Welcome to the Islands—Connecting to a Culture with AncestryDNA

Posted by Anna Swayne on June 25, 2014 in AncestryDNA

Lexi HawaiiDeep inside each of us is the story of our past. Lexi from California found out how her past and present connect through the AncestryDNA test. Lexi fell in love with the Hawaiian Islands years ago and visits annually.

“When I go to Hawaii, it feels like home.” She didn’t understand how deep that connection really was until recently—after she got her AncestryDNA results back and she saw that she had Polynesian in her ethnicity estimate. Lexi explains, “My dad was Chinese but he must have been more mixed than I thought, since Polynesian showed up in me and not my mom.”

Each time she visits Hawaii she is frequently asked if she is a local and this past trip, she was proud to say, “Yes, I am Polynesian.”  A connection only DNA could reveal.

“Now, knowing what I know, little things have caught my eye about the history of this culture and a region I now connect with in more than one way. Thank you, AncestryDNA—it’s so fascinating.”

We love hearing the stories of how AncestryDNA has helped you discover something you wouldn’t have known without it. Share your story with us here.

Want to learn about how DNA can help you discover more about your story? Visit the AncestryDNA homepage.

About Anna Swayne
Anna Swayne has 8 years of experience in the DNA genealogy world. At Ancestry, she leads efforts in developing education to help our community maximize their experience with AncestryDNA. She believes there is real power behind DNA and the story it can unlock for each of us.When she is not talking DNA you can find her hiking or cycling in the mountains or cooking at home.

Comments
1 Megan PetersonJune 25, 2014 at 10:49 am

Anna, please flip the photo 180 degrees.

2 Wanda SochackiJune 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I wish that Ancestry could expand their DNA tests to Australia. I, like many others have traced my roots back to Europe, Uk & Ireland and would like to confirm my genetic links.

3 AdrianaJune 25, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Wanda – FTDNA and 23andme both ship to Australia. I believe FTDNA’s cost for international shipping is considerably cheaper, though, and so I’d probably opt for that company.

4 tamatha lynn williamsonJune 26, 2014 at 10:43 am

My name is tamatha lynn williamson i am john marvin williamson birth daughter i have been looking for my dad for a long time and all my brothers and sisters all i reamber is he was liveing in salina ca i was borm march 8. 1968 in santa rosa ca if you have any information or you are my familey please call me at 530 925 9677 or please email at tamathalynnwilliamson122@gmail.com

5 wildstar goldJuly 12, 2014 at 11:47 am

Today looks great .

6 Normalee GroshartJuly 28, 2014 at 11:54 am

Is ancestryDNA and autosomal DNA the same? My autosomalDNA results from Family Tree were drastically different from my ethnicDNA from ancestryDNA.

Thanks.

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.