Idaho was admitted to the Union on July 3, 1890 as the 43rd state.
Five things you might not have known about Idaho:
- State law forbids a citizen to give another citizen a box of candy weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Hell’s Canyon is the deepest gorge in America at around 1,500 feet.
- Idaho has multiple ghost towns including Silver City, Yankee Fork, Gold Dredge, and the Sierra Silver Mine.
- The shortest route from the midwest to the Pacific Coast is the Lewis & Clark Highway which runs through Idaho. It is also the longest highway in a national forest.
- Sixty-three percent of Idaho is public land managed by the federal government.