Since our last announcement about Software MacKiev acquiring Family Tree Maker, we’re excited to let you know that Software MacKiev has officially begun shipping updated versions of Family Tree Maker Windows 2014 and Mac 3.
This is a free update for current users of the 2014 / Mac 3 versions.
With this, you will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches and are able to continue to save your tree on Ancestry and keep it consistent with your tree in Family Tree Maker.
About the new updates:
Software MacKiev’s first updates pick up where Ancestry left off to ensure a seamless product experience for users. The updates are focused on performance and stability, and are compatible with the latest operating systems (Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan). The updates also contain more than a hundred new royalty-free backgrounds and a set of embellishment art for use in making professional-quality charts.
For more information or to update or purchase Family Tree Maker, visit www.mackiev.com/ftm. For Family Tree Maker users who do not currently have an Ancestry.com subscription, a free 14-day trial will be offered.
- Users of Family Tree Maker 2014 and Mac 3: Free updates will be available through the built-in update mechanism in the Mac and Windows editions. Sign up for Software MacKiev’s mailing list to learn more.
- Users of older Family Tree Maker editions: You can upgrade for to FTM 2014 or Mac3. Upgrades from any edition will be available as a download for $29.95 (vs. $69.95 regular price). There will also be an option to receive an installation CD for an additional $10 by mail. Sign up for Software MacKiev’s mailing list to receive the offer.
- New users: You may purchase a download and/or disc from Software MacKiev’s online store for $69.95. To receive an introductory price offer of $49.95 for a limited period of time, sign up for Software MacKiev’s mailing list.
Ancestry and Software MacKiev are working closely together for the remainder of 2016 to ensure a smooth transition for customer support. For Family Tree Maker customer support inquiries after the March 1 update, please visit Software MacKiev’s support center.
- When will Software MacKiev start selling Family Tree Maker?
Software MacKiev will begin shipping updated versions of Family Tree Maker 2014 for Windows and Family Tree Maker Mac 3 on March 1, 2016. The updated version is free for current users of Family Tree Maker 2014 and Mac 3, and is $29.95 for older Family Tree Maker editions. Importantly, you do not need to purchase an upgrade to use Ancestry.com services through your copy of Family Tree Maker, whether you have the latest version or an older one.
- What happens to the family tree I’ve created using Family Tree Maker? Will it continue to be accessible?
Yes. Software MacKiev is not starting over with a brand new Family Tree Maker, but rather picking up where Ancestry left off. So all your trees will be fully accessible, just as they have been in the past.
- What happens to Family Tree Maker at the end of this year?
Software MacKiev will continue to publish and support Family Tree Maker going forward, and will be developing a new technology before the end of 2016 to replace TreeSync and ensure users can keep their Family Tree Maker trees consistent with their trees on Ancestry.com. We are working together with Software MacKiev to make the transition seamless for users and to ensure key functionality such as uploading and downloading trees, media, as well as web search, continue to function as they do today.
- Will features such as charts, reporting and publishing be enhanced in the future?
Software MacKiev is aware of the importance of charts and reports to Family Tree Maker users and have expressed their commitment to enhance these features going forward. You may visit their Family Tree Maker page where you can place feature requests, report a bug or ask product questions.
- Will I be able to download my full tree?
You can continue to download trees as a GEDCOM file. Users can also download and save historical records and media attached to individuals in their family trees.