I was talking to a co-worker in the Ancestry Store this week and he mentioned that Mozy, an automatic online back-up service, is now available through the Ancestry Store. My mother, Lou Szucs,Â uses this product and is very happy with it and I’m thinking of trying it too. The service is $4.95 a month and Mom likes theÂ comfort in the factÂ that it automatically backs up her files.
Since we’ve had a few tips in recent weeks (and another in Monday’s Ancestry Weekly Journal) I thought I’d put up the description here on the blog.Â
Mozy Online Backup
Do you have a backup copy of all your important computer files? What if all those countless hours spent researching, writing, building out the family tree and scanning photos were lost with a single hard drive crash? Think of Mozy Online Backup as an insurance policy for your important computer files. Unfortunately, every computer is vulnerable to hard drive crash, theft, virus attack, spyware and other forms of disaster. The good news is that Mozy Online Backup is an inexpensive and simple way to store a backup copy all your important computer files online for peace of mind when disaster strikes. You wouldnâ€™t think of driving a car or buying a home without insurance. Donâ€™t wait until the next computer disaster strikes to start thinking about your backup strategy!
Mozy Online Backup is simple to install and automatically backs up all your genealogy files, word documents, digital photos, financial documents, email and more. You donâ€™t have to be a computer expert – just check the boxes next to the files you want to backup, schedule the times and Mozy does the rest. If you did have any questions about getting started, Mozyâ€™s friendly support staff is available to assist you.
During the backup process, all files are encrypted on your computer with military grade, 448-bit Blowfish encryption. After the files are encrypted, theyâ€™re sent to Mozyâ€™s world-class datacenter via a secure 128-bit SSL connection, the same type of encryption technology used for online banking. All encrypted data is stored on servers located in a locked room monitored by a 24/7/365 security team.
Mozy Online Backup was recently awarded the â€œEditors Choice Awardâ€ from PC Magazine, was selected as the best backup software from PC World and has been recommended by Walter Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, David Pogue of the New York Times and Christopher Null of Yahoo! Tech to name a few.
When Disaster Strikes
In the event that something bad did happen to your computer itâ€™s simple to get your important files back so you can get back to your important research. You can either download your files free of charge from a web browser from any computer, or have Mozy copy your data to DVDâ€™s and ship them to you via FedEx for a nominal fee.
- Open/locked file support â€“ No need to close files in order to back them up as Mozy backs up all files that are in-use or locked including Family Tree Maker, Quicken, Word, Excel and Outlook .pst files.
- Automatic or scheduled backup â€“ Tell Mozy when to perform your backups. Automatic is the simplest method in which backups are performed while your computer is not in use. Scheduled backups can be performed daily or weekly at a specified time of day.
- Near Continuous Data Protection â€“ Mozy automatically detects and backs up new and changed files every 2 hours or so.
- Block level incremental backups â€“ When a file is modified, Mozy is smart enough to backup just the portions of the file that have changed since the last backup which saves bandwidth and ensures future backups are lightning fast.
- Bandwidth throttling – Throughout the day, you can tell Mozy to use more or less of your upload bandwidth so other higher priority services can run unimpeded.
- 30 day archive â€“ Mozy keeps a 30 days archive of all the files being backed up. If you want to grab a copy of the GEDCOM you were working on 7, 14 or 30 days ago, you have that option.
- Windows 2000 or newer
- Mac OS X
- Broadband internet connection (Cable, DSL, T1, Fiber etc.)
- 500 MHz processor (minimum)
- 256 MB RAM (min)
- 2GB Free hard drive space