One of the questions I hear often through e-mail or on the blog is â€œHow do I correct my ancestorâ€™s information on Ancestry?â€Â To enable users to correct erroneous information found on the site, Ancestry provides a Comments and Corrections feature. This could include transcription errors, the addition of birth or maiden names (e.g., if a known name change has occurred), nicknames (to increase search options that will locate this record), name variations (if these occur for records), and incorrect originals (i.e., the original record is incorrect).
To add a comment or correction:
- Click on the Comments and Corrections link from the individual’s record page
- Click the Add an Alternate Name link on the next page
- Enter information in the First Name and Last Name fields
- For the Reason, indicate any of those previously indicated
- Provide a brief but helpful explanation of the information you enter
- Click the Submit Correction button
Once it’s live, people searching for your ancestor will be able to find them using the alternate spelling you have provided. You can find answers to many more questions like this in the Ancestry Knowledge Base. In addition to the library of FAQs, there are also tabs where you can get Live Support via chat (Monday – Friday:Â 09:00 AM – 07:00 PM EST) or Email Ancestry Support.