Last month at RootsTech our CEO Margo Georgiadis revealed three game changing innovations to give you a clearer and richer view of your history—helping you make more personal discoveries, faster.
- ThruLines™ illustrates how you may be connected to your DNA matches through a common ancestor — and gives you a clear view of how you’re likely related
- MyTreeTags™ provides 20 universal options and the ability to create your own custom tags to highlight personal details or research status for individuals in your family tree
- DNA Matches enable you to easily sort, group, and view your DNA Matches any way you’d like
We launched these features in beta so you could explore them and send us feedback to make your Ancestry® experience even better. Our teams received unprecedented engagement and feedback from all of you, and for that we’re so very grateful. We’re fulfilling our commitment to continuous innovation and improvement by thoughtfully reviewing your feedback and making requested updates.
Here’s what we’re working on:
In just a few short weeks, we’ve already heard stories from many of you who have smashed through brick walls or connected with separated family members as a result of this launch–thank you for letting us be a part of your success.
We’ve heard your requests for this feature and are prioritizing the following updates over the next few months:
- An updated algorithm that only suggests new potential ancestors not already in your family tree
- “Smart suggestions” for how to get discoveries from ThruLines™ even if you already have a large tree linked to an AncestryDNA test
- Providing relationship records and DNA evidence details to help you better understand why potential ancestors are being suggested
- Flexibility to keep or remove suggested potential ancestors from ThruLines™ discoveries
Over 400K members have joined the MyTreeTags™ beta and users love that they can expertly keep track of the details and research status of their ancestors. A few users have asked if the relationship calculator is still accessible in the beta experience and we’re happy to report that it is still available. If you have any feedback regarding this feature, please let us know via this link.
To keep innovating this feature, the MyTreeTags™ team is making the following updates, based on your suggestions:
- An autosave feature in MyTreeTags™ that will replace the manual “save” button
- A new feature guidance tool to help you know how to effectively use MyTreeTags™
- Improved scrolling that is more compatible for members using a FireFox browser
- Making MyTreeTags™ available in mobile app
New & Improved DNA Matches
Thank you for telling us about how you’ve been using color coding, custom labeling, and our other new features to better visualize your DNA connections. Through your feedback, we’ve learned what helps you make meaningful discoveries and in the coming months we will continue refining this feature by:
- Making extra information, such as shared surnames, available on the match profile page
- Moving “add a note” feature and “add a match to a group” feature to the match profile page
- Adding the ability to bulk-add a match’s shared matches to a custom match group
- Showing the number of matches in each match group next to the group name in the match filter
- Moving the search button to a more visible location (next to the match group filters)
Thank you again for all of your suggestions. We’re committed to ongoing iterations to deliver the best possible discovery journeys for our dedicated community, so please continue to tell us about your experience. If you would like to learn more or opt into any of these public betas, please visit our new release page.