Here are five things you might not have known about Wyoming, the Equality State.
1. In 1869, Wyoming became the first territory to grant suffrage to women.
2. J.C. Penney opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming in 1902.
3. Although Wyoming ranks 10th in the nation in size, it ranks 50th in population.
4. Wyoming is home to most of Yellowstone, the country’s first national park. Parts of the park are also in Idaho and Montana.
5. An especially severe winter killed thousands of cattle in “the Great Die-Up” of 1886-1887.