Posted by on 19 July 2010 in General

Who Do You Think You Are? returns to our screens tonight, with an episode dedicated to the nation’s favourite octogenarian, Bruce Forsyth.

This Brucie Bonus marks the start of a full series of UK programmes – indeed, the 2010 Who Do You Think You Are? run will be the longest for six years, as nine celebrities attempt to dig up their roots.

The other household names who will be taking the emotional path through their family histories are: film star Rupert Everett; Dervla Kerwin of Ballykissangel fame; gardener Monty Don; TV actor Rupert Penry-Jones; comedian Alexander Armstrong; Holby City’s Hugh Quarshie; Alan Cumming of GoldenEye and X-Men 2; and soap star Jason Donovan.

Bruce’s episode looks like getting Who Do You Think You Are? 2010 off with a bang, as he sets out to discover the truth about a great-grandfather he believes may have been a bigamist. His quest leads him through London, Belfast and eventually America, before eventually coming to a shocking conclusion.

This first episode starts at 9pm tonight, on BBC1.

We’ll be keeping a close eye on the series right here. After each episode, we’ll have a full recap of the celebrity’s story, plus a host of top tips to help you trace similar tales in your own family history.

Check back tomorrow for our response to Bruce’s foray into a different sort of generation game. In the meantime, let us know your hopes and expectations for the upcoming programmes in the comments below.

Tweets that mention Who Do You Think You Are? returns! -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cheryl Lancaster and BMSGH, Ancestry.co.uk. Ancestry.co.uk said: Who Do You Think You Are? returns!: Who Do You Think You Are? returns to our screens tonight, with an episode dedi… http://bit.ly/aMQ1sG [...]

19 July 2010 at 6:22 pm
anne Hulbert

great really looking forward to watching Brucie I think he is brilliant!

19 July 2010 at 8:30 pm
Clive Leegood

What a good episode that was. I have been waiting for ages for a memorial or similar to be left . Thought Hislop might, but, trust Brucie to do the decent thing after the horrible final discovery of a paupers grave for his Great grandfather. Hopefully the rest of the series will be of similar standard

19 July 2010 at 10:08 pm
Susan Welburn

Another enthralling show just know this series will be as good as the previous ones. Excellent TV well done BBC.

19 July 2010 at 10:27 pm
colin halkyard

Have just watched the 1st episode & found it fascinating, especially as in my own research i have found a case of bygamy by my gt grandmother. i also found the ending moving & was wondering if it would be possible for ancestry to post a photo of the completed memorial bruce has commisioned, as i would love to see what it looks like. carnt wait for next wek

19 July 2010 at 10:34 pm
Phil Preston

A fantastic start to the new series! The part with Bruce meeting his American relatives was particularly moving. Really looking forward to the next episode!!

19 July 2010 at 10:42 pm
margaret

I watched the show tonight it was very interesting.Especially the lady that sent Bruce the letter, I think her name was Linda Mundy,as this is my maiden name,also spelt the same way.I am trying to trace my fathers family tree, without success.I was wondering if the lady inquisition, was a long lost relative.

19 July 2010 at 11:16 pm
Teresa Berrsley

gonna see it on iplayer tomorrow, is it on every monday?

19 July 2010 at 11:18 pm
Denise Howes

Found it easy to watch and enjoyable – does Brucie have some of his great grandfather’s traits I wonder ! He has married several times, oh err !! But we all love him !! Especially me, I appeared on the stage with him in Bournemouth aged about 7 – will always remember it as he made me courtsey in my trousers !! He was ‘doing the summer season’ I still have a toy poodle that was presented to me !! Do you think it might be worth anything !!
A good programme, thank you Mr. Bruce Forsyth for sharing it, and fancy him marrying in New York all those years after his great grandfather was there !! Spooky !!

19 July 2010 at 11:40 pm
Teresa Berrsley

a very good well put together programme. I really enjoyed this moving story which was easy to follow. It was good to see the family reunion I felt quite emotional too, and could feel Bruces pain to see this grand grave yard and no stone for his relative, at least he has the means to put that right! looking forward to the next rogramme.
thank goodness for iplayer I would have missed this programme!!

20 July 2010 at 9:28 am
eric

I WATCHED BRUCE PROGRAMME BIT DISSAPOINTED THAT THEY ONLY WENT BACK TO HIS GREAT GRANDFATHER.JOSEPH.I HAVE BEEN DOING HIS TREE AND
HAVE GONE BACK TO HIS .5.TH.GREAT GRANDFATHER.
AND I NOTICED NO MENTION OF HIS MUMS SIDE OF THE
FAMILY WHICH I HAVE ALSO DONE.AND IM BACK TO 1850
SO FAR.

20 July 2010 at 10:25 am
Ruth Davison

Excellent programme and the usual high standard we have come to expect.
A reminder to all of us tracing our ancestors that what we find may not be what we expect or would like. Nevertheless the dignified way Bruce accepted the sad truths about the familiy/families and the dogged determination to find out what really happened is also a lesson to us all. Sometimes it is disappointing not to see a family traced further back but producers decide what goes into the programme and I suppose they concentrated on this because it made “good television” Perhaps we could have a “Revisited” series where the celebs look for the rest of the family not touched in the first programme!

20 July 2010 at 12:39 pm