Posted by on May 20, 2014 in Find A Grave

QueueShotAs we continue to improve the mobile app for iOS, your feedback is crucial—we are constantly checking the comments and requests that come in through mobilefeedback@findagrave.com. In fact, this latest release is in response to a problem we’ve heard a lot of you report, and we think we’ve solved it in a way that will help make things easier.

Queue Up Your Photos

Just in time for Memorial Day, the photo upload queue will now allow you to take pictures one after the other, without stopping to wait for each photo to upload before continuing on. This is great when your upload connection is slow, like when I’m on 2 bars of 3G network out at my local cemetery. So feel free to get out there on Memorial Day and snap away without delay.

Upload Over Wi-Fi Only

On the flip side, you can now opt to have photos automatically delete from your phone after successfully uploading to Find A Grave. This is a great way to conserve space on your phone so you can keep taking as many shots as you like. This update also now enables you to upload over Wi-Fi only, which can really help you save on your phone’s data package. You can find this setting in your iOS settings for the Find A Grave app.

This update should be available at the app store now. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone, and don’t forget to join the conversation on the Find A Grave Facebook page.

About Michael Lawless

Michael is a Senior Product Manager for Ancestry.com

jeri hahn

when will android phones get the app

May 20, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Michael Lawless

Sorry, still no release date for Android.

May 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm
Tray Morgan

there is an find a grave app for andriod. its called find grave (beta) by kworth studios

May 20, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Gerry Humes

Want you know there are a lot of Android phones out here. Keep working on it please.

May 20, 2014 at 11:30 pm
Adriana

All the cool kids use Android. But seriously, great idea for an app; just wish that I could use it with my Samsung Galaxy.

May 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Julie

I must be missing something here. I don’t want GPS data to be added when I add a photo vie the app. How can I disable this? I edit my photos before uploading them, and I inadvertantly put my home GPS coordinates on several memorials because I waiting to upload them when I was home. This was a major PRIVACY PROBLEM, compounded by the fact that I couldn’t remove the coordinates on the memorials I don’t manage, so I had to send edits to many, many people, asking them to please remove the GPS coordinates.

How do I avoid this?

May 23, 2014 at 8:32 pm
Michael Lawless

Hi Julie,

This was a problem with the 1.0 version of the app. Please update to the latest version, where the GPS coordinates should ONLY be attached at the time a photo is taken, not edited, not uploaded.

The other option you have, is that you can turn off location services for the app in your iOS settings.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. If you have any other memorials with this problem, please send them to support@findagrave.com to be taken care of.

Mike

May 23, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Pam Hemmer

You are a great man for overseeing such a huge complicated project. I have tons of grave marker family pictures. It’s a shame they can’t be used since they were’t taken with a camera with a GPS. I do have a few though and will send those.
Thanks again for all your hard work
Pam

May 24, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Susan

I need the Android app!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2014 at 10:46 am
Don Knupp

I would probably use the Android app whenever it finally comes out except for one small problem – I CAN’T COMPLETE THE SIGN UP PROCESS FOR FIND-A-GRAVE.

Part of the process of signing up requires that Find-A-Grave email you a confirmation code which you must enter to complete the process. I have done this before with other websites and not had a problem.

With Find-A-Grave I NEVER RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH A CONFIRMATION CODE.

I’ve looked in my Inbox.

I’ve looked in my Spam box.

I’ve looked in my Trash box.

I’ve never seen an email from Find-A-Grave.

I’ve tried to sign up three times in the past four years including once since Ancestry.com bought up Find-A-Grave with the same result. I talked to an Ancestry representative at a local convention several months ago and their only advice was to try again.

I can’t contact Find-A-Grave directly about this problem because there is no contact information provided to non-registered users. I can’t complete the registration because I never receive an email with a confirmation code. I can’t contact Find-A-Grave directly about this problem because there is no contact information provided to non-registered users. I can’t complete the registration because I never receive an email with a confirmation code . . .

IT’S A NEVER-ENDING VICIOUS CIRCLE.

For now I use Find-A-Grave as a reference and send my gravemarker photos to another site which, as a courtesy to Ancestry, I will not name here.

May 26, 2014 at 4:38 pm
David

I don’t have a smart phone (probably never will), but am considering an iPad (Wi-fi only, no phone). Does this app work with iPad or iPad mini? I want to take photos when upload when I am near WiFi.

- Also – don’t want to Find-A-Grave app to automatically delete my pics – can I control that feature?

August 9, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Scott R.

I remain concerned about findagrave.com
I am a new member. I have submitted some information. When I get replsy from “no-reply@findagrave.com” my outlook browser pops up with a warning message that says “be careful! sender has failed our fraud detection checks” I asked “”findagrave’ about this message but got no response. Who really runs ” findagrave”? Ancestry or the old” findagrave” people? I would really like an answer to my concerns about the warning message. I was about to join Ancestry again but am concerned about security with findagrave and concerns that others have posted as well. Thank you. Scott.

August 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm