Posted by on March 12, 2014 in Ask Ancestry Anne, Research

darI had the pleasure of traveling to Dallas, Texas this past week and presenting to about 400 members of the Texas Daughters of the American Revolution  who identify themselves with the peacock, hence the name The Peacock Gals!

And because it was the Daughters of the American Revolution, we talked genealogy.

On Thursday, I walked them through an example of using census records to set up the framework for creating a timeline of an ancestor’s life.

And on Friday, I shared a few search tips and tricks with them.

Hope one or both of these presentations help you with your research!

About Anne Gillespie Mitchell

ocia brinkman jeffries

Anne,
I was one of those “peacocks” and you did an amazing job. So glad you were a part of the 115th Texas DAR conference.

March 12, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Georgi Brochstein

I was there as well and it was truly an eye opener. There is so much more than just dates and places once you learn to look at things from a different perspective. Thank you Anne

March 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Wilma Rich

This is exactly what I need to see the whole picture. Thanks a million.

March 12, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Sharon Wolff

We “Peacock gals” loved having you at our conference and you were an amazing addition. Thanks for both presentations.

March 12, 2014 at 11:18 pm
Michelle Farrow

I was one of the “Peacock Gals” and thoroughly enjoyed my tice in birth your workshop and again during the business meeting part of your presentation. I will definitely use the information to organize my facts!

March 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Judy Grundy

I am also a “Peacock Gal”. I really enjoyed your presentation on building a timeline. I am going to try it to bring more “life” to my ancestors. Hoping this will spark an interest in my grandkids and show them “dead” relatives can tell a story.

March 14, 2014 at 8:54 am
Mary Shearer

Loved your Friday presentation at the TXDAR state conference. Your comments and fresh perspective gave us all the boost we needed. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a speaker so much.

March 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Ocia Brinkman Jeffries

Anne,
I am a “Daughter” who attended your workshop in Dallas. I am researching the Gold Star Mother Pilgrimage for a future presentation to the Texas State Historical Association. Any suggestions on finding any information on the GSM (especially those from Texas) would be greatly appreciated. I have used the Ancestry.com list of passengers and found many of the GSM who travelled to Europe to visit the graves of their sons or husbands who were killed in WWI and buried overseas, but it just gives me their name and address, nothing about the actual soldier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ocia Brinkman Jeffries

March 15, 2014 at 2:42 pm