Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that covered Print and Profile Image improvements, and this week we introduced a few new improvements to the media viewer.
As always, we have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
Features we introduced:
Easily add your ancestors to the media – For media items in your tree, an ADD button is now present so you can easily add more people from your tree to the media you are viewing. Additionally, if you are looking at media uploaded by another Ancestry member, a SAVE TO MY TREE option will appear so that you can save that media to your tree. We’ve made these options easier to access and clearer. We also made sure the only trees you have been invited to as an editor or contributor will appear in the list.
Click on the button and choose the person you want to link this photo. Type at least three letters of their names and select the individual you’d like to save the media to.
Besides fixing a few bugs, we hide the trees you don’t have permissions to save media to. We also explicitly group trees by those you own and those shared with you.
Remove or unlink from the person gallery completely – Now, you can easily remove the media item completely from the tree. When you click on the trashcan you will be able to choose from two options: remove the media item from the person (unlink), or delete it from the tree completely.
Updates to places for LifeStory – An update was made on the backend to reflect the places in LifeStory more correctly. This update corrected some errors where a place name was incorrectly associated to a wrong location. For example, Cullintra, Lanesboro, Co Longford was showing up for some users as in some Colorado, USA. Now with the fix, it shows as Longford, Ireland correctly.
Features we are still working on
- Member Connect – We will bring back Member Connect under the Facts View tools. You can contact other members who are also researching your ancestors to share your research questions, findings, and more.
- Military Pages – Some of you have done great research around your ancestors’ military background and stories. We will bring back view only version of Military Pages so you can continue to access the content you have created.
- Family Group Sheet – A family view of the of the person and their family
- Continue Search – option to keep searching from within your tree versus right clicking to open new records.
Issues reported this week
Below are some of the issues that surfaced from your feedback this week.
- Relationship calculator randomly not appearing
- Some pages and the image viewer appear to be loading more slowly
- Users feel that the color scheme should be adjusted
- Users would like to be able to access the List of All People
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you. We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
- Learn About Your Ancestors Using the Latest from Ancestry
- What’s New at Ancestry: June 2015 Edition
- Enhance Your Research with Ancestry’s New LifeStory
- Video Overview of the new Ancestry
- Frequently Asked Questions about New Ancestry
- Quick Start Card – Person Facts View
- New Ancestry Customer Forum
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash