To many October means the start of fall weather, turning of the leaves and anything pumpkin flavored but to us October means Family History Month!
Throughout the month of October, we will explore the theme of DNA and how it can strengthen and support your family history research. We will feature educational videos and posts from Ancestry’s own team, along with guest contributors. Perhaps the most exciting part, we’ll be hosting giveaways across our social media channels. So if you’re not already following us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram, there’s no better time to start! We’re also thrilled to be hosting our third annual Find A Grave Day on Saturday, October 7-9th.
We hope you’ll end the month with deeper insights into the lives of your ancestors.
Family History Month Events (Online/Offline)
Take a look at the complete list of events below and mark your calendar so you won’t miss a thing. This is going to be the best Family History Month ever!
- October 4th, 10AM PT / 1PM ET– What’s New at Ancestry: October 2016 Edition – Join Crista Cowan for a quick look at the upcoming genealogy events she’ll be attending. You’ll learn about new features and tools available that can make your family history easier and more fun. She’ll also take a look at some of the great new content released in the past month and show you how best to search it to find the stories of your ancestors’ lives.
- October 7th-9th – Find A Grave Community Weekend – Meet up with hundreds of volunteers across the globe who are joining forces to fulfill hundreds of thousands of photo requests on Find A Grave. You’re invited to join an existing event in your community or start your own event if there isn’t already one at your local cemetery. Learn how you can be a part of the fun here.
- October 13th – AAHGS Conference – Professional genealogist, Crista Cowan will be presenting at the National Conference of the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society (AAHGS) on “The Ancestors on My Mind: Discovering Our Ancestors, Our History, and Ourselves, TOGETHER.” For 37 years, AAHGS has held a national conference to assist African Americans in the search for their roots.
- October 15th – Allen County Public Library with Ancestry – Join professional genealogist, Juliana Szucs on October 15 at the Allen County Public Library to learn about the rich collections on Ancestry and how to improve your research on Ancestry.
- October 15th – “Genealogy Day” at San Diego History Center – From beginners to the experienced researcher, learn how to navigate your family tree at a this half-day event lead by local genealogy experts and keynote speaker: Ancestry’s Anne Gillespie Mitchell will tackle the question all researchers experience, “How Do I Know I’m Right?”
- October 29th – Fairfax Genealogical Society – Join Ancestry’s Anne Gillespie Mitchell at the Fairfax Genealogical Society on October 29th in Annandale, Virginia from 9A to 4P to learn about “Finding Forgotten Stories” and southern family history research.
To stay on top of our most current events calendar for other Ancestry sponsored activities both online and offline, visit our Facebook events page.
Social Media Giveaways
Stay tuned for giveaways throughout the month of October on our Facebook page here. There will be free products including Ancestry memberships, AncestryDNA kits, and more!