Ancestry Anne Visits The Peacock Gals

Posted by Anne Gillespie Mitchell on March 12, 2014 in Ask Ancestry Anne, Research

darI had the pleasure of traveling to Dallas, Texas this past week and presenting to about 400 members of the Texas Daughters of the American Revolution  who identify themselves with the peacock, hence the name The Peacock Gals!

And because it was the Daughters of the American Revolution, we talked genealogy.

On Thursday, I walked them through an example of using census records to set up the framework for creating a timeline of an ancestor’s life.

Finding and using census records to create a framework from Ancestry.com

And on Friday, I shared a few search tips and tricks with them.

Putting your ancestors in historical perspective using ancestry to tell your family story – slide share from Ancestry.com

Hope one or both of these presentations help you with your research!

About Anne Gillespie Mitchell

Comments
1 ocia brinkman jeffriesMarch 12, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Anne,
I was one of those “peacocks” and you did an amazing job. So glad you were a part of the 115th Texas DAR conference.

2 Georgi BrochsteinMarch 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I was there as well and it was truly an eye opener. There is so much more than just dates and places once you learn to look at things from a different perspective. Thank you Anne

3 Wilma RichMarch 12, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This is exactly what I need to see the whole picture. Thanks a million.

4 Sharon WolffMarch 12, 2014 at 11:18 pm

We “Peacock gals” loved having you at our conference and you were an amazing addition. Thanks for both presentations.

5 Michelle FarrowMarch 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I was one of the “Peacock Gals” and thoroughly enjoyed my tice in birth your workshop and again during the business meeting part of your presentation. I will definitely use the information to organize my facts!

6 Judy GrundyMarch 14, 2014 at 8:54 am

I am also a “Peacock Gal”. I really enjoyed your presentation on building a timeline. I am going to try it to bring more “life” to my ancestors. Hoping this will spark an interest in my grandkids and show them “dead” relatives can tell a story.

7 Mary ShearerMarch 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Loved your Friday presentation at the TXDAR state conference. Your comments and fresh perspective gave us all the boost we needed. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a speaker so much.

8 Ocia Brinkman JeffriesMarch 15, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Anne,
I am a “Daughter” who attended your workshop in Dallas. I am researching the Gold Star Mother Pilgrimage for a future presentation to the Texas State Historical Association. Any suggestions on finding any information on the GSM (especially those from Texas) would be greatly appreciated. I have used the Ancestry.com list of passengers and found many of the GSM who travelled to Europe to visit the graves of their sons or husbands who were killed in WWI and buried overseas, but it just gives me their name and address, nothing about the actual soldier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ocia Brinkman Jeffries