Posted by on 27 October 2011 in General, Record Collections

Good news this week for everyone in Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, plus the millions all over the UK with roots in those areas. We’ve completed the first part of our 1911 Census transcriptions – and you’re the ones to benefit.

Right now, everyone can search for ancestors in Wales and the Crown dependencies just as you would with our other census records. Just type in a name, give your best guesses of things like birth dates and places, and see what you can find.

Many of you have commented before that we tend to start with English records. We’ve taken these observations on board, which is why we’ve concentrated first on other parts of the UK this time.

• 14-Day Free Trial
    GIVE ME ACCESS

It’s obviously great news if you’re one of the three million people in those areas. However, the popularity of surnames like Evans, Jones and Davies shows how the Welsh in particular have spread all over the UK. If you have connections to London, Liverpool or any of the coalmining towns in the North and Midlands, for example, it’s definitely worth checking for Welsh roots.

Remember, this is the first Census where you can see the forms filled in by your ancestors. That means you can study their handwriting, and look for any extra notes or comments. Plus, the records include added information, such as how long couples had been married, and the number of children they’d had.

Search now

We’ll have another set of transcriptions for you, covering a large part of England, within a couple of months.The rest will follow next year. In the meantime, you can continue to use the whole Census by browsing the records. Find out how

hilary gunn

Stunned silence!
Next year now!

27 October 2011 at 4:46 pm
David Newton

I would point out that since there are only a couple of months and a few days left in 2011 now anyway, that it is hardly surprising that a set of transcriptions scheduled to be released later than a couple of months’ time will end up being released in 2012!

28 October 2011 at 1:17 am
Lisa

January blog – “we’re doubling our efforts to make sure the whole collection is definitely available by the end of 2011.” Guess that didn’t work out well then!

At this rate it’ll be this time next year by the time it’s finished, conveniently tapping up more renewals along the way while it’s being drip fed. Very glad now that I let my sub lapse in the summer, with the intention of waiting for any 1911 news. Think I’ll just bide my time instead now for next year.

28 October 2011 at 1:46 am
Chris R

Like Lisa I have let my subscription lapse until the 1911 census becomes available properly. My ancestors came from Manchester and Birmingham in the main – both areas that are well nigh impossible to browse. Perhaps Ancestry could concentrate on large conurbations first as these are the hardest to search by browsing. I also have an ancestor on a lightship (so far it appears to have eluded the census) and others in the Royal Navy – presumably these will be done last of all?

Chris.

28 October 2011 at 11:40 am
Gary

Don’t be so smug, Ancestry. There’s something you’re not telling everyone.

I raised a query several months ago about a missing parish in Margam. Nothing was done. I raised another query this week, as I could still not find my relatives, despite knowing the exact address….This is the reply I received:-

“We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you.

Unfortunately at this time there are several pieces missing from the Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire regions. They will be added at a later date but currently there is no set time frame for that to be done.

We are missing several pieces in Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire namely:
31995, 31996, 31997, 31998, 31999, 32000, 32002, 32003, 32004, 32005, 32006, 32007, 32008, 32009, 32010, 32011, 32012, 32013, 32014, 32015, 32016, 32017, 32018, 32019, 32020, 32021, 32022, 32023, 32024, 32025, 32026, 32027, 32028, 32029, 32030, 32031, 32479, 32581, 32582, 32583, 32584, 32585, 32586, 32587, 32588, 32589, 32590, 32591, 32592, 32593, 32594, 32595, 32596, 32597, 32598, 32599, 32600, 32601, 32602, 32603, 32604, 32605, 32606, 32607, 32608, 32609, 32610, 32611, 32612, 32613, 32614, 32615, 32616, 32617, 32618, 32619, 32620, 32621

What on earth are those numbers meant to represent? All I know is that there must be thousands of missing records.

28 October 2011 at 1:10 pm
hilary gunn

I presume David (comment 2) does not realise how long it is since Ancestry promised these records “as soon as possible” and then “before the end of the year”.

A whole year’s subscription for nothing!

28 October 2011 at 2:57 pm
BroMaelor

Gary, you can also stand by for the usual tens of thousands of spelling mistakes in place names!

28 October 2011 at 3:45 pm
David Newton

Oh I realise it alright. I am also not surprised.

As for those numbers, they are exactly what the message says they are: missing pieces in the RG 14 census record series at the National Archives. RG 14/31995 for example is a part of Newport, specifically registration district 587, sub-district 2, enumeration district 36. For some reason it appears that Ancestry do not have those pieces. However they do appear to exist as Findmypast seems to have RG 14/31995, schedule 1 for example. Consequently unlike the gaps in earlier censuses where the enumerators’ summary books have genuinely disappeared into thin air, these omissions should be rectified eventually.

28 October 2011 at 5:12 pm
mark

Like a few others I will let my subs lapse until next year when the 1911 is complete, I was hoping it would be complete this year. FMP had the gave the same type of promises but it kept on being put back before it was finally complete. Anyway next year all the omissions in the last coloum should be visible or is it the year after?

29 October 2011 at 6:55 am
Gail

Well, thanks, glad I landed here. I have been looking for ages for a record I know exists. Have the piece number, address, schedule number, the lot but cannot find it. Reading the comment from Gary I now know why. What I want is on one the ‘missing’ schedules. Was going to go to Find my Past but stayed with ancestry seeing they were promising 1911 images and also seeing I have lots of people to find in Yorkshire and the new Parish records have helped alot. I have resisted buying credits for 1911census.co.uk when my ancestry membership is so expensive. Just a pity they could not put a mention of the missing schedules (but not missing to FMP) on the home page. Would have saved a lot of agro this weekend. What a waste of time.

31 October 2011 at 12:20 pm
Peter

I have, like several other people who have left comments, let my subscription lapse from july this year because of the lack of progress with the 1911 Census.I feel that Ancestry owes us some money for the fact that it was all promised for this year .I don’t think that that is likely to happen but we can only hope. A discount for subs if we ever do get to a full indexing of the 1911 with all missing schedules would go some way towards addressing the balance. If not I may go to 1911census.co.uk

2 November 2011 at 2:41 pm
Phil

key words “large part of England” i.e not all. Is that large by numbers of enumerated persons or land mass? I guess large land mass with 1-2 hamlets!!

“within a couple of months” Gets you nicely to the end of 2011 as couple =2. Note within rather than about!

Eventually found my one welsh rellie – mistranscribed birth place. Correction submitted!

3 November 2011 at 7:08 pm
Andi

Unfortunately, from what I have seen so far of some of the entries for the Channel Islands, the transcriptions are of the same low quality as the prevous censuses. That is, there are many errors, often very obvious, which seem to indicate that the original transcription work was not followed up by any double-checking or editing at all. Names, birthplaces and addressses have a high number of errors. In many cases, the transcribers had no obvious knowledge of French and/or common CI surnames and locations.
The only pieces of info which are transcribed with a high degree of accuracy are the ages. Occupations are often nonsensical words or unintentionally humourous, eg. a Hotel Keeper described as a Hotel Kicker, and a 65 year old widow living on her own means is transcribed as Killing on Own Means.
This is nothing to be proud of, Ancestry. Yet many of us continue to pay our subscriptions in order to view this long-awaited info and, in many cases, correct your transcription errors (for free). And, yes, I realise that subscribing is a choice we make.

6 November 2011 at 12:09 am
BroMaelor

Andi, I have to agree. This must be the worst transcription that Ancestry have ever produced? It is rushed and slipshod. I can’t believe that any checking took place whatsoever because many of the errors are so obvious that would have been found in the simplest of checks, assuming the transcribers were fluent in English of course!!!

7 November 2011 at 12:29 pm
Buddhist Weddings | Sussex Wedding Planner

[...] seeds, coins and, in more rural communities, a tomcat. These symbolise fertility and happiness. There is no set wedding service in the Buddhist faith. The founder of the Buddhist religion did not…e based on a deep mutual respect between partners and that it should be a partnership of equals. [...]

8 February 2012 at 1:13 am