Posted by on 7 October 2010 in Site Features

AUTHORED BY JEN HODNETT (FROM ANCESTRY.COM)

Have you ever found a person in your tree and asked yourself “how are we related”?  I know I have. In fact, many of you have asked for something that would help you easily find an answer to that question and we’ve listened.

We’ve just added a new feature in your Ancestry.co.uk Member Tree that will allow you to view the relationship between you and a relative in your tree.  You can access this new feature by going to any person’s profile page in your family tree and clicking “View relationship to me”.  I decided to give it a try for my relative Braxton Cranford to see how he is related to me.

Once I clicked the link, a window appeared that returned how Braxton is related to me as well as the trail of people who helped create the connection between us.  It turns out that four people separate me and my great grand uncle Braxton.  (I’ve blurred the names of my living relatives)

Now that I’ve selected to see how Braxton is related to me, I’ll be able to see that relationship displayed below his name on his profile page.  I can also pull up the line of people that created the connection by clicking the “View relationship to me” link again.

Another noteworthy feature is that family members you’ve invited to your tree will see how they’re related to people in the shared tree. We calculate the relationship based on who “you” are in the tree which is sometimes different from the “home” person. If your relative looks at the tree and calculates a relationship, it will be based on who his relative is in the tree.

As I’ve used this new feature it’s been great to relate more directly to the people in my tree.  Braxton isn’t just a name anymore; he’s my great grand uncle.

Tweets that mention Find out how you are related to other people in your Ancestry.co.uk Member Tree -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Photos Reunited, Ancestry.co.uk. Ancestry.co.uk said: Find out how you are related to other people in your Ancestry.co.uk Member Tree: AUTHORED BY JEN HODNETT (FROM ANC… http://bit.ly/95spzV [...]

7 October 2010 at 7:28 pm
Moira Fidler

Thoroughly enjoyed using it as I’ve never managed to get to grips with working out who was 1st or 2nd cousins etc ‘several times removed’ .
One question….can anyone looking at your tree be able to see the relationship?

7 October 2010 at 9:25 pm
ron

i would like to look at someone else tree and be able to use this tool to find out relationships in that tree too!

8 October 2010 at 1:01 am
D

Well, sounds a great idea, but it wasn’t working on the .co.uk site tonight. It even told me I was not related to my father. Hope this is just a temporary blip.

8 October 2010 at 1:32 am
Chris

I agree with ron, Can we see the relationship with someone in another tree, it’s great when others share their tree with you but confusing to how they are linked.

8 October 2010 at 8:25 am
Pat

I think this is a really good function. However ever since I’ve started using it I have found that when I search for one person’s details the name at the top of the screen is the last person I looked at (hope that makes sense!!) is this just me or are other people experiencing this problem?

9 October 2010 at 9:25 pm
Moira Fidler

Pat you are not alone! I have had the same problem along with many others who have mentioned it on face book

10 October 2010 at 7:35 pm
Pat

Moira thanks for the reply. its a relief to know its not my computer (or me) going mad! lets hope they read the comments and can do something about the problem. I am going to e-mail them just in case they dont!

10 October 2010 at 9:57 pm
Cynthia Wise

Discovered this new facility tonight, and it is fabulous, I now know who my 40+ generations are, and can follow the whole line through today. My granddaughter will be thrilled when I tell her tomorrow!

11 October 2010 at 9:25 pm
Gary

This feature is fantastic. I have now discovered that my wife of 5 years; despite coming from a completely different part of the UK, is in fact my 7th cousin, as we share the same Great Grandfather x 6. What are the odds on that happening?

12 October 2010 at 9:41 am
Ancestry.co.uk_Kelly

Gary – that is truly an amazing story! Thanks for sharing :)

Pat and Moira – thank you for flagging this, as with all new functionality you get the odd bug. I will be sure to forward on to our technical team to get it fixed!

12 October 2010 at 11:47 am
Margaret

Hi,have just been on my Ancestry Tree still have the same problem as Pat & Moira,good to know I am not alone.Otherwise all ok new feature great and easy to use Thanks.

12 October 2010 at 4:47 pm
Brenda

Thanks for a fantastic new feature. Brilliant to know of the relationships in the tree as I have really struggled in the past when I have been asked how are we related.

12 October 2010 at 5:51 pm
Paul Horvath

Glad this has been added to Ancestry online, it is on Family Tree Maker & keep having to switch between the two to find out how i am related to everyone.

13 October 2010 at 6:50 am
E P Hindmarsh

I cannot find the “Edit This Person” on my Tree. Please would someone give me a Duumy’s Guide to How to do It.
Eddie Hindmarsh

16 October 2010 at 9:32 am
Alan Bushell

some of the information is incorrect how is my paternal grandmother the wife of my father in law???

17 October 2010 at 6:29 pm
Mike Greatorex

I often find that on an ancestors profile page under the title “Recent Member Connect Activity” you find someone else has an interest in the person you have entered in your tree. I always try and make a point of contacting them to see what the connection is. What annoys me is that sometimes these people ignore you and you know they will be getting an email from Ancestry telling them that a message from me is available to view. But you have to grin and bear it because you cannot do anything about it. But it still riles!!
Mike Greatorex
Harrogate, England

18 October 2010 at 8:32 pm
Peter Spencer

One of my uncles married his fourth cousin. My aunt is also my fourth cousin once removed but when I checked her relationship via my Ancestry tree it just said that she was my uncle’s wife.

Second, third, fourth etc cousins and the term removed can be confusing. http://www.obliquity.com/family/misc/cousin.html contains a chart which explains how to calculate the relationship between two persons.

20 October 2010 at 5:04 pm