It is time for a challenge!
We’ll be making our way around the world, one country at a time. Phileas Fogg thought he could go around the world in 80 days, I think we can do it in 8 weeks. Starting and ending as he did in the UK.
Week 1 (October 29-November 2):
- Isle of Wight, England, Non-Conformist Registers, 1832-1937
- West Yorkshire, England, Quarter Session Orders, 1637-1914
- West Yorkshire, England, Alehouse Licences, 1771-1962
Week 2 (November 3-November 9):
- Mainz, Germany, Emigration Register, 1856-1877
- USHMM – Poland, Lòdz Ghetto Register Books, 1939-1944 (Part 1)
- USHMM – Krakow, Poland, Applications for ID Cards for Jews during World War II (Part 5)
Week 3 (November 10-November 16):
- Cartes électorales de Paris et ses environs et d’autres villes françaises, 1900-1932 (France Electoral Cards)
- Lübeck, Germany, Citizenship Register, 1591-1919
Week 4 (November 17- November 23):
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, The Ottawa Journal, 1885-1980
- Kansas, City and County Census, 1919-1978
- U.S., Military Registers, Army (Part 1)
Week 5 (November 24 – November 30):
- Intermission – pick your favorite projects
Week 6 (December 1- December 7):
- City of Savannah – Licenses and Bonds
- US Military Registers, Army (Part 2)
- U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1790-1930
Week 7 (December 8- December 14):
- Pennsylvania, Society of Mayflower Descendants Applications
- Tennessee, Early Land Registers
- Texas, Convict Ledgers and Conduct Registries, 1849-1970
Week 8 (December 15 -December 21):
- Dorset, England, Quarter Session Order Books, 1625-1951
- London Settlement, Shoreditch
- Liverpool, United Kingdom, Crew Lists 1860-1919
There will be a top keyer and reviewer for each week in addition to Daily Challenges that will be announced at the beginning of each week.
Ready, set, go!
*Terms and Conditions: The Project of the Day Challenges (each a “Challenge”) are administered by Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 360 West 4800 North, Provo, Utah 84604, USA (“Ancestry”). The Challenges are open to contributors resident in USA, UK, Canada and Australia, aged 18 or over, except employees or agents of Ancestry or its group companies. Each Challenge begins at 00:01 MST and ends at 23:59 MST on the relevant day. A prize will be awarded to: (1) the contributor who keys the most entries, and (2) the contributor who arbitrates or reviews the most entries, during the period of the Challenge. The prizes will consist of either (i) a copy of FTM, (ii) a 3 month Ancestry membership, or (iii) a DNA test. The prizes cannot be exchanged for money. Contributors may win one prize only. The winners will be notified by e-mail after the end of each Challenge. If a prize winner cannot be contacted within two weeks of being notified, Ancestry reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate winner. Ancestry’s decision is final and binding. No cash alternatives to the prizes will be offered, and the prizes are not transferable. You agree to Ancestry making the name and state of winners available on request. For details of the winners, email email@example.com.