Posted by on May 27, 2014 in Celebrity

In celebration of the release of the movie “Maleficent,” (a “Sleeping Beauty” origin story about the malevolent fairy) we discovered that Elle Fanning has more in common with the character she portrays, Princess Aurora, than she may have thought.

Fanning is actually the 22nd great-granddaughter of King Edward III, making her a long-lost princess. Her connection to King Edward III, who ruled from 1327-1377, makes Fanning of royal blood, a princess both on and off the big screen.

If Fanning’s newly uncovered title of princess wasn’t enough, it turns out she has a second tie to the royal family. The actress is also a relative of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. They share a connection to King Edward III, the grandson of King Edward I also known as “Edward Longshanks.”

Fanning-Middleton

Photo credit: WIREIMAGE/ GETTY IMAGES

While looking into Fanning’s family tree, researchers uncovered another magical connection. According to historical records, Fanning’s 2nd great-grandmother Mamie (Ozburn) Odum was known as the “Sunshine Lady” – a woman known for spreading good cheer. She was a collector of unique antiques, including glass slippers, a beloved item from another classic fairy tale, “Cinderella.”

With such a strong royal lineage, and a great-grandmother who may have been her generation’s fairy godmother, the starlet was a natural fit to play the part of Princess Aurora.

Quote:

Michelle Ercanbrack, family historian for Ancestry.com: “It’s exciting when art imitates reality, and Elle’s storied family history adds another layer of magic to her portrayal of Aurora. Whether its royals or villains, there’s a story in every family tree, and you’ll never know what you might discover unless you look.”

Michael Scheu

That’s great. I’m also descended from Edward III, so that must make me a prince of royal blood! Who’d have thunk it?

May 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm
Enough Already

“In celebration of the release of the movie “Maleficent, . . .”

I am not sure why Ancestry would “celebrate” this event other than as a result of a paid or in-kind product placement.

May 28, 2014 at 8:34 am
Adriana

If you have any European ancestors, especially from certain countries, then I’d say there’s a very good chance you’re descended from royalty even if you can’t prove it. So this isn’t quite the bombshell the author intended it to be. I’d be more surprised if she weren’t.

May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
Keith McDonald

ok, I understand you want to drum up business, but calling her a princess is so far from correct that you should be ashamed of yourself.

while it may not be the authoritative source, a simple wiki search talks about the title of prince and princess, which must be given by the sovereign, is normally the children, grandchildren of the british sovereign. add to that the person she is descended from is several houses away from the current ruling House of Windsor.

May 28, 2014 at 4:57 pm
What You Might Have Missed: June 2nd Edition

[...] Maleficent Star Elle Fanning a Long Lost Princess [...]

June 2, 2014 at 11:05 am
Shelly Seales

I think it was interesting and fun. I wish everyone didn’t have to be so cranky. What’s up with the negative attitudes. This is an enjoyable activity and I agree a somewhat serious one. Unfortunately too many sour passes.

June 2, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Shelly Seales

I think it was interesting and fun. I wish everyone didn’t have to be so cranky. What’s up with the negative attitudes. This is an enjoyable activity and I agree a somewhat serious one. Unfortunately too many sour pusses. If you can’t say anything nice – don’t say anything at all. Please.

June 2, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Gina

Of course this makes for an interesting story, but she’s no princes yet. A lot of people take genealogy serious, including myself. It’s nice to daydream though.

August 28, 2014 at 9:18 pm