Posted by on January 10, 2014 in In The Community, Stories

I write about genealogy as part of my job. So what’s something I do in my off hours? Write about genealogy. Last fall, I decided to take a look at how I was doing my personal blogging and launched No Story Too Small. As the name implies, all of the stories that we find about our ancestors are important. Our ancestors didn’t have to be famous (or infamous); they didn’t have to be part of a critical moment in history. My goals with No Story Too Small have been to remind myself that it’s alright to blog about just a portion of someone’s life and to inspire others to do the same on their blogs.

52ancestorsOne of the best ways to keep writing is to have goals or a calendar. (“I’ll write sometime” is usually a doomed strategy.) So to challenge myself and others to write at least once a week, I started the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. The premise: write about one ancestor each week this year. It could be a story, a photograph, a document, a pesky research problem — anything, as long as it involves one ancestor. The next week, write about another ancestor. Doing this will get you to look at those people in your family tree in a different light. What is it you want to say about that person?

To say that 52 Ancestors has taken on a life of its own would be a slight understatement. As of this morning, 157 bloggers have said they are taking the challenge. On January 8, I posted the Week 1 recap, which had links to 123 entries! Four bloggers have already made connections. (Yay, cousin bait!)

The entries in Week 1 were as varied as you might expect. Ancestors ranged from parents to at least one 8th-great grandfather. Some of the posts that stood out to me were:

• The Meanest Man Who Ever Lived” by Peggy Clemens Lauritzen on her blog “Always Anxiously Engaged.” First, it takes no small amount of courage to describe your great-grandfather as the meanest man who ever lived. Peggy’s description of how she looked at his life in total, using things like timelines and examining the neighborhood and extended family, is a lesson in how to learn more about the person.
  • Catherine Conway Sawyer” by Susan Clark on her blog “Nolichucky Roots.” Susan describes Catherine as “the Nolichuckiest of my Nolichucky Roots.” If that isn’t a great description, I’m not sure what is.
  • Laura Cecile Donald” by our own Ancestry Anne, Anne Gillespie Mitchell, on her blog “Finding Forgotten Stories.” Anne is taking the challenge one step farther and aims to focus solely on the females in her family tree.

Each week, I’ll try to put together some of my favorite 52 Ancestors posts and share them with you here on the Ancestry blog.

If you’d like to join the challenge and be included in the weekly recap, leave a comment below or on my blog and include a link. (When you do blog something for the challenge, please put “52 Ancestors” in the title so I have some hope of finding it.)

It’s not too late to join the challenge; indeed, it’s never too late to start writing about your ancestors!

My paternal grandmother Adah Young Johnson, the subject of my 1st "52 Ancestors."

My paternal grandmother Adah Young Johnson, the subject of my 1st “52 Ancestors.”

About Amy Johnson Crow

Amy Johnson Crow is a Community Manager for Ancestry.com. She's a Certified Genealogist and an active lecturer and author. Her roots run deep in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states. She earned her Masters degree in Library and Information Science at Kent State University. Amy loves to help people discover the joys of learning about their ancestors and she thinks that there are few things better than a day in a cemetery. You can find her on Facebook, Twitter, and No Story Too Small.

Anita

I did a similar idea a couple years ago by featuring every ancestor on their birthday, which worked out to about ten posts a month:
It was a great way to stay on schedule and focus on one at a time!

January 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Tracey

I would love to do this but do not know how or where to start a blog. Please help.
Tracey

January 10, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Maeve Mitchelll

What a great idea – I would love to join the challenge but I will have to do two in one week to catch up!

January 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm
Bernita Allen

I have been following this challenge and I think it’s a great idea. Thank you for the recap.

January 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm
MiChal

I’ve been on Ancestry for a LONG time. A few years ago I started a blog for the stories on my dad’s side of the family. http://wilsongrayfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/1000-words/

January 10, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Amy Johnson Crow

Anita — That is quite the project you took on! Very nice!

Tracey — Two of the most popular places to start a blog are Blogger.com (connected to Google) and WordPress.com. Both are free and both have many how-to tutorials online. Pretty much, if you can type, you can blog.

Maeve — You can catch up or not; it’s completely up to you!

Bernita — Thanks for the kind words!

MiChal — That’s a good bit of writing! Kudos for telling those stories.

January 10, 2014 at 7:45 pm
Michelle Rasmussen

I missed the original announcement! I’m trying to do one per day! Some days there just isn’t much to work with! My blog is: leavesandnuts.blogspot.com.

January 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Shannon Carr

My Fritz. He isn’t just my Fred any longer, it turns out, he is a lot of people’s Fritz! When I started researching Fritz, I did not realize how extensive his (our) family is. Since researching, I have had the pleasure of introducing myself to so many people of the “Simmen” clan! I am the luckiest genealogist I the world! Fritz was one of many early advocates for public physical education! He was a member of the Turnverien organization that is responsible for revolutionizing what is now what the kids call ” gym” clas. He taught gym since 1902 in the Pittsburgh public school system. His son Oscar was also a prominent gym teacher in Monongahela school system in Pa. At an age somewhere over 50 did a giant swing WITHOUT A THUMB!!! I believe he is my favorite ancestor because starting at such a young age, he was always the ancestor that was most talked about and that my grandmother was so proud of her grandfather. I followed in his footsteps and was a gymnast for nearly 10 years. I may not have met this man, but the connection to family is definitely there.

January 10, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Cathy

Amy, I accept your challenge. It may be a tall order, but surely I’ll come up with at least 52 great stories in the family tree. Now, it will be a bit harder to find the time to tell them all. Here goes…..

January 11, 2014 at 1:38 am
Keith Davis

52 Ancestors -
Uncle Carl [Charles A. Schuh] was my inspiration for beginning my family history. He was born in 1892 and lived until 1993 [101] years old. He always had a great story to tell, and was a guest lecturer for the Buffalo, NY Historical Society.

January 11, 2014 at 7:28 am
Patricia Rohn

I love this challenge and have decided to join. Here is my first ever blog post: http://patriciarohn.wordpress.com/

January 11, 2014 at 7:37 am
Aymee

What a great idea!! This has inspired me to take my research to a new level. Been researching my family for 13+ years and have so many stories that probably should be put down into writing. Going to look into starting my own blog. I’m not a writer, and not sure how to start a blog, so any suggestions would be great!

January 11, 2014 at 9:24 am
Pat Stoughton

This is the first I’ve seen this blog. And I get your updates on a regular basis.

However, besides that, this seems doable. As a substitute teacher, I often have downtime (prep period, lunch, etc.) I could actually take a name and do this. I don’t have a lot of stories since everyone died when I was young. There are family tales, however, that have taken a life of their own and have sometimes been proven to be untrue.

So how do I start? Maybe with the time of the picture? Who was in office?

Pat

January 11, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Anna K. Brown

Is there a place on Ancestry where we can post a blog so that others doing research on the same people might find our posts?

January 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Brad Watson

OK – Let’s try this again. My previous TWO posts seem to have been snagged by a spam filter for some reason. I’ll leave off the blog URL from this message and hope that does the trick.

16,000 people in my tree – I’m sure I can find 50 stories from that kind of selection!

January 11, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Brad Watson

OK, so far so good… my blog is at montanatude.wordpress.com

January 11, 2014 at 5:16 pm
52 Ancestors Challenge • We Cannot Know Them All

[...] my postings.  And if I’m honest its more miss than hit.  But this morning while reading the Ancestry.com blog I got kinda excited.  Why?  Because I already started this challenge and didn’t know [...]

January 11, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Peggy Sternberg

This fits right into a class I am taking at our public library. We meet once a month to share our writting assignment for that week and get our assignment for the next class. All of this is leading us to write our family story.

January 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Michelle Gobert

What a great idea. I am up for the challenge. I just posted by first week and I’m rather excited. I hope it’s ok I used your 52 week ancestors image in my introduction. Let me know if its not and I’ll change it.

January 11, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Aymee

OK…I’ve stepped outside my comfort zone and done it! Hopefully I’ll get better at it as I go on. You can see my first blog at http://myancestorsleaves.blogspot.com/, all about my grandmother Tennie Belle Holcomb.

January 11, 2014 at 7:41 pm
FHC Librarian

I have been researching my ancestors for 30 years and I have always looked beyond the births, deaths, and marriages. Your family history isn’t complete without these stories. Some are more difficult to find and take time, consequently I only have a few thousand people in each tree, because I do this.

There are many trees on Ancestry which don’t even have source information. Many show a relation to my people and many are incorrect. I don’t have time to contact all these people who have mistakes.

Needless to say I don’t trust anyone’s tree without facts and sources. Having stories that can be checked make them more accurate and interesting.

January 11, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Angela Reed

What a great idea!!! I have been trying to write about some of my ancestors the past few months of last year so now this gives me more impetus to continue doing so and expand the project even further. I have never started a blog but will be adding information to my Family Tree Maker file and my Ancestry.com tree.

January 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Angie

Just yesterday I was looking through my blog noticing it’s lack of recent entries. Perfect timing. And as you say, you can start anytime, and just continue for 52 weeks! I accept! Good luck to all of us!

I’ll be writing about my husband’s side of the family at
whatwastheirstory.blogspot.com

January 12, 2014 at 1:44 am
Lisa Bullock Mings

I would love to be involved in your challenge. I need to be challenged to get good results. Thanks for this opportunity.

52 Weeks

January 12, 2014 at 3:30 am
Genie Holt

This is a wonderful idea. I (sadly) think my ancestors must have had something interesting or heroic about their lives before I write! No wonder I don’t get much done on that – mostly we have no idea what their challenges were. I’ll have to catch up and the challenge for me is to keep it simple.

January 12, 2014 at 7:33 am
Arlene Baker

I had resolved to start writing about both my husband and my ancestors this year and so deciding to take up you challenge is something I want try. I love history and what can be more personally important than your own family history. I’m starting with my 2nd great grandmother, Sarah Babcock.
Arlene Baker

January 12, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Johannes Kemper – My 6th Great-Grandfather | Shake Your Family Tree

[...] am doing this as part of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge. I did not find this challenge until I saw someone post their week 2 entry. This is a challenge I [...]

January 12, 2014 at 7:17 pm
Observer

What a great idea! How are you able to stop researching and start writing? Every time I am ready to catch up on adding newfound ancestors into my family tree maker program, wouldn’t you know it… I discover a gr. gr. grandmother who I thought died dirt poor in a sod house inheriting over a million dollars. In 1880 money no less! And when discovering things like this, I immediately go into research mode to learn more. Thus the stop and take a breath moments never come.

I don’t think I’m alone in this. Do you have any pointers? And by the way, the inheritance story never made it to my father’s generation. So I keep soldiering on trying to learn more to tell a proper story. Leaving so many other worthy stories untold.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any tips.

January 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm
Cathy Giles

What a great incentive to keep the stories up with the research. I hope I can do all 52!

January 12, 2014 at 9:06 pm
Pat T

I have started to write a profile on an ancestor, but do not know anything about blogging. Can you tell me exactly how to participate, as in Step 1, Step 2. Sorry, this is probably easier than I am making it, but it seems a bit confusing and I need it spelled out in elementary steps! lol!
Once I am logged onto a blog site, what is the next step and How do I connect to … NO STORIES TOO SMALL or 52 WEEKS.
Thanks!

January 13, 2014 at 10:29 am
Amy Johnson Crow

Several have asked about how/where to start blogging. Two easy-to-use, free blogging sites are Blogger.com and WordPress.com. If you don’t want to blog, how about adding a note to that person’s profile on your tree on Ancestry? You could also send an email to a group of family members. The important thing is to write something, no matter where you write it.

January 13, 2014 at 10:54 am
Judean A. Wise

Amy, Do we need to notify you every week about our blog entry? I’ve posed two so far this week.

judeanannwise53.wordpress.com

January 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Caroline Mohr

Amy, what a great idea. But rather than blogging, I’m going to make a digital storybook with one page for each of the 52 weeks/stories. My mother’s 93-year-old brother passed away last Saturday. That will definitely be the story for that week. Thanks for the idea.

January 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Mary Hollowell

Starting late but I hope to catch up!

January 14, 2014 at 2:30 pm
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge | My Family History Files

[...] a challenge to family history bloggers to post about an ancestor a week during 2014. I read about the challenge on the Ancestry blog and thought I would [...]

January 14, 2014 at 7:18 pm
Kay Vawter

findingthetrailstoidaho.blogspot.com
I think this will really be interesting and will also encourage me to continue on with my search for information.
I am pretty new at this blogging, but I am excited to learn.

January 15, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Karen Bridgman Acker

Hi Amy. I’ve started my blog and I thought I posted the information to you last weekend and sent a comment yesterday but I think they went into some abyss somewhere. could you please let me know if you have my blog site and link etc. thanks, Karen

January 16, 2014 at 7:30 am
Sue

How do I follow via my blog don’t want to follow on twitter orvfacebook

January 17, 2014 at 8:49 am
Laura Cosgrove Lorenzana

I’m in! Took on a 3fer to catch up, but I’ll be with you each week. Thanks so much for suggesting this Amy!

January 17, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Elise Olsen

I will be blogging on familysearch.org on my familytree. My goal has been to get a story or picture on each ancestor I possibly can. Is it necessary to create a blog or is familytree okay?
Thanks for the inspiration, Elise

January 19, 2014 at 11:48 am
Genie Holt

52 Ancestors – my first post for this challenge. I thought I’d do just a short thing on my great grandmother and then started checking some facts, and then finding some more information, and pretty soon I had found her mother’s surname, and another generation back from that! Even if I only did one week, this was a very productive and exciting find! I’ve looked for these people for years and years.

January 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Dan Leite

As we are into week 3 I have posted 3 Ancestors on my Facebook page. They are Rev. John Lothrop, Henry Adams & Samuel Morse. I welcome all comments, especially if anyone shares these Ancestors.

January 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Joan Morrison Gill

I started my first blog, now what? How do I share it with 52 Ancestors…?

January 22, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Joan McHale

Here’s my first. I want to play, too.

January 23, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Johannes Kemper - My 6th Great Grandfather | Shake Your Family Tree

January 25, 2014 at 9:48 am
Virginia Allain

I’m posting my 52 ancestors for the challenge on the Bubblews site. To keep track of them, I’m keeping pinboards on Pinterest for each family line.

Already 3 others on Bubblews have joined in.

February 5, 2014 at 8:06 pm
February 7, 2014 at 11:59 pm
52 Week Ancestors Challenge | Geek Granny's Genealogy

[...] Johnson Crow at Ancestry.com initiated the 52 Ancestors Challenge. I just started my challenge this week. So far I have posted two ancestor stories on Bubblews.com. [...]

February 9, 2014 at 8:34 am
Mary Hannah

I am joining this very late, but I think it should be interesting and fun.

February 10, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Terry Murphy Mallett

I love the idea and will join the challenge. I have years of research to write up if it is to be shared with others. I don’t have a website. DO I need one? Not sure how to get one and advice will be appreciated.

February 21, 2014 at 8:31 am
Amy Johnson Crow

Terry – If you’re interested in starting a blog, two free options are blogspot.com (requires a Google account) and wordpress.com. But the goal of the “52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks” Challenge is to write more about your ancestors, no matter where you do that. It could be on a blog, Facebook, emails to a group of relatives, a journal, etc. You can add stories to your ancestors’ profiles in your family tree using Family Tree Maker or your online tree. Recording it is the main thing; where and how you do it is up to you.

February 21, 2014 at 8:40 am
Kim Chase

This is a great motivational idea. I might just try this.

March 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm
March 9, 2014 at 10:08 am
52 Ancestors–#10: Alonzo Green, Cheese-making Entrepreneur / Collecting Ancestors

[...] For more details on the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge, go here. [...]

March 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm
52 Ancestors — #11: Baptist Robert Brush, My Irish Ancestor (sort of) / Collecting Ancestors

[...] For more details on the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge, go here. [...]

March 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm
52 Ancestors — #12: Mary Sumner Green, Who Had a Big Heart, Literally / Collecting Ancestors

[...] This posting on Mary Sumner Green is part of my participation in Amy Johnson Crow’s 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. For more details on her Challenge, go here. [...]

March 18, 2014 at 11:20 am
Think About Going Right in Your Tree, Not Left: Women’s History Month

[...] while back, Amy Johnson Crow, a regular contributor on our blog, introduced the 52 Ancestors Challenge. I can’t refuse a good challenge, so I decided to do it, but I’m working on the women [...]

March 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm
pmm

Just learned about this challenge and it is a great excuse to make me write! I have been putting small stories on our blog but think I will make these be ‘full life’ stories. Eager to get started at HeritageRamblings.net.

March 29, 2014 at 10:57 am
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge | Heritage Ramblings 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge | Musings on Family History and Genealogy

[...] would do. Turns out it was a challenge form Ancestry.com’s Amy Johnson Crow on one of her Ancestry.com blog posts. Of course, I am late to the party, since it is March, not Jan. 1- always seem to be running [...]

March 30, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Jenny Claxton

I’ve never written a blog before either although my website designer kept suggesting it. Do you mind if we join the challenge from the UK? Would love to give it a try :)

April 2, 2014 at 6:35 am
Donna Allen

I’m in! I’ll need to set up a blog, though, but that’s okay :) What a cool idea!

April 2, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Maxine Jones

Love this idea. Will have to set up a blog later…

April 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm
Sheena

This is a great idea. I’ll try to work out how to set up a blog over the next few days. I have quite a few interesting tales, rumours etc that I could start with.

April 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm
Susan

I have been working on a blog for awhile now. It is a combination of both my family genealogy and my love of cemeteries (and a member of findagrave.com, now part of ancestry).

April 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Lesley

I want to play: starting today
My blog is: http://andrewjpalmergeorgia-salina.blogspot.com/

April 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Susan fires

I started doing my tree to find out who paternal great grandmother was as she died in childbirth and no one knew her name, I have ended up finding that I have royal ancesters but am wondering if I have just got on a wrong line as it all seems a bit unrealistic to me, and I still haven’t found out who my great gran was after 2 years

April 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm
Sandy Ross

I would like to take pat in the 52 ancestors 52 weeks how do I join?

April 3, 2014 at 3:49 am
Diane McInnes

What a great idea how do I join or do I just set up my own blog?

April 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Jenni Rae

I know am very late to the party but I’d like to throw my hat into the ring! http://littleknownleaves.wordpress.com/

April 11, 2014 at 5:23 pm