Think you know what your grandparents were up to in 1940? Test your knowledge with this 1940 quiz.
1. Which snack favorite was not available in 1940?
d. Krispy Kremes
2. Which adult beverage brands got their start in 1940?
a. Wild Turkey
b. Jack Daniel’s Black Label
c. Lone Star beer
d. Coors beer
3. Which game would not have been on the parlor table in 1940?
4. Which item would not have been on the pantry shelf?
b. Underwood deviled ham
c. Orville Redenbacher popcorn
d. Skippy peanut butter
5. Which invention would your grandparents still be waiting for in 1940?
a. nylon stockings
c. automatic clothes dryer
d. Quonset hut
6. Which was not an option for your grandparents on a night out in 1940?
b. a pie at Pizzeria Uno
c. Colonel Sanders’ original recipe
d. a drive-in movie
7. Which hadn’t appeared yet by the end of 1940?
a. Mountain Dew
b. an FM radio station
c. the first Social Security check
d. the Budweiser Clydesdales
e. Smokey the Bear
You can visit the 1940s yourself via Ancestry.com’s 1940 Time Machine at http://www.ancestry.com/timemachine.
Answers: 1. c, 2. a & c, 3. b, 4. c, 5. d, 6. b, 7. a
Image courtesy of the Library of Congress.
About Jeanie Croasmun
Jeanie Croasmun has been working at Ancestry.com while futilely attempting to prove the horse thief story in her family history for over seven years. During that time, she learned enough about her family to determine that the story is likely a great work of fiction. But the search continues ...