Posted by on February 4, 2014 in Australia, Content, Marriages, New Zealand, Tips and Hints

Arge's Wedding

Vital records—records of births, marriage, and death—are the basic building blocks of family history research as they contain lots of information for your family tree.

Marriage records can reveal religion and other details like age and place of birth, occupation, residences, and parents’ names.

We’ve put together our top search tips to help you make the most of our Marriage records.

• Narrow your search for marriage records by looking at the age and birthplace of the first child. This information can also be found in census records. Start your search a year prior to the child’s birth and gradually widen your search back (and forward) in time until you locate the record. Tracing your ancestor through directories can be helpful as well.
  • Seek out the marriage records for all family members. Information found on the records of siblings may include helpful details that aren’t found on your ancestor’s record.
  • When you find a record in a marriage index, always follow up and request the original record. Click on the database title and the source information and description on the collection page will tell you where the records are held.
  • Keep in mind that when civil registration first began, not everyone complied immediately. When you can’t locate a civil marriage record, look for census records and directories that can place your ancestor in a particular place around the time of the marriage. Then investigate churches in the area where the couple might have been married.
  • Once you find a matching record, save it to your family tree – that way you can provide evidence to back up the info in your family tree, easily share your discover with your family, and quickly find the historical record again later.

What’s your top tip on searching marriage records? Let us know on our Facebook page.

cook

can you help me find my lot family and kids in my family tree thank you john cook Moruya NSW.

February 10, 2014 at 10:28 am
Terri Carmichael

I am not interested in receiving these emails. Although I would love to trace my family history. I am not happy to commit to the amount you charge to do this.

February 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm
lesley

Is anyone out there a descendent of Eliza Emily and Oliver Edwin Dredge who came out from England in 1895 after their marriage. Their four girls are now deceased but am looking to get in contact with any of their families who may be able to help me with information on their great grandparents.

February 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Arlene Philpott

Iwould like you ti find my daughter her is silina watts she would be married now she was born 1970 t0 1980 at Auckland new Zealand

February 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Brenda

Does anyone have info on William bullock and ivy Gertrude.simpson

February 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm
John Davison

Searching for divorce records of Margaret May Mitchell and Thomas Mitchell, late 1930s to early 1940s. Have not been able to locate

February 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Beverley Souster

Would like to contact Ian Henderson by email to put our resources together for the Bate family tree

February 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Jean McINTOSH

Born 1926 Perth Western Australia

February 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm
leah

lewis

February 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Tanya jones

Hi I’m Tanya jones iv just started my tree would love help if any one is related to the jones/ Durhm/ taffe or ferrel from gunnedah/ Walcha areas plz email me at t.jones1989@hotmail.com

February 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm
Keegan

I can’t believe the comment from the person above who is complaining about the cost of Ancestory.Many people including myself get great enjoyment from researching their family tree.A small price to pay for for valuable information. Don’t be so stingy. Ancestory provide a fantastic service and I have now found 2 cousins now living in England which I am in contact regulary. One of them recently came to Australia to meet us and without Ancestory we didn’t even know they existed.

February 10, 2014 at 8:30 pm
raymond F McCoy

Re costs: Itotally agree with Keegan above, I wast a lot of my paid time because of other duties but after some finds you can bet I intend to get my moneis worth this year

February 10, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Amanda

I agree that this website is very valuable and I am grateful to be able to use it as well.. But Keegan & Raymond speaking for me a mortgage , school fees and car payments due come first . That may be a factor in this for cost. When I retire have time and the money to spend on myself , I to will agree with the cost.

February 11, 2014 at 12:41 am
Jayasundara

nothing

February 11, 2014 at 8:50 am
Brigid

Can anyone help me with information about my cousin Mary Magaret Buchanan also known as Molly Crotty, she was born in Melbourne Victoria Australia in April 1945

February 11, 2014 at 10:47 am
sandi

Thank you Ancestry without this wonderful site I would never have found my relatives in England and Canada with whom I now correspond. Any ancestors of Matthew Brodrick and Annabella Bone love to hear from you. My gggrandfather is Stephen Brodrick. Thank you all Ancestry Members for your wonderful information. It is MOST appreciated. Sx

February 11, 2014 at 11:57 am
sandi

Sorry didn’t include my email
sandi_w@hotmail.com. Regarding Brodrick Ancestors

February 11, 2014 at 11:59 am
Kathy Palinkas

I’m looking for information about my great grandfather Antione Joseph Emanuelli, born 1851 Propriano (Corsica)

February 11, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Karen

Although I don’t have a lot of spare time, Ancestry helps me relax looking for family connections and finding family I didn’t know I had, this to me is a small outlay to make to find family.

February 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Heatherlee

Can anyone help me with info on Charles Henry (Harry) Austin born 1861 or 1866 in Geraldton. Australia? He married in South Africa 24/12/1903 and he died in Durban.

February 13, 2014 at 8:53 am
Diane

As much as I would want to I am just a pensioner and cant find the extra cash. That being said, I am English, and although I have tried to use the free trial I have not been able find any information that I currently have, and my information is very scarce, even though I have a name I cant find that persons lineage at all. I don’t think this site can help foreign born Australians

February 16, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Carmel

In reply to Diane, try you local Library , You can use Ancestry on their Computers. I wish you luck

February 18, 2014 at 10:41 am
Laraine Jones

Hi. would like to see moreof the free access to search , not just the 14 day free trial access for those of us who are unable to committ to a 12mth fee charge..

February 18, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Laraine Jones

Would ike to see more free access days and not just the 14 day free trial offer for those of us who cannot committ to a 12 mth subsctiption

February 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Paula Penfold

I am trying to find my grandfather Alfred William Johnson (Johnsen) born 23 November 1894 on Robinson’s Farm Gooburrum, Bundaberg Qld Australia to Svend Frederick William Johnson and Sarah Ann Late Robinson formerly Kingston. If any one has any information I would be grateful.

February 19, 2014 at 5:54 pm
Penelope Shadbolt

When I first started with a few names and dates found it slow going, but I have now found an enormous amount of information about my family and I have met up with family members who have contacted me through ancestry.com. My biggest problem at this time is finding information about my Irish family members. I have found Irish websites – but they seem to charge for every bit of information.

February 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm