Posted by on January 14, 2014 in Ask Ancestry Anne

I suspect most of us have plenty of names like John Smith or Bob Jones in our trees. But some of the names stand out just because they are a little bit different. Or maybe just fun to say.

rm cash

Tombstone of Ready Cash

Take my 4th Great Grandfather. On his tombstone, we see the rather boring old R.M. Cash and his wife Mary Hartigan.

He went by Ready Cash.  Most of his census records list him as Ready.

And he signs his name on my 3rd Great Grandmother’s marriage bond as Ready Cash. Who chooses to go by Ready Cash?

ready signature

Signature of Ready Cash

Now the 1880 census lists him as Redding, which I suspect is his real name. But it seems he went by Ready. Ready Cash.  He’s pretty hard to do a text search on.

Oh, and then there is his brother Peachy. Their father was Thomas Cash. Thomas’ first wife was Jemina Peachy and his second wife was Jane Camron. Most researchers believe that Peachy was the son of Jane. Sometimes the surname of the first wife was used as the name of the child of the 2nd wife. And sometimes the maiden name of the only wife was used as a name of a child. But yes, they were Peachy and Ready Cash.

I also have a Zebedee and Josephat Hash in my tree. Granted, they don’t make you smile like Peachy and Ready do. But they are fun to say!

I also find state names throughout the family trees for the women. There is the usual Virginia and Georgia, which seem like common enough girls’ names. But I also have Arkansas, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri and America. Never quite been able to figure those out.

So what names did your ancestors leave for you to smile or wonder about? What are you favorites?

Happy Searching!

About Anne Gillespie Mitchell

Donna

I have the unusual name of Hatevil Nutter.

January 14, 2014 at 4:23 pm
Linda

my 3rd great grandfather Oley spelled his name differently on every census.. He even used his son name on one. And his son has died 5 years earlier before that census!!

January 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Matt Rademacher

Regarding names of states used as first name — I too have found a woman named Missouri, and I have found a man with the first name of America. Unusual and/or creative spellings and usages bring a smile to my face, and no longer surprise. What is a bit odd is when an unusual first name gets repeated again & again in an extended family. I guess one has to evaluate “hints” even if it is an unusual name.

January 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Larry

One wonders how Pleasant Pinkney Shehorn survived his school days? Or Peter Meador? Or the ladies Dimple Alice Shell and Dimple Era Etheridge.

January 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Aymee

My 4 great-grandmother was Palmyra E.F. Jackson. Thought Palmyra was an odd name, but its not as uncommon as I thought. No idea what the E and F stand for. She also had a sister named Epsey. Their father was Absalom.

I do have to say, Ready Cash is quite a different name. Having such an unusual name makes you want to find out more about him!

January 14, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Joy

My 6th great-grandfather was Frost And Snow – first, middle, and last name. Others in the family were Ice Snow and Hail Snow.

January 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm
Donna

I have females named Sarah Texas and her sister Mary Tennessee. I have males named Lafayette/Lafait (La Fate or Fate), Cleveland, Greenberry, and Beriah(Bee). I also have a Holiday.

January 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Erica

My 2x great grandfather’s name on his tombstone is Jacob K. Hudson. When searching for any info about him and his wife Susan Crossley, I found that his name was actually Jacquish. This being confirmed by his and Susan’s marriage record. On the 1880 Census it is spelled Jakewish and in the 1890 and 1891 Columbus City Directories it is spelled Jaquesh.

January 14, 2014 at 8:08 pm
Sue

We have a woman named California whose nickname was Callie. And her granddaughter was actually named Callie. And that granddaughter had a great-granddaughter named after her: Callie. I do not think the latest Callie knows that started out as California. That first California was married to Christopher Columbus Dikes.

January 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Adriana

I have a female ancestor named “Mary America” and often she’d go by “America.”

Like many other people, I have ancestors with presidents’ names, like Andrew Jackson [surname].

My great-great-grandmother was Aletha Artemis [surname]. Artemis?

January 14, 2014 at 9:17 pm
Kevin McGeary

My 5X Gr. Grandmother’s maiden name was Eunice Ditto. When I first saw it on other Ancestry trees, I thought it was a mistake and her real surname was found on the previous page of an incomplete passenger list. It doesn’t help that in early US Census only the head of household was named. The wives were unfortunately just counted in the age group column of females. Later when the family were named, the surname was just “ditto” of the Head of household. Apparently “Ditto” is an English name; I still wonder if her real name was E. ” “

January 15, 2014 at 6:51 am
Lynn David

One name I like was that of a friend of my father. His name was Usona – which came from the first letter of United States Of North America.

January 15, 2014 at 7:21 am
Bunny Merrill

While they were not so unusual at the time, names I like are Thankful, Comfort and Love. I have several of each in my tree.

January 15, 2014 at 8:48 am
Jeff

My grandmothers maiden name is Wyse, but on my fathers birth certificate it was changed to Weiss. I do not know who my grandfather is, as my father was born out of wedlock. No relatives will tell me as they don’t want to bring the skeletons in the closet out into public. I just want to find who my grandfather is/was.

January 15, 2014 at 10:01 am
Jan

I have a bunch of McRaes in my tree with the first name, Farquhar. I thought it was pronounced Far-qwar. When I visited Scotland I was informed that it was pronounced Fo-ker, as in “Meet the Fockers”. I can understand why the name died out! And glad it did!

January 15, 2014 at 11:13 am
Mindy

Relatives on my Grandfathers side are John Bee Gay, James B Gay, John B Gay. My favorite is (Ansenetta) Ashenfelter. I think is its a very different pretty name.

January 15, 2014 at 11:17 am
Betty F. Clifton

My favorites in my family are two which roll off your tongue with such ease and both were easy to trace with these unusual names
OBADIAH DOOLEY
MALACHAI MCCOY
/say then two or three times quickly…
Betty

January 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Lori

In researching my husband’s family, I have found the names, Pink and Bland for men and Pleasant for a woman.

January 15, 2014 at 3:06 pm
Lorie

For a very long time, I believed that “Karenhappuck Johnson” was one of my ancestors. Turns out she’s not, but I still love the name and wish she were :-)

Funny that the above Lori said she has seen Pleasant for a woman’s name. I have seen it many times as a man’s name.

January 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Barbara McGeachy

My favorite North Carolina ancestor was Fanny Rash.

January 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Allen

I’ve got a Bernt Bacon in my tree. I’m thinking the censsus taker misspelled it, but it’s a funny one!

There’s also Colon Bacon.

January 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Tara

Names that stand out on my family tree: New Orleans, Plush, Tasket, Odessa, German, Puce, Fuddie, Toy.

January 16, 2014 at 5:09 am
Robin

Ready Cash – that’s almost as good as Max Power.

January 16, 2014 at 8:40 am
Marti

My family doesn’t really seem to have the unusual names, so I’ve really enjoyed reading what other’s have in their families.
What I’ve noticed in my family is that they had 2 or 3 names and they stuck with them, over and over and over again. Sometimes, siblings in the same family had the same first and middle names, just the order changed; so one’s first name was the other’s middle name.
Sadly, one family had 4 sons named Jan, the first 3 died in infancy, the 4th one lived to be in his 70′s.
I also had an ancestor that changed her first name each time she got married.
Adds to the mystery!

January 17, 2014 at 7:46 am
Erica

I have come across Tryphena, which I find interesting. Sounds like a hurricane or tropical storm.

January 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Kiki

My great-grandfather, Cherubusco, was named after the battle of Churubusco in the Mexican American War. His son was named the same, which has made it difficult to find records, because it was written in almost every configuration you can think of, and interpreted wrong when it was right on a document.

January 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Paula Tillman

I love unusual names! To me, its so much easier to find ancestors if they weren’t one of a thousand John Smiths, etc. My family is a blend of several different ethnicities, and my favorite names are the Italian and French ones. My great grandmother was Caterina, which I know means Catherine in Italian. My grandmother’s name was Lugrezia but she was called Lugri (which somehow census takers thought was GRACE!). My grandfather was Fernand, but he went by his middle name of Robert; and his father’s name was Joseph Elizir or Elisee. My son’s name is Xander, which is a shortened version of Alexander.

January 19, 2014 at 8:28 am
Joan Gill

I have 4 generations of men with the same first, middle, last name. But I also have Independencia Ruth Gill. Spellcheck wants to quit because of Mehetabell, Spicy Ann, Tryphena, Sylvanus, Vilate, Experience, Jeredassa, Alpharetta, Orling Schovel, and Rheuemma. The winner of the “what Were They Thinking?” award goes to Fanny Rash – the tears are still rolling.

January 19, 2014 at 11:32 am
Suzanne Moller

I have an Issachar in my paternal line. My maternal line is Silpath. No clue of its origin. All I know is that all Silpaths are related!

January 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm
Jade

In one branch, Agzilla recurs. In another Vi(o)linda goes through generations and is a family marker — as is Aseneth/Sena in another (not uncommon along with Ruhamah and Mahala in New England, but this is West Virginia!).

January 21, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Julie Walker

I had a great Aunt Gool. That was what I always knew her as and boy was I surprised when I learned her full name was Jesse Gool Hamilton. I will always wonder why she went by the name of Gool instead of Jesse. I have yet to find a family connection for this strange name. One of my other aunts was named Ruby Gool Hamilton. I’m glad Aunt Ruby used her first name instead of her middle name!

January 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm
Susan Johnson

Great names here! I have a “Houry” Neil, at least that’s how ancestry reads it on the 1855 census. I can’t find her anywhere else to compare the name. Any ideas from you folks about what this name could be? Starts with an H, has some very hard to read letters in the middle, ends with a y. Could be Honny? She was from Ireland, if that helps. Thanks!

January 23, 2014 at 5:53 am
Melissa Brogan

I love the ones that sound weird now but were fairly common in their contemporary era. Thankful, Comfort, etc… the best one IMO is “Experience” of which my tree currently has 4. The nicknames are fun, and I wish I could find more information about how they came to be called by those names, such as Thomas Goodman, who went by Merrik. Nothing quite as fun as Ready Cash, though!

January 23, 2014 at 11:39 am
Tara Wildes

I have in my tree…

Union Kettle
Experience Byram
Civility Robinson

Along with my aunts Vernie Mae, Oweda Faye; my grandmother Claudia and her twin Maudia; uncles Lester and Chester it seems our family has a recent affinity for rhyming.

January 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm
On This April Fool’s Day, Tell Us Which Ancestor Made A Fool Out of You

[...] Wallace and his wife was Martha Jane Cash. Now I know that Martha Jane Cash was the daughter of Ready Cash. (Yes, really, that was the name he went by.)  But who was Charlton’s father? Now I searched [...]

April 1, 2014 at 10:21 am