With the long-standing history of Massachusetts, you can expect interesting and rich collections to assist your family history research. Here are five things you may not have known about Massachusetts:
1. Massachusetts was the sixth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution and be granted statehood.
2. Four United States Presidents were born in Massachusetts: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, John F. Kennedy, and George H.W. Bush.
3. Boston Common, located in Boston, became the first public park in America.
4. The majority of New England settlers immigrated for religious reasons rather than economic reasons. Most of them were middle class, skilled craftsman and merchants.
5. Cambridge, Massachusetts is home to Harvard University, the first college established in North America.
Our new free guide “Massachusetts State Research Guide: Family History Resources in the Bay State” has links to resources, a timeline, and a general history of the state. It will help you navigate the waters of Massachusetts state research. Be sure to check out the other state research guides that are available in the Ancestry Learning Center as well.