Posted by on June 8, 2014 in Ask Ancestry Anne
Library of Congress, “Daniel Boone,” print from engraving, Prints & Photographs Online Catalog, ( http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2004671936/ : accessed 3 Jun 2014), Reproduction no. LC-USZ62-16240

Library of Congress, “Daniel Boone,” print from engraving,

Question:  I am trying to find link to Daniel Boone. Apparently I am related. I would be a great++++++granddaughter. I have heard a lot of oral history from my paternal grandmother. Can you help?

Barbara

Answer:  There may be some truth to your grandmother’s stories.  The short answer is start with your own family and work back.  Or in your case, start with your paternal grandmother. Who were her parents? Document each one and then move to the previous generations.

Be skeptical of all family legends no matter how attractive they are.  Skepticism will lead to better research on your part.

Daniel Boone was born in 1734 and died in 1820 at the age of 85. I believe he had 11 children, all born in the mid 1700s.  So you will need to work back a few generations to either prove or disprove a connection.

Remember to focus first on finding your own family and working backwards.  If you start with Daniel’s family and work forwards hoping to find a connection, you will spend a lot of time on false leads and people not in your family.

I recommend checking out two of our research guides to get started: 5 Steps to a Healthy Family Tree and Kentucky State Research Guide: The Bluegrass State

Happy Searching!
Anne

About Anne Gillespie Mitchell

Dolly Gorrod Webb

I am beyond upset with your decision to cancel MyCanvas and feel you are making a terrible mistake. I have written 3 family books and currently in process of compiling a 4th.
MyCanvas is by far the most superior product on the market for publishing family books; if you’re not going to keep it then sell it!
Please rethink your decision.

June 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Edy Garrison

I completely agree wIth Dolly Webb and was saddened and frustrated wIth your decision to cancel My Canvas. Please, , please reconsider.

June 9, 2014 at 1:17 am
Kris Marbaugh

Did Barbara find out any information about her relationship to Daniel Boone? I, too, am related to him. Maybe she and I are related? Ask her to contact me as my cousin has a family tree.

June 9, 2014 at 3:42 am
Denise Gates

I am also researching the Daniel Boone family connection. However, I have hit a snag in my great-great grandparents as the history lies in St. Louis, MO. I have read that around that time, the boundries were changed and many records were misplaced. Appreciate any help or suggestions!

June 9, 2014 at 4:22 am
Robin Thompson

How can you find info going back when you can’t find out names or birth records?

June 9, 2014 at 4:31 am
Elizabeth Dees

I was thinking about joining ancestry.com. I have been told that I am related to Daniel Boone. My maternal grandfather was Harold Benjamin Boone. He was born in August 1922. My mother is Elizabeth Boone Snider. Very interesting…

June 9, 2014 at 5:21 am
George Watson

I am a long time member but very disappointed with Ancestry for retiring(dumping) the original DNA program. Though I never achieved making a single connection thru this program, I did continue to work it with high hopes.

As an original member of this DNA program I understand the business decision part but fell as though I paid for something that was taken away from me.

I also feel full credit or refund is due to me and others who were dropped.

Thnx,
g

June 9, 2014 at 6:20 am
Anne Hall

My Daniel Boone connection was thru his older brother, Samuel. If anyone else connects from this branch, get in contact with me to share information.

June 9, 2014 at 6:50 am
Donna Wise

I am truly upset about the hike in price per year. if not for us customers there would be nothing here to look at. I had to drop out this year because of the price hike. I know a few others that cant join again because of the hike…happy hunting everyone

June 9, 2014 at 7:05 am
Becky Seay

I too am related to Daniel Boone. I am thru his younger brother George. I have “The Boone Family” book compiled by Hazel Atterbury Spraker, published 1922 and reprinted 1974 and 1977. It is a 700 page book listing many, many decendents. I am not listed in the book but it does have my mother (born 1917). If I can give you any info from the book, feel free to ask. But, always verify the info.

June 9, 2014 at 7:20 am
TC

RE: Boone history, sadly, it is very much like the “indian princess” stories many have.

My own maternal line may lie that way, only because of my HOGANs line that intersects with BOONE, and I am one that adds every aunt/uncle child into their tree, hoping for more clues. This is how I have broken through a few walls, and since it works, I continue to do it

RE: DNA – to those upset, this isn’t the place for your discussion on Ancestrys decision to drop products. I am happy to see the raw data released for the DNA and customers should get that information and than seek out others who have done their DNA and work toward common ground. I trust Ancestry DNA program far more than the other one, and since they are continuing with the autosomal, I will continue searching that way, and that via Ancestry has broken through some walls, as well as proven out MY research, since I have found many other lines with that of my and my siblings DNA. Thank you Ancestry!

June 9, 2014 at 7:21 am
Sheila Bundy

The link to Kentucky State Research Guide: The Bluegrass State doesn’t work and most of my currently dead ends end in Kentucky! So far my only connection to Daniel Boone has been ancestors who settled with him. I did verify a family legend connecting us to Davy Crockett!

June 9, 2014 at 7:28 am
Steve Havnaer

I am related to Daniel Boone by way of Joseph Boone, Daniel Boone’s uncle. The family line goes from Boone to Coulter to Warlick to Havnaer.
My father’s relatives (Warlicks) were from Lincoln Co., NC.
Daniel Boone’s parents, Squire Boone and Sarah Morgan are buried in Mocksville, NC, about 10 miles from my residence in Salisbury, NC

June 9, 2014 at 7:37 am
Ray Boone

Go to this web site boonesocietyofamerica.com

June 9, 2014 at 7:40 am
Nancy Davis

For people researching the Boone line.. There is a “Daniel Boone Homestead in Berks County, PA…perhaps you should begin your search in PA. I have a shirt tail relative that married into the family…

June 9, 2014 at 8:25 am
Barbara Homan Kraft

This article has some true things in it. Be skeptical.
I was told all my life by my grandmother that I was also descended from Boone because my grandfather’s cousin was invited to the opening of the Daniel Boone Home and Heritage center. I am from 7 generations in St. Louis, but moved away after my husband got transferred. We belonged to Ancestry for years but stopped. I have been to the site and also found no connection. I recommend you go to the Missouri State Historical Society. Or try the St. Louis Public Library. I was misled. My grandpa’s cousin was married to a Cash. I once thought Johnny Cash,the singer, was related. He was a Boone descendent. Love to help you all. Good luck. Barbara Homan Kraft

June 9, 2014 at 9:05 am
Lee Bibb

My story is similar to some of the other commenters: My paternal grandmother told me we were related to the Boones, but not how. When I got a copy of “The Bibb Family in America” (1941) there was nothing about the Boones and I let it drop. My paternal gt grandma is Eliza Ellen Tate, like my Bibb line, from Montgomery Co, MO. One day I received an online query regarding the Tate line. In discussion, it turned out that this Tate line was descended from George Boone, older brother of Daniel. Then about a year ago talking with a friend of 20 years he noted that HIS grandmother had told him he was descended of Daniel Boone, also through MO. So I did a search on ancestry.com for him and found he was indeed descended from Daniel. Our common ancestor is Squire Boone, the father of Daniel and George, and we are 7th cousins. Searching in KY, NC or PA might take a long time to make a tie. See if your family was in north central MO 100-150 years ago and perhaps you can shortcut the search.

June 9, 2014 at 9:16 am
Lloyd Ray Felter Sr.

I also was told that i was link to Mr. Daniel Boone ,His Mother Sarah Morgan —My ggg grandmother was Chairty Morgan fro NC.
she was Married to Issac Miller–had a son Named William Morgan
Miller
Lloyd Ray Felter Sr.
Pineville, La 71360

June 9, 2014 at 9:18 am
Mary Klock

My 4th Great Grandfather was John Boone 1727-1803 Married to Ann Farmer Boone and lived in Kentucky.
Their youngest son was John Boone Jr. (my 3rd Great Grandfather) who left NC to go to Lincoln County, TN about 1815.
John Bryan Boone Jr. was married to Mary Polly Wells in NC in 1803 before they left for TN. My 2nd Great Grandfather was Andrew Jackson Boone 1815-1865 who married Sarah Miller 1781-1858. They lived in Livingston County, MO. My 1st Great Grandfather born and died in Lincoln County, MO was Andrew C. Boone. My Grandmother was Della Maude Boone Hargrave.
I believe John’s father was Benjamin Franklin Boone and Daniel Boone was the cousin of John Boone. Does anyone know if this is true?

June 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Janice T

Another good source, besides public ancestry.com trees and the Boone Society, are the publicly available DAR records with proven descendants of Daniel Boone as well as descendants of Squire Boone his father, which includes most of his siblings.

June 9, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Nancy Prosser Woodsum

I too am related to Daniel Boone. The only reason I found him is because someone posted a story about Jacob Boone who is in my family tree and said he is Daniel’s second cousin who named his son Daniel after him. They said Jacob followed Daniel to Kentucky.

June 9, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Nicole McKinney

Great article!- Please fix the link to “Kentucky State Research Guide”. Even those of us not related to Boone would be very happy to have this resource.

June 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Marguerite Lindsey

I found I was related to Daniel Boone’s sister, Sarah Boone Wilcoxin, through my great grandmother, Elizabeth F. Crouse Haynes.

June 9, 2014 at 6:58 pm
What You Might Have Missed: June 9th Edition

[...] Ask Ancestry Anne: Am I Related to Daniel Boone? by Anne Gillespie Mitchell [...]

June 9, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Wendy

I wish the best of luck to this researcher! May she be related to Daniel Boone!

My grandmother likes to tell stories, too, and she says her grandmother did as well. I was told that my family has been living in New England for hundreds of years, and that I have a relative named
Nathaniel Lufkin who was in the Revolutionary War. I did the research, and found that all the stories were true. I’m descended from the Downings, close relatives of John Winthrop, who led hundreds of Puritans to America. There really was a Nathaniel Lufkin, born 1755 in Ipswich, Massachusetts, making him about the right age to be a Revolutionary soldier. I also found relatives involved in the Salem Witch Trials, which I find fascinating.

June 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Phyllis P

I was never told that my family was related to the Boones, but found out when once researching my paternal grandmother’s line that we are connected to them through Daniel’s brother, Joseph.

In addition, my husband was connected to them through Daniel’s sister, Sarah.

Many individuals from western NC are descended from the Boones.

Something I have realized from doing genealogy for the past 12 years is that if you’re from the same area as your spouse, then it’s not uncommon to share direct ancestors if you go back a few generations.

June 11, 2014 at 7:45 pm
Kristie Wells

@Sheila: Thanks for advising us about the broken link – it has now been corrected.

June 12, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Evelyn Kusiolek

I am having a problem with my links for my grandfather Benjamin Alva Curtice. Also my -grandfather Applings brothers and sisters. I have called twice and it only got worse. Thanks E.M.K.

June 14, 2014 at 1:38 am
Vivian Schultz

Mine is similar. Family stories linking us to Daniel.. But I found ours through my maternal line, the Altum’s, that no one knew much about.. lo and behold, there he was, marrying my 7x removed first cousin..

I have found that in all the stories there is an element of truth, you just have to dig.. verify everything.. but it is worth the trip..

now if I can just find my husband’s grandfather from Germany??

July 12, 2014 at 8:53 pm
carol. storey

In reading Mary Klock comments I found it very interesting that her great great grandfather Andrew Jackson Boone born in 1815 married Sarah Miller born in 1781. She was 34 years older. Wow what a love story that must have been. Would love to see it as a movie. God luck in your search.

July 15, 2014 at 11:29 am
natalie

People have been asking for the Kentucky link to be fixed. As of today, Aug 22 it is still not fixed.

August 22, 2014 at 9:18 pm
natalie

I should have said: Since June 6th people have been asking for the Kentucky link to be fixed, and on Aug 22 it is still not fixed.

August 22, 2014 at 9:20 pm