Welcome to our weekly update on the new Ancestry website. Last week we posted an article that called out upcoming enhancements that we had planned. Here is this week’s update on our progress. We have also included links to articles and videos at the end of this post that will help answer your questions and provide more tips on the new site.
We have updated a number of features, and we continue to add and refine features based on your feedback.
Features updated since the launch of the new Ancestry site:
- Person Media Gallery – Show & Sort. SHOW allows you to show only the media types you want to see – Photos, Stories, etc. SORT allows you to view the data in the order you choose – New to Old, Alphabetical, etc.
- Family Card in Hints – Allows you to see the family of the person you are evaluating Ancestry Hints for – this mirrors the Family Card in the Facts View.
- Research tools – A shortcut that provides you nifty tools such as View in tree, View Notes, View Comments, and Merge with Duplicate. You can access these tools with just one click from the Tools button.
Features that we are still working on:
- FamilySearch integration – LDS Account holders will be able to share information between their Ancestry tree on the new Ancestry site and their Family Tree on FamilySearch.
- Print option on profile pages – A new printer-friendly version of the Facts view or LifeStory view of the individuals in your tree.
- Profile picture cropping – Edit/crop a profile photo to fit in the circular photo space
- Member Connect – Find other members researching a similar ancestor and save info from their family trees
- Family Group Sheet – A family view of the of the person and their family
Top Reported Issues
Below is a status on the top issues surfacing from your feedback.
- Inaccurate narrations in LifeStory and Facts view – We are looking at the language in the narrations and how to better generate narratives.
- Photos added to events to appear as thumbnails in Facts view – Thank you for your feedback on this. We are evaluating whether to include this functionality in the new Ancestry site.
- LifeStory map pins appearing in wrong locations – This has been an issue due to how the locations are evaluated. We implemented a fix last week that will prevent mapping pins for any location that doesn’t have a standardized place. We are also looking at improving the standardized place engine to ensure correct pin placement.
- Relationship Calculator – We have had reports that this has been inconsistent in displaying on the profile page. We are working on a fix and should have this available soon.
We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to keep submitting it. What do you love about the new website? Did you find a bug? Something doesn’t quite work like you think it should? Please submit it via this form. Thank you. We will be providing more updates over the next couple of weeks.
More Resources on Ancestry
- Announcing the New Ancestry Website
- The New Facts View: Make Sure You Are Climbing YOUR Family Tree and Not Someone Else’s
- Ancestry LifeStory: The Life Lived in the Dash