Got My DNA Results. Didn’t Know I Had…

Posted by Anna Swayne on June 4, 2014 in AncestryDNA

Every now and then we will find AncestryDNA users posting their experience of discovering their DNA results. We love seeing the stories on Facebook, videos and blogs going up online and sharing the AncestryDNA experience.  We saw one such video online from Matt S. and thought it would be a good idea to respond to him with a video from us. Watch below his live reaction to him looking at his result for the first time, and then watch my video response to his questions.

It’s fun to learn about each other and how the AncestryDNA test can impact our lives as we continue to discover more about our own story.

Now it’s your turn. Share your story with us here. Haven’t taken a DNA test? Learn more about AncestryDNA.

About Anna Swayne
Anna Swayne has 8 years of experience in the DNA genealogy world. At Ancestry, she leads efforts in developing education to help our community maximize their experience with AncestryDNA. She believes there is real power behind DNA and the story it can unlock for each of us.When she is not talking DNA you can find her hiking or cycling in the mountains or cooking at home.

Comments
1 Brenda WheelerJune 4, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I’m confused about my DNA results. Was this from my father as well as my mother. I definitely know that my mothers father was of French descent and France did not show up in my results.
Brenda Wherker

2 Cecelia.BurrJune 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I took the DNA test, and there were some surprises for me as well. My question: My brother lives in Korea, but is not a member of Ancestry. The same with my children. Their father passed away in 1994, and it goes without saying they are interested in the DNA test as well as my brother. I cancelled my membership, but need to get back to adding and looking up new information, I miss Ancestry!! Will my brother and my children have to join Ancestry in order to take the DNA test? Your assistance is very much appreciated!!

Cecelia

3 Cecelia.BurrJune 4, 2014 at 5:40 pm

2nd question….I also have the same question as Brenda Wheeler. Does the DNA cover both my father and mother?

4 Kristie WellsJune 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm

@Cecelia: Your brother and your children do not need to sign up for a subscription to Ancestry. When they purchase* the AncestryDNA test, they will have access to not only to their DNA results but also to the wealth of free resources and tools available on Ancestry.com. If they wish to access Ancestry.com’s vast database of documents and records, then they would need to purchase a subscription. They could always take the test and then you could link their results to the tree that you are currently building.

* Please note the AncestryDNA test is only sold in the USA at the moment, so we cannot ship to Korea. However, you could always order a test and give it to your brother when he visits.

5 Kristie WellsJune 4, 2014 at 6:05 pm

@Brenda and @Cecelia: The AncestryDNA test covers both your maternal and your paternal lines, but please keep in mind that you inherit 50% of your father’s DNA and 50% of your mother’s so there may be ethnicities that do not show up in your test. This post explains the patterns of DNA inheritance: http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2014/03/05/understanding-patterns-of-inheirtance-where-did-my-dna-come-from-and-why-it-matters/

6 Brian PalmerJune 5, 2014 at 5:46 am

I have British Isles, Western European ethnicity but the big surprises were Caucausus (1%), Iberian (2%). Could these be from Roman soldiers who came to the British Isles and left their genes? Or do you have other theories?

I also have Finnish/Northern Russia (1%), which is also common in the British Isles. Any theories on that? Just came along with the Vikings?

7 Lori MellonJune 5, 2014 at 8:12 am

I am curious about those very small percentages that show up in people’s DNA, 1%-2% for example. That says to me that these genes are very old, correct? So can it be generalized as to how many generations back these genes may have come from? And thus they might pre-date any historical or documentary evidence allowing us to trace back that far??

8 MichelleJune 5, 2014 at 4:40 pm

At this time the only details known about my 95 year old grandfather’s family history are that his parental grandparents immigrated from Lithuania and his maternal grandparents immigrated from Poland. I recently tested him. What is exciting is the results are showing matches that would be linked through his currently unknown grandparents who lived in Eastern Europe.

To learn more visit my research blog: http://murosky-ancestral-lines.blogspot.com/2014/06/bridge-to-past-dna-testing-our-oldest.html

9 JamesJune 9, 2014 at 6:40 am

Hi. I received my results back. It appears that I have several sub-Saharan African regions in my results. In particular, Ghana/ Ivory Coast. I was wondering if this is a strong correlation to the Akan people. Also will Ancestry one day provide a reference panel where examples were collected or a specific African tribal breakdown for the customers or the people used in the reference pattern?

10 TandiJune 9, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I also just recieved my dna results….being adopted,how doma I figure out if the cousin matches are from my father’s side or my mother’s side of the family?

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.