To learn about databases, indexes, article abstracts, occupation directories, ethnic databases, and other electronic items that might aid in your search or add background to your family history, check the database holdings of college and university libraries. That institution may allow on-site access to non-alumni community members. If you are an alumnus, you are more likely to be able to also gain home computer access to some databases. Access is also governed by the owner of the database, and the subscribing institution must abide by contractual usage limits. While on university websites, browse the Special Collections and Archives sections for a look at the superb holdings in these areas.
Hereâ€™s a sampling of university library websites:
- St. Cloud State University St. Cloud, Minnesota
- University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming
- West Virginia University Libraries, Morgantown
- University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville
- University of California, Berkeley