Posted by on 5 November 2010 in Company News, General, Record Collections

In August we launched our biggest collection of the Year – the UK National Probate Calendar – online for the first time ever.  Here at ‘Ancestry Towers’ we were understandably excited and, ahead of the formal announcement (and careful to keep the exact record collection being launched a secret), we first relayed news about ‘our biggest launch of the year’ on this very Blog.

This was then further relayed via our respective Twitter and Facebook pages, amid much speculation from our always-enthusiastic members about the identity of the records about to be made available.  Whilst one or two of you guessed correctly (gold stars to you) and the Probate Calendar has gone on to become one of the most popular collections on our website, reading the comments on our blog and  Facebook fan page, one couldn’t miss the strength of feeling around having access to another major record set on Ancestry.

‘We want the 1911 census!’ was the clear and resounding message.  “We’re fed up with paying such high fees for access to this information – when are we getting the 1911 census?” came the unmistakable cry from our members.  And so it is today that we are delighted to be able to confirm the full and complete England and Wales 1911 Census is coming to Ancestry.

Starting with an initial launch of content later this year and finishing up sometime in 2011; all the convenience, powerful intuitive search, product innovation and value you’ve come to expect will also apply to the latest, largest and most significant England and Wales census resource yet.

fallingonabruise

Brilliant news !

Is it going to be a pay per view, seperate subscription or included in premium sub ?

5 November 2010 at 11:28 am
Dan Jones

Hi there – it will be available to all of our membership package holders – UK Essentials, Premium and Worldwide.

5 November 2010 at 11:43 am
Maggie Russell

I have been waiting for the 1911 census for months now! I have joined another website i.e Genes Reunited to get access to this info. It has cost me a lot of money £68 + for 6 months.
I am so annoyed with Ancestry as I pay £18 + a month, when I thought they would provide me with this info. But NOT! Anyway so when is it going to be available? Now I Hope?

Best regards
Margaret (Maggie) Russell

5 November 2010 at 11:52 am
dorothy laker

Excellent News….

5 November 2010 at 11:59 am
Emma Wild

Thank you, can’t wait.

5 November 2010 at 12:07 pm
heather marchant

brilliant news that will help my immediate family immensely cant wait.

5 November 2010 at 12:54 pm
vivian thomas

I hope the 1911 will be included in the basic yearly payments and or once again we miss out because you have to pay extra.
i,m an old age pensioner and things are expensive enough with out having to payout to view everything extra to what is paid once a year
sorry to moan

5 November 2010 at 12:57 pm
Dan Jones

We will be launching the first section of the 1911 England and Wales Census content before the end of the year, with the complete Enumerators Summary Books, after which we will begin the process of putting the Householder Schedules online in sections, completing in 2011.

We haven’t yet finalised our delivery timetable but we will keep all our members fully updated throughout the process of making the 1911 census available on our site.

@Vivian – the 1911 Census will be available to all of our membership package holders – UK Essentials, Premium and Worldwide.

Thank you all for your comments – we’re really excited as well!

5 November 2010 at 1:00 pm
Bekko

That’s wonderful!

(How about putting Wales first … for a change! ;-) )

5 November 2010 at 1:10 pm
Rob Burns

Maggie,

You may not realise but Brightsolid who own Find My Past and Genes reunited were the company to digitise and index the 1911 census after winning the contract from the government. Within that contract they had a 6 month exclusivity clause which kicked in when they put the last of the indexes on their server. So dont go blaming Ancestry for something they had no control over.

Now how about getting a hold of the naval records to compliment the ww1 records.

Rob

5 November 2010 at 2:06 pm
Ian

Is there any possibility of the 1911 Scotland census appearing on Ancestry after it has been released next year?

5 November 2010 at 2:45 pm
Spud

Great news about launching the 1911 census on Ancestry, I can now cancel my subscription to findmypast when it runs out. I wonder when you will fix the problems with the 1901 census as reported 3 years ago and again 3 weeks ago and was told that it would be fixed shortly. I suppose in genelogy terms three years is a whisker of time, but in financial terms its an eon.

5 November 2010 at 4:07 pm
bromaelor

At long last!!!!
Let’s hope that Ancestry’s transcriptions have fewer spelling mistakes than those of findmypast!

5 November 2010 at 6:00 pm
Sarah

Will the 1911 census be included in the Library version of Ancestry?

5 November 2010 at 6:01 pm
Jane

Can’t wait!

5 November 2010 at 6:13 pm
Phil How

Excellent news! Well done indeed.
Like many others I have paid the Pay per view prices to Brightsolid or whoever, and have already accessed the information that was most important to me. However it will be brilliant to be able to check whether it’s the right person without having to pay first.
Beat of luck with the indexing! Will you be able to use existing indexing and images initially or must you image and transcribe everything before you release it?
I’m as impatient as everyone else, but I know that realistically you will provide the service as soon as you can.
Exciting stuff anyway.
Regards
Phil How

5 November 2010 at 6:25 pm
Penny Holt

Although I am always in favour of having another highly demanded database on Ancestry, I have certain qualms in two areas.

First, please make sure that your transcriptions are more accurate than the last lot of censuses that you did. I know that nobody is perfect, and what with bad writing, etc. errors are bound to happen, but they can be minimized. Use people who understand the language and customs to to transcribe. Use of a gazetteer can clear up a lot of uncertainty around place names, etc. Then you wouldn’t have to rely on subscribers to make the corrections so often. Other organizations such as Family Search and FreeBMD have good protocols, if you need examples.

Secondly, I’d like the census to be easier to search. One of the reasons that I like FMP is because I can also search by address. Will we be able to do that? Will we also be able to search the enumerators’ summary pages, i.e. the pages where they describe the area enumerated? These are very helpful.

Finally, on your other release, the PPR — I am thrilled with that and I look forward to its completion. When will that be?

5 November 2010 at 7:20 pm
bromaelor

Penny. Having now seen very many of the 1911 census sheets, it is obvious that the pages are far clearer than some of the older censuses and that people’s handwriting has improved! So the transcribing the censuses should be a lot more accurate. Unfortunately this has not been the case with findmypast! Personal names and place names are simply full of errors, even when the original document is easy to read. I can only put this down to “off-shore” transcribers???

5 November 2010 at 9:07 pm
Joy Dean

That is interesting.
When I enquired earlier this year, I was told that the enumerators books were to be uploaded this year only and that there was no news of when anything else in the 1911 census would be available.

5 November 2010 at 11:47 pm
revoda

Great news…….was beginning to give up and even thinking of moving elsewhere. Looking forward now to the launch.

5 November 2010 at 11:49 pm
aussiekate

Can’t wait for will the 1911 census! Will it be available on the Library version of Ancestry?

6 November 2010 at 1:30 am
Ron Lankshear

Personally I thought the release just recently of a Name Index of LMA from 1538 was BIG. I have lots of people to research now.
A name index to the Poor law records would be good!!!

Can we look forward to more Parish Registers in other places?

6 November 2010 at 2:51 am
Boo

Good news, but as the announcement opens with referring to the National Probate Calandar , maybe it would be good to get that right before releasing anything else?
As has been reported numerous times, there are many, many pages from the Probate Calendar that have not been transcribed / uploaded (see 1930 names beginning with R & S for example, where only every other page has been done) I have been told by ancestry that it will take ‘months’ to get round to rectifying it, despite the fact that lots of customers paid extra to access it.

6 November 2010 at 4:31 pm
Penny Holt

I couldn’t agree more with Boo. Please, please, pretty please finish the National Probate Calendar. What’s the hold up, anyway?

6 November 2010 at 7:11 pm
judy

although i was able to move my tree several years for 7 of my great grand parents with out too much difficulty fairly quickly, i had a brick wall with the last one. she being unmarried to her partner who she did not met until after the 1901 census. with her death at age 50 in 1923 some 76 years before i started my foray into family history and with both my grandparents dead meant i only had her name from her children’s birth certs. of course as is the way with brick walls in genealogy there were several candidates. this meant i needed to either stop and search each one and buy relevant bmd which i could not afford anyway, or wait until the census appeared for either 1911 or 1922. my only two chances to get much needed info. with the arrivel of the 1911 i finally found the much needed info saving me a vast amount of money and time. within a couple of days i had moved back several generations. the only draw back i had to pay extra to another provider to get the info. but now with the 1911 coming to ancestry i look forward to find others in other parts of my tree, and more importantly check my research against the entries at no extra cost. THANKYOU

7 November 2010 at 6:22 pm
Phil

This is fantastic news! It will save me so much money as I’ve been coughing up £30 every three months to ‘the competition’. I’m a great fan of ‘ancestry.co.uk’ and have found out shedloads of information so far. This will really enhance your site and put you ahead of the game. Many thanks!

7 November 2010 at 6:34 pm
Dan Jones

Hi all – we are indexing the Enumerator Summary Books which are head of household returns.

We are using images supplied by TNA but are re-indexing the series from scratch.

The records will be available on the Library version of Ancestry.

We appreciate that our UK National Probate Calendar is an important resource for you, and we are working hard to correct transcription errors. However, this is a database fix and therefore doesn’t impact on new content production like 1911.

Thanks all for your comments.

9 November 2010 at 4:18 pm
Our Biggest Announcement of the year (Part 2) | Daily Magazines

[...] Our Biggest Announcement of the year (Part 2) [...]

9 November 2010 at 4:48 pm
aussiekate

Will the census returns show the end column that is covered at the moment about the disabilities?

13 November 2010 at 7:22 am
Prairie Girl

As mentioned but not replied to – when will Ancestry introduce address searching to your census returns?

14 November 2010 at 6:34 pm
Simon

Great news re release of the 1911 census. Will look forward immensely to that! One question – and forgive my ignorance here – but what do people mean when they refer to the “Library version of Ancestry”

18 November 2010 at 12:54 am