Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that covered the location issues and the solution we put in place. This week we introduced some exciting enhancements on Family Events in the Facts view.
As always, we have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
We have updated a number of enhancements on the Tree, LifeStory and Media Viewer, and we have continued to add and refine new features based on your feedback.
Features updated since last week:
- Tree Viewer – You will need to now click to select a person on the tree. Hover effect has been removed due to incompatibility problems with touch-screen devices as the new Ancestry is about improving the experience across all device types. As you hover over a person in the tree, it will highlight and then open when you click. On a touch-screen device (phone or tablet) it will open with a single touch of the person.
- Person Card on the tree viewer – Quick Edit has been moved forward to the main view of the card so users can more easily access it to update any information.
- Show all events on LifeStory – All events now show on the LifeStory by default. This means that any facts that are added on the Facts view will be immediately available in the LifeStory. Right now we show events like birth, death, residence, and etc. on LifeStory with auto-generated narratives. You can now easily view and create your own stories behind any facts or events for your ancestors on LifeStory.
- When you add a new occupation event now for example, LifeStory will automatically feature that event together with any other event types added in the Facts View
- Media viewer –The people that the photo is attached to has been brought to the main screen from behind edit. This also allows users to more easily select who they want the picture show as a profile picture or to unlink the picture.
- You can now change the profile pictures or unlink the picture with one easy click.
Features that we are still working on:
- Profile picture cropping – Edit/crop a profile photo to better fit the frame, or from multiple people to a single person
- Member Connect – Find other members researching a similar ancestor and save info from their family trees
- Family Group Sheet – A family view of the of the person and their family
Top Issues Reported
Below is a status on the issues surfacing from your feedback.
- Circle profile picture – Some users dislike having a circle profile picture
- “Continue searching” missing
- Thumbnails of images you have attached to events on the Facts view
- Dark background white font is hard to see
- Members would like the option to disable LifeStory from showing to anyone else viewing his tree
- Members frustrated by the constant pop ups to try the new ancestry
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you. We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
- Video Overview of the new Ancestry
- Frequently Asked Questions about New Ancestry
- Quick Start Card – Person Facts View
- New Ancestry Customer Forum
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash
- What’s New at Ancestry: June 2015 Edition
- Enhance Your Research with Ancestry’s New LifeStory
- Learn About Your Ancestors Using the Latest from Ancestry