Arkansas was admitted to the Union in 1836 as the 25th state.
Here are five things you might not know about the Natural State:
- Diamonds were discovered in Murfreesboro in 1906; the diamond is the official state gem.
- Oil was discovered near the town of Smackover in 1920; the name Smackover is a variation of “Sumac Couvert” which means “covered in sumac.”
- Alma, Arkansas is known as the Spinach Capital of the world.
- Johnny Cash, the Man in Black, was born in Kingsland, Arkansas.
- Arkansas is from the Quapaw word acansa which means “downstream place or south wind.”
Our new free state guide, “Arkansas Research Guide: Family History Sources in the Natural State,” has an overview and timeline of the state, along with resources to explore when searching for your Mississippi ancestors.
Guides for other states are also available in the Learning Center under Free State Research Guides.