Hunger Games Hometown Favorites – Katniss? Haymitch? Coriolanus Snow?

Posted by Kristie Wells on November 23, 2013 in Cool Finds

We could not wait for the release of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, the second film in The Hunger Games trilogy, and thought it would be fun to map out the Districts in the movie, as if Panem actually existed.

ACOM_HungerGames_Districts

Our beloved Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Hutcherson) both come from District 12, which covers areas in South Carolina (Lawrence) and Virginia (Hutcherson).

Haymitch Abernathy (Harrelson) has roots in District 10, corresponding to parts of Texas.

Cinna (Kravitz) comes from District 11, which we mapped to Georgia and the books author (Collins) has ancestors in Indiana, also known as District 3.

For our friends up North, President Coriolanus Snow (Sutherland) has ties to District 13, which is the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.

Over the next couple of weeks we will be exploring these Districts, and their related States, a little closer as we highlight key collections and other items of interest from each of these areas.

What District Are Your Ancestors From?

About Kristie Wells
Kristie is Ancestry's Global Head of Social Media and Customer Engagement and is responsible for developing and managing the company's social media and social business offerings worldwide. She works with a team of community managers and social content developers to help educate Ancestry's existing customers, inspire new family historians and expand awareness into new social audiences and communities. She has a deep love of family history and is currently trying to break through the brick wall of her Christophier line (that we all know is really the 'Christopher' surname) and to one day prove - or disprove - the baron line of the Wells family. It shall be done.

Comments
1 Huh?November 23, 2013 at 2:28 pm

This is about as relevant to genealogy as a bicycle is useful to a fish.

2 LorettaNovember 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Seriously??? Could someone ban Kristie from the blog? Kittens jumping rope, press releases posted as if she wrote them, and now this. Leave the blog to the genealogists on the staff.

3 NicoleNovember 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I would answer your final question, however, your underlying map is so indistinct that I can not tell which state is where!

4 tracy silveriaNovember 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm

i think the above detractors are taking this all too seriously. no one said that genealogy had to be boring – why not have some pop-culturally relevant posts? get your noses out of dusty books long enough and have a laugh.

5 Kristie WellsNovember 23, 2013 at 7:13 pm

#2: Loretta, we are fortunate to have a diverse community surrounding Ancestry.com, and the content we share on our blog is meant to offer a little something for everyone. If there are specific topics you would like the team to cover, please share them here and we would be happy to add them to our content plan.

#3: Nicole, I have asked the research team to provide the other states-to-Districts matches and will update the post once I have it.

#4: Tracy, thank you.

6 joanNovember 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for showing some of the fun we can have with genealogy. I grinned all the way through your description. Joan

7 Tracy L MeyersNovember 24, 2013 at 7:46 am

I am still scratching my head, trying to understand what this fantasy garbage has to do with genealogy? How does it help me or anyone learn what repositories, resources, documents, etc., etc. are available to us? How does it teach me to critically think and discern the accuracy of a document and the information contained within? How does it teach me critical research skills; timelines, transcription, geopolitical history, etc., etc.? How does it teach me the importance of understanding where the information came from and who provided it?

Kristi Wells, what we’d like is for your ‘team’ to actively teach ancestry.com’s subscribers and facebook fans. What are primary and secondary source documents? Why are they important? Why the ‘shaky leaf’ is just a hint nothing more; why it is important to really do our due diligence and research that hint out. Not, just blindly copy it to our tree. Why it is a disservice to our ancestors, our families and other family historians to just name collect? Teach your subscribers that the best way to honor their ancestors is to research and accurately document them and the family tree. Dissuade fantasy and junk trees; don’t promote (such as with article) them and don’t shy away from a ‘teaching’ moment. When someone says that they are descendant from . . . but all they have had to go on is family lore – encourage them to really research the information out rather than take it at face value. When someone mentions that they have traced their family back to . . . but all they’ve relied on is family trees that they copied; encourage them to locate the supporting source documents, educate them on how and where they might find them and why it is important.

Not too long ago there was a core group of knowledgeable subscribers and fans that were willing to help in this endeavor. Your ‘team’ has made it clear, however, that they are persona non grata.

Our ancestor’s best honored when researched and documented accurately. But,you and ‘your team’ seem more interested in ‘puffing’ up novice and amateurs – lest their fragile egos be hurt. Now fantasy and fiction is increasingly the norm, rather than the exception.

Not too long ago, there was a core group of subscribers and fans that were active in helping new research learn and understand the importance of sound research; your ‘team’ however, has made it clear that they are persona non grata. You want ‘rainbows, lollipops, dancing bears and unicorns.’ Your page and knowledge-base have suffered because of it. Now fantasy and junk seem to be the rule rather than exception. They are promoted both by your ‘team’s’ silence and by posts such as this.

My suggestion would be – if you and your ‘team’ feel that there is a market for this type of nonsense; fictional trees, characters, ancestors and bloodlines, then develop a fantasy genealogy website. If there is market for it, the website and your ‘team’ will thrive.

Ancestry.com, isn’t the place for it. It doesn’t do ancestry.com nor your subscribers justice to mix the two.

8 Bartholomew TurtlesheadNovember 24, 2013 at 8:03 am

At least here you get updates. The Ancestry UK blog hasn’t been updated for over a month. Same money inferior service.

9 MarieNovember 24, 2013 at 8:09 am

I couldn’t care less about the Hunger Games but I’m beginning to think a few of my lines are Klingon(think cloaking device). Why dip into fiction..there are so many fun historical characters that would have made for a more educational blog. Who is your target market?

10 LorettaNovember 24, 2013 at 9:43 am

Marie, I’m starting to think their target market is the clickophiles who have Poseidon and Adam & Eve on their trees.

11 Idaho GalNovember 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

#9 To answer your question: the target market are the junkologists because they are in the majority. Now, if I could just download some of the census records today without constantly getting an “error has occurred” message I would feel blessed.

12 DebbieNovember 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm

What District Are Your Ancestors From?

I can answer that. My ancestors did not come from any of these fictional districts. My ancestors were real people. They were not characters in a book.

13 bethNovember 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Although a bit confusing….I applaud ancestry for trying to make things interesting and appealing to a younger generation. I love my elders (including those who come in to the library to do research) but come on…have a sense of fun! Maybe something like this will draw in teens….and they’ll research YOU, you don’t want to be known as a dull crab! Keep expanding horizons Ancestry!!

14 ScottyzimNovember 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I think Ancestry is having an identity crisis as well as a technology one.
Just my 2 cents.

15 AnnieNovember 24, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I agree with most of the posters in this blog. I’m not crazy about fictional trees or enticing teens to get on and create junk trees wtih their “I want it now” attitudes. While genealogy is a great deal of fun for me, it is also something serious, and I pay for use of this site with limited funds. Don’t waste my time, money and the site resources on this nonsense.

If I want fun, I’ll watch a funny movie or Kmart’s latest TV commercial on Joe Boxer shorts.

16 CHNovember 24, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Lay off the celebrities whether real or fictional. I don’t like paying for this crap.

17 hfarmerNovember 25, 2013 at 1:44 am

Ancestries “problem” is that Genealogy is not and never will be appealing to the 18-35 demographic. It is not cool, hip, or fun. They should just accept that it is a niche hobby and appeal as much as possible to us.

18 SamanthaNovember 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love this!
I always wondered where exactly the districts were and it’s interesting to see how the actors’ family histories match up to the characters’.
I don’t know why everyone is being so crabby, fun factoids like this don’t negatively impact anyone’s research and they’re fun to see!
PS hfarmer, I’m in the 18-35 demographic. I’ve been doing genealogy research for five years and I love it!

19 PamNovember 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Wow – such hateful comments. Can’t people just have a little fun sometimes? I don’t know about anyone else, but researching my family can get boring at times, and more often than not – frustrating! I thought this blog was a nice distraction. Take a deep breath, calm down, and have a little fun!

20 LuisNovember 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Haha, cool little post (even if it is based on fictional characters)! I also fall in the “18-35″ demographic, I’m 23 and I’ve been doing genealogy for about 9 years now! :)

Pam, I agree 100%!