain from harassing, intimidating, making personal attacks or using threatening or abusive language.
Don’t post, transmit, or display content or images that are vulgar, hateful, sexually explicit, illegal, defamatory, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise offensive. Please ensure that posts and comments are on-topic, and avoid controversial subjects outside the context of family history research.
Respect People’s Privacy
Do not invade other people’s privacy or reveal their personal information. Do not post contact information, photos, email addresses, credit card numbers, social security numbers or any other personal information about a living individual without their permission.
Rules of Engagement
Remember, you’re responsible for what you post. Here are a few tips:
- Stay on topic. If you’d like to discuss a topic not previously addressed in the thread, start a new post.
- Do not spam. This includes commercial messages, advertisements, third-party promotions, and related solicitations.
- Do not post anything you didn’t personally create. This includes copyrighted material you’re not authorized to distribute, personal email messages, GEDCOMs owned by other people, and so forth.
- Do not impersonate anyone or be false or misleading. Do not pretend to be an employee or a representative of Ancestry, or impersonate another member of the community.
- Do not make claims or demands regarding Ancestry business practices, operations or upcoming product releases and enhancements.
- Do not call out Ancestry employees by name, title, or responsibility. It is acceptable to tag an Ancestry employee if they are participating in a discussion.
Support Community Moderation
We are not responsible for the content our members create and share in the community, but we reserve the right to remove or edit any posts or comments that disregard these guidelines or violate the terms and conditions of the site you are using. We may edit discussions in any manner we deem appropriate to address improper behavior and to ensure that content aligns to these community guidelines. We may also move discussions between categories and adjust tags for ease of use within the community.
We do not pre-screen or monitor every post and comment. If you see content that you feel violates these community guidelines or the terms and conditions of the site you are using, please let us know. We will review and address flagged content in as timely a manner as possible.
We may remove content and disable accounts for violators of these guidelines or our terms and conditions. In addition, we may work with law enforcement when we believe there is a genuine risk of physical harm or threats to public safety.
Terms and Conditions