Some of you will be traveling this summer in order to do some family history research. Of course, we should check the websites of the libraries, archives, cities, counties, and states we will be visiting. But also, well in advance of your trip, do some online reading of the newspaper for that area. There might be a festival or other event you wish to attend. Perhaps the event is so large there will not be any motel rooms available unless you make reservations well in advance.
Maybe you are going to a seminar, conference, or Elderhostel. Read the newspapers for that area, too. Most of these newspaper sites request that you register to read it online, but rarely is there a cost for current news. Some of these places still have more than one newspaper. The quickest way is to type the city name and the word â€œnewspaperâ€ into a search engine. Some examples from places you may be traveling this summer:
- Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- London Times (London, England)
- Washington Post (Washington, D.C.)
- FGS Conference (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
- Journal Gazette and News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana)Â
- New York Times (New York City, New York)Â
- Montreal Gazette (Montreal, Canada)
- Union County Advocate (Morganfield, Kentucky)
- Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts)
Click here for a printer friendly version of this article.