Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that showed some of the progress we were making on the print function in the Facts View. Here is this week’s update on our progress.
We have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
Features updated since last week:
- Printing in LifeStory and Facts view – The print image is now formatted to fit the page while still reflecting the layout and benefits of the LifeStory and Facts view as well as removing the dark backgrounds to reduce unnecessary use of ink for printing. We will also be working on printing for MyCanvas publishing options.
- FamilySearch integration – the new website is now available to LDS-Ancestry Membership Subscription holders.
- Relationship Calculator – This should now display correctly on the profile page.
- Photos – are consistently formatted between the tree viewer, hover card and profile page. Some of our members noted that their ancestors’ photos were inappropriately cropped and these fixes will solve this issue.
Features that we are still working on:
- Profile picture cropping – Edit/crop a profile photo to fit in the circular photo space. If this does not solve the issue with the circle frame, we will consider an alternate route.
- Member Connect – Find other members researching a similar ancestor and save the info from their family trees.
- Family Group Sheet – A family view of the of the person and their family.
Top Reported Issues
Below is a status on the top issues surfacing from your feedback.
- Inaccurate narrations in LifeStory and Facts view – We are looking at how to better represent non-standardized place names and dates. Handling these should help in how the narrative is represented.
- Photos added to events to appear as thumbnails in Facts view – Thank you for your feedback on this. We are evaluating whether to include this functionality in the new site.
- Light and dark color choices – We understand the white font on the darker background has presented some challenges. We will continue to adjust this as more feedback comes in.
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you. We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
More Resources on Ancestry
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash