AUTHORED BY TANA L. PEDERSEN (FROM ANCESTRY.COM)
You’ve been waiting patiently and it’s finally here! Family Tree Maker 2011 introduces more than 100 enhancements (many based on customer requests) to help you create your family story like never before. Here are just a few of the exciting new features you’ll enjoy:
- Smart Stories—a narrative tool. If you’ve always wanted help starting your own family history book, this is the tool you’ve been waiting for. Smart Stories helps you quickly fill up those blank pages by letting you use facts, sources, and notes you’ve already entered in your tree. Simply drag-and-drop the text into your story. And smart story text is linked to your tree; if you make changes, text will be updated automatically.
- New and improved charts. In addition to four new fan charts, you’ll be able to enhance your charts with new backgrounds, borders, and embellishments. You can even change fonts based on fact types.
- New and improved reports. Ancestor and descendant reports have been improved and added to. You’ll also find a new Surname Report, the ability to sort custom reports, and the option to save and reuse report settings.
- More Ancestry integration. Ancestry has millions of members all over the world. And now you can find out which members are searching for your ancestors by viewing Member Connect activity in the expanded Web Dashboard. You’ll also see links to message boards and notification of your new Ancestry messages. In addition, uploading and downloading speeds have been improved.
- New media management tools. Now you can drag-and-drop, cut-and-paste, and even categorize multiple items at the same time. You’ll also find a new tool that helps you locate missing media files.
Also, in coming weeks I’ll be writing about how to use some of these new features. Please come back to the blog to learn more and also to let others knows how 2011 is working for you.