Sometimes known as the Cotton State, Alabama actually has no official nickname.
Five things you may not have known about Alabama:
- Huntsville is known as the rocket capital of the world.
- Workers in Alabama built the rocket that put the first man on the moon.
- Sequoyah, a Alabama resident, created the Cherokee phonetic, written alphabet.
- A prehistoric skeleton of a man was found in Russell Cave.
- Baseball players Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron and Willie Howard Mays, as well as boxer Joe Louis are all natives of Alabama.
Our new free state guide, Alabama Research Guide: Family History Sources in the Cotton State, has an overview and timeline of the state, along with resources to explore when searching for your Alabama ancestors. Guides for other states are also available in the Learning Center under Free State Research Guides.