Introducing ‘Between the Leaves: An Ancestry.com Hangout’

Posted by Pam Velazquez on May 16, 2014 in Between the Leaves

We asked several of our genealogists to share how they got started in family history. Here is what Amy Johnson Crow, Anne Gillespie Mitchell, Crista Cowan, and Juliana Szucs Smith had to say.

Comments
1 Judy PhillipsMay 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks so much for this. Very interesting to see how everyone got interested in genealogy. I find I have a lot in common with each of you for different reasons. Guess that’s the glue that holds us family historians together :)

2 Aileen KaylorMay 16, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I loved it! Glad to see that I’m not the only one making those mistakes! Although I probably make more than all of them together!

3 Anne Gillespie MitchellMay 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Judy, glad you enjoyed it! And I agree, I’ve never met a family historian that I didn’t have something in common with. :-)

4 Tamalyn PetersonMay 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

I really enjoyed this presentation. I have seen all your names here and there on the site and wondered about how many people work for Ancestry.com? It looks like it could be quite a few!! It was really nice putting a face with name. I guess we all like to do that! I have just started using the site last August, so I am very much a novice, mostly happy. sometimes frustrated as you were all saying. Thank you for all you do to make it a little easier to wade through and find what you are looking for. Again the presentation was great, hope you do it again.
And I am gong to keep on WADING through and enjoy!!!

5 Jen WhiteMay 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Excellent! I hope you are going to have a program like this regularly! How can I subscribe? I get your YouTube programs.

6 Bridget SwahlenMay 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

This was fun. It’s nice to know that with all of my challenges, i.e. brick walls, incomplete sources, and a little bit (well more like a lot) of dis-organization, I have some wonderful company :) Thank you, your advice and insight is greatly appreciated, and I’m learning a lot from all that you post.

7 sammi brownMay 17, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for this presentation. I really enjoy hear you all talking like you are at a coffee klatsch and just “shootin’ the breeze. You did raise several questions for me, is there a place to get an answer that is not an “opinion” like I find on the forums??

8 N KyleMay 18, 2014 at 7:32 am

If you list my name incorrectly and my birth date incorrectly–should I assume you have no other mistakes in information you furnish?

[...] have just finished reading and watching the video posted on Ancestry’s blog called “Between The Leaves.” It was a great discussion between Ancestry’s professional genealogists on how they [...]

10 Tien LeMay 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

That was fun. I enjoyed it. Great advice about keeping track of where we find our documents, etc. I’m going to work on internalizing that so that in the future the practice becomes automatic. I took Crista’s advice from an earlier video about using the ‘comments’ on my tree on Ancestry to document not only where I got the information, but the process I used to find it. Now I’m going to go back to the Wills and such I have and try to notate their origins.
Totally going to steal Truth without Proof isn’t Truth.
Glad to see others have noticed that the polarization and hardship and global issues are not new. Reading through old newspapers is a gift.
Great questions to the panel, Anne. Looking forward to your next hangout.

11 DeborahMay 19, 2014 at 8:28 am

Just finished watching ” Between the Leaves ” and I really , really enjoyed it. I found it full of info for me , now I have hope of finding 2 brick walls. I am going to steal the ” Truth without Proof isn’t Truth ” also ! Matter of fact I am going to tape it to the top of computer screen so I can remind myself every day. Hope you do these often , I enjoy all the videos of the other things also.

Thanks Ladies !

12 GenneanMay 21, 2014 at 1:00 am

I just watch Between the leaves and I really enjoyed it lots of information on how everyone got started and also it was great with all the different solutions you could come up with to find you answers. it was funny and informative great idea love it Thanks

13 MaureenMay 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Bravo ladies!!! Well done. Hopefully, this is the first of many “hangouts”!

14 Crista Cowan Quote | thegenealogygirlJune 1, 2014 at 4:16 am

[...] started a new thing.  A very cool new thing they call ‘Between the Leaves‘.  I watched the first video recently and was struck by this statement made by Crista [...]

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Friday, 30 May 2014

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.