Whether you catch up with us online or in person, we hope you will find the time to expand your family history knowledge.
February 4th at 10am PST: What’s New at Ancestry.com: February 2014 Edition led by Crista Cowan. She will take a quick look at the new features and tools available to help make your family history easier and more fun. She’ll also review the databases full of new content released in the past month and show you how best to search them to find the stories of your ancestors’ lives.
February 6th at 10am PST: African American Family History Research: Breaking the 1870 Wall led by Crista Cowan. The 1870 U.S. Federal Census was the first time freed African Americans were enumerated with their complete names, ages and birthplaces. They were grouped together in households and had occupations listed. Prior to that enslaved blacks were only listed by age and gender. Crista will share some tried and true tips and tricks for identifying your enslaved African American ancestors in slave schedules, wills, estate inventories and plantation records.
February 11th at 10am PST: Highlights from RootsTech 2014 led by Crista Cowan. More than 50,000 people are expected to participate – in person or via remove video streaming – in the RootsTech 2014 genealogy conference. Crista will share some of her favorite moments from the conference and how you can access some of the best classes from the event in RootsTech video archives.
February 13th at 10am PST: Love Stories in Your Family Tree led by Crista Cowan. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and what better time is there to pause and preserve the love stories in your family tree? Join Crista Cowan as she shares how to discover, preserve and share the love stories that brought you into existence.
February 18th at 10am PST: AncestryDNA: Contacting and Collaborating with Cousins led by Crista Cowan. You took the AncestryDNA test. You got back a list of cousin matches. But, you’re not quite sure how you are related to them or what to do with that information. Join Crista Cowan and AncestryDNA Program Manager, Anna Swayne for a discussion about best practices for contacting your DNA cousin matches. They’ll also share some of their tips for collaboration so you can work together to discover who your common ancestors might be.
February 20th at 10am PST: Some Genealogy Records Have No Names led by Crista Cowan. We get so used to searching for people in our family tree by name, that it might not even occur to us to search for them without a name. Crista will shares examples of instances when people are not recorded by name. She’ll share search tips and tricks so you can find those records. Then, she will show you how those records are still of great genealogical value.
February 25th at 10am PST: Correcting Mistakes in Your Own Family Tree led by Crista Cowan. We all make mistakes – especially when we are brand new to family history. You’ll learn some best practices for identifying and correcting common mistakes in your family tree and we’ll share some bonus tips for correcting mistakes in the trees of others.
February 27th at 10am PST: Updating Your Ancestry.com Profile Page and Other Account Settings led by Crista Cowan. It’s always good to do a little housekeeping in your online accounts. We’ll review your online profile and account settings and share some best practices for keeping your profile fresh and interesting. Crista will also show you how to update your account settings so you see what you want to see from Ancestry.com.
Rootstech on February 6th- 8th! Ancestry.com will have a booth in the main hall where we will be hosting hourly tutorials, and several team members will be presenting on topics such as:
- API Simplicity = Speed: Designing APIs That are Easy and Fun to Use by Harold Madsen – Wednesday, 2:00pm in Room 251A
- The Scoop on Newspapers.com led by Peter Drinkwater – Thursday, 10:30am in Ballroom E
- Create Family History Heirlooms with MyCanvas by Lorilee Wagner – Thursday, 2:30pm in Ballroom F
- Online Trees: The Root of All Evil? with Anne Gillespie Mitchell – Thursday, 2:30pm in Ballroom A
- Common Surnames: Finding Your Smiths with Juliana Szucs Smith – Thursday, 2:30pm in Ballroom C
- Let the Records Tell the Story led by Crista Cowan – Friday, 10:30am in Ballroom G
- Using AncestryDNA to Further Your Family History Research by Kenny Freestone – Friday, 10:30am in Ballroom D
- Getting the Most Out of Ancestry.com led by Crista Cowan – Friday, 2:30pm in Hall E
- Learning How to Tune Your Ancestry.com Search with Anne Gillespie Mitchell – Friday, 2:30pm in Ballroom A
- Take Your Research Anywhere with Ancestry.com’s Mobile App by Jason Butterfield – Friday, 4:00pm in Ballroom A
- Personalizing WordPress led Amy Johnson Crow – Saturday, 10:30am in Ballroom D
- Putting Your Ancestors in Historical Perspective: Extracting Stories from Military Records on Ancestry.com and Fold3 with Saturday, 10:30am in Ballroom C
- Behind the Scenes of the Ancestry.com Research Team by Michelle Ercanbrack – Saturday, 1:00pm in Room 254 ABC
- Getting the Most Out of Archives.com led by Amy Johnson Crow – Saturday, 2:30pm in Ballroom B
- DNA Match-Maker, Make Me a Match by Anna Swayne – Saturday, 4:00pm in Ballroom A
We to hope see you online, or off, at one or more of these events!