Posted by on 20 October 2011 in Record Collections

To celebrate today’s launch of more than 3.9 million Parish records from Warwickshire and Dorset, we’ve lined up a number of exciting things for you over the coming week, including the chance to win will receive a National Trust voucher for two cream teas, the chance to interact with Historian and TV presenter Tony Robinson and a live chat with our very own resident expert and genealogist Miriam Silverman.

We’ve put together useful hints and tips about Parish records, and how best to search them on Ancestry.co.uk, so just go to www.ancestry.co.uk/Parish and you will find everything you need to get started.

Next Tuesday Tony Robinson will be speaking to radio stations across the UK about the launch of our new Parish records. To view his full radio schedule and see whether he’ll be talking to your local station, be sure to check our Facebook page from 8am on the 25th October.

You’ll also have the chance to ask Tony anything you like on our Facebook page on the 25th so stay tuned because as soon as we know the exact time he can chat to us between radio interviews, it will be posted on our page.

On Monday the 24th October, five questions testing your knowledge about Parish records will appear in a new post here on our blog.  All those who respond correctly will be entered into a prize draw to win a voucher for two National Trust cream teas*. To help us judge your answers we’re teaming up with UK genealogist and family history journalist and blogger Chris Paton. The first 20 selected out of the correct answers will receive a voucher for two cream teas*.  Full details will be included in the post with the questions next Monday.

Finally, on the 27th October, resident genealogist Miriam Silverman will be on Twitter for one hour to respond to any questions or queries you may have about Parish records. Full details on this will appear next week on our Facebook and Twitter pages so stay tuned!

*The voucher entitles the bearer to two cream teas of tea, scone, jam and cream. It is redeemable at a National Trust run tearoom, cafe or restaurant (not a concession). It cannot be exchanged for money and will be valid until the 6th June 2012.

Paul Towse

I don’t think I’ll be making much use of the Warwickshire Parish Records as I’m pretty certain nobody on my tree was christened, married or buried there.

But, I’m sure that there are lots of users who will welcome this collection and find it very useful in furthering their research. Additions are always very welcome, even if I don’t make much use of them personally.

What I have found frustrating, in terms of Parish Records, is that I have no idea what Ancestry is working on!!!

Obviously, I can see on the World Archives Project what things are being worked on and how they’re progressing.

But, as far as things that Ancestry are doing outside of the World Archives Project are concerned I’ve no idea what is happening.

It would be great if Ancestry could give users some information about the collections that they are working on as it would give us all something to look forward to. I’m not expecting anything like target completion dates, as I realise that all manner of things can happen to cause delays.

But, from a personal point of view, it would be great if I knew one way or the other whether you’re working on the East Yorkshire Parish Records or the Sussex Parish Records etc.

I’m sure other users would be interested in this type of information as well.

20 October 2011 at 1:19 pm
JayKay

So would the Competitors!!!!!
Jay

20 October 2011 at 4:20 pm
Andrew Bore

The first two sets of images for Temple Grafton in the collection Warwickshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1502-1812 are actually those of Binton.

20 October 2011 at 7:17 pm
Naomi

Paul, we really appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, at this point in time our policies prohibit us from releasing most information on records and databases that are in the works. Because we are a public company, we have to be very careful with details that are released about our website. We sincerely regret any frustration this may cause. You can find limited information by going to http://www.ancestry.co.uk/Whatsnew. Hope that clarifies things a bit!

20 October 2011 at 11:01 pm
Paul Towse

Naomi,

Thanks for your reply.

Whilst Ancestry is undoubtedly a fantastic resource for those of us interested in Family History, I do feel that there is a lack of “information from the top”.

Whilst I appreciate that there is lots of work going on behind the scenes to gain access to new record collections and to make them available on the site, surely a little more information is possible?

Obviously there may be legal reasons why Ancestry cannot disclose some or all of the records that they are engaged in working on. But, once the “deal has been signed”, digital images have been taken and Ancestry is in the process of transcribing the information that the record sets contain it should be possible for you to tell us what is being worked on?

We know, for example, that the 1911 census is being transcribed and that’s great but, beyond that, I’ve no idea what other UK collection Ancestry is working on at the moment.

It would be nice if we could have a “Coming Soon” update from time to time which listed those projects for which images have been taken and are currently in the process of being transcribed.

21 October 2011 at 9:01 am
Chris R

I can understand the secrecy prior to releasing collections, but once released why can’t you tell us properly what they contain? For parish records we need to know which towns and which churches are covered, whether they are original or bishop’s transcripts and preferably what percentage of the total area they represent. Your Liverpool records, for example, I suspect cover about five percent of the churches in the city, yet you hype them up as though every single church is covered. Come on Ancestry – give us decent descriptions of your data.

Chris.

21 October 2011 at 11:49 am
hilary gunn

What Dorset records? It says at the top “Warwickshire and Dorset parish records” When I click on there are only Warwickshire ones. I was hoping this was an addition to the dorset ones released earlier this year.

21 October 2011 at 10:20 pm
mick

Hello,

How long does it take for these records to become searchable from an individual on the family tree ? At the moment you have to go to the front page or card catalog to search through the Warwickshire BMD’s.

23 October 2011 at 11:27 am