Native American ancestries are some of the most challenging to prove. Join us as one of ProGenealogist’s experts, Joseph B. Shumway, leads an online training session that will give you in-depth information about researching the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole).
This session is designed to be interactive! You will have the opportunity to ask questions to the instructor, one of the leading experts in Native American research. There will also be short quizzes so you can make sure that you understand the key points that are presented. There will also be time for a general question and answer session at the end. This webinar is one hour long and is $39.95 . Attendees will receive a four-page syllabus to download with some history, a map showing where the various tribes were located before and after removal, methodology, and information about some of the records that are covered in the training.
What will you learn in this training?
- Strategies for confirming whether or not you have a 19th-21st century Native American ancestor.
- How to use Native American records to document and extend your family tree.
- Key record collections for the Five Civilized Tribes and how to use them.
- What information various Native American records contain.
- Other key records for ethnic origins and how to find them.
- Where to find Native American records online.
Who should take this training?
- Researchers who think they have 19th- 21st century ancestors who were members of the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, Seminole).
- Family historians with a 19th-21st century family history Native American mystery to solve.
- Anyone curious about records and research methodologies pertaining to the Five Civilized Tribes.
- Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 5pm MST
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 11am MST
- Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 5pm MST
- Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 9am MST
- Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 11am MST
About Your Instructor
Your instructor will be Joseph B. Shumway, an expert in United States family history research with over 15 years of professional research experience. He has been a featured genealogical expert on the series Who Do You Think You Are? as well as CBS and CNN news.
Buy Your Ticket Now
This webinar is $39.95. Seats are limited to only 100 students per session. This small setting will allow students to have more interaction with the instructor and each other.
About Kristie Wells
Kristie is Ancestry's Head of Global Social Media and Online Support Community and is responsible for developing and managing the company's social media and social business offerings worldwide. She works with a team of community managers, genealogists and social content developers to help educate Ancestry's existing customers, inspire new family historians and expand awareness into new social audiences and communities. She has a deep love of family history and is currently trying to break through the brick wall of her Christophier line (that was supposedly French and Catalan, but it seems was really the Christopher's from Iowa) and to one day prove where the heck William Wells of Southhold, NY (b. 1608) was really born.