Posted by on October 2, 2013 in AncestryDNA

You may have heard, we are close to launching a new evolution to the AncestryDNA ethnicity results. Here’s some more information on a few of the new and exciting things AncestryDNA members will see in the coming weeks. And, you won’t even need to take the test again! This is one of the many benefits of AncestryDNA; as new findings are discovered, we give you updates along the way.

Here are a few highlights of what’s to come.

• New Ethnicity Results – you will see a more refined ethnicity estimate that incorporates years of research and one of the most comprehensive and diverse collections of DNA from around the world.
  • More details. You may see some new ethnicities you didn’t have before and more refined regions than ever before. The newly evolved AncestryDNA will provide you with estimates for each region and show all the populations and regions we tested you for.
  • New look, enhanced experience. The map, estimates and details of your personalized ethnicity will have a brand new look and feel. We’ve integrated feedback from our members to make the experience of your DNA results even better.

You can see why we’re really excited for this next evolution, and for our AncestryDNA members to see the breakthroughs that our science team is making in the field of genetic genealogy. Stay tuned and we’ll let you know when these updates will be available to all AncestryDNA members.

What will you discover with AncestryDNA? This is just the beginning, come join the journey.

Mike

Can’t wait!

October 2, 2013 at 10:53 am
Sarah

I cannot wait to see my updated results! Refreshing my results everyday.

October 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm
Helen Dawn Lokey

How exciting to know we are getting more detailed results of our DNA.
I have recently gotten my DNA results and that was very exciting! Now I have even more to look forward to. Thanks so much to all your science team.

I plan to have my husband’s DNA done soon. I have other family members thinking about having theirs done also. We all agree it is amazing how my DNA and family tree research blend. Makes all the many hours of research worth while!

October 2, 2013 at 6:17 pm
Ginny

I cant wait to see my updated results. When will the new results be out. Will they send us a email saying they are ready or do we just keep checking.

October 3, 2013 at 6:41 am
Nancy

I live in the US and have the International version, but most of my family is in the UK. They were very interested in my DNA results and are anxious to test their own. When will this happen?

October 3, 2013 at 9:40 am
Tonya

Awesome! Thanks for continuing to improve existing results too. I can’t wait for the updated results. I hope the 10% unknown on my dna test will be revised to show the additional ethnicity that family lore claimed is included in my ancestry. Looking forward to more defined information that pinpoints my ancestry to specific ethnic groups on the various continents that my ancestors came from. How does one volunteer :-) to be in pilot groups?? Sign me up!!!

October 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm
Judy

Fantastic! I have been waiting for this. I have found it interesting that I have matches to people who were 100% European jewish but I do not have this ethnicity in my chart. I was also matched to someone who was 100% other…….. I have been eagerly awaiting the updates that may not only clarify this but, as others have stated, might show ethnicities family stories have suggested might be there. CAN’T WAIT!!

October 5, 2013 at 5:29 am
Geri

Can’t wait either. My daughter has 14% uncertain and we are looking forward to find out what is in it. Mine is only 2%.

October 5, 2013 at 9:44 am
WI_Degenhardt_Salis_2013

I just read many of the comments about the new & improved DNA findings through Ancestry.com- I have also been wondering how the breakdown of your ongoing research compares to other online DNA sites such as 23&me. . . will there be continuous research ongoing from Ancestry to keep research fresh & provide more exact proof of DNA matches? I have been able to contact many of the suggestions you have sent, but not many actual connections made. . .
It will be extremely exciting to see what the next adventure and/or next chapter in the research becomes!
Thank you for continued scientific research that puts a bit more “proof in the pudding” where family tree research is concerned!
Lisa J. Jones- Wisconsin

October 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm
d skinner

Will the new results affect the cousins that we aare already matched with? Will we be able to see the ethnicity of our possible “cousins” as we do now?

October 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm
C Clifton

Mine were released as part of the test run. It is amazing. Pretty much everything I’ve found in my research is accurate!
The previous results gave me 63% Scandanavian, 19% Southern European, 11% British Isles and 7% Uncertain.
The detailed shows 28% Ireland, 21% Scandanavian, 20% Great Britain, 10% Europe West, 9% Iberian Peninsula, 6% Italy/Greece, 4% Africa, 2% West Asia. The last two seem to be ancient ancestry (so far).
The percentages match very closely to my ancestor’s geography.

October 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm
Marilyn

I am really excited to get more information about my DNA background! I was surprised about the Southern European part of my background, and I hope the new version will give more information and clarity on this.

October 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm
Jan

It is awesome that Ancestry.com reaches past the status quo of maintaining a huge database website.
Listening and responding to a ‘membership’ of eight million people is the ultimate challenge and I think Ancestry rises above and goes beyond for everyone’s benefit.
Personally, I can’t wait for the complete new updates and excitedly look forward to “what’s next” on the agenda. I too would love to volunteer to be part of any focus groups that you may have upcoming.
THANKS for all the efforts; keep them coming. Very exciting!!
p.s. You have the best Customer Service Representatives on the Internet. They are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
Again, thank you for going the extra measure with quality, caring people!

October 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm
asirec

Will there be a detailed breakdown especially in regards to the British Isles? The British Isles is a real generalization, it would be nice to pinpoint where in the British Isles. When will the update occurr?

October 6, 2013 at 1:35 am
Chris

I’m so excited for this new update! Can’t wait! And I am really hoping you provide a way to separate maternal and paternal matches, if you have at least one parent tested. That has been such a great tool to use at 23andme!
So grateful for all the help your web-site provides with my genealogy help! Very Anxious to see these new results!

October 6, 2013 at 5:40 am
Chuck

I’m excited about this new update, and I’m hoping it will reveal the North American Indian(s) that is in both my paternal & maternal sides. Being on a fixed income, I’m thankful the new testing/results can be done using my 2 previous DNA tests. My wife is as excited as I am, as she had her DNA tested also! We can’t wait for the new results!

October 6, 2013 at 6:28 am
Bill - Georgia

Can’t wait! My test showed 67% Scandinavian….which was a total surprise….and 21% Southern European – another big surprise. Having a deeper breakdown will be wonderful.

October 6, 2013 at 6:50 am
Pamela

Thank you for continuing to upgrade DNA. Can’t wait – have many questions that hopefully will be answered from these compared to what we were told growing up.

October 6, 2013 at 7:04 am
Lynn

I’m excited to see what new results will reveal.

October 6, 2013 at 7:18 am
Loyd

On the one hand I’d like to see it rolled out ASAP. On the other hand all I’ve seen so far is a skeleton. I’ll withhold judgment until I see it with data (even fake data in the Beta version would be nice).

October 6, 2013 at 8:24 am
Dinorah

I can’t wait to have a more detailed report on my DNA…hopefully this new change is here soon!!!!

October 6, 2013 at 9:02 am
Ginny

I cant wait to see the new results. I keep checking everyday hoping it will be there.

I wish it would be mandatory for people taking the DNA test to have a family tree on ancestry

October 6, 2013 at 10:32 am
Dave S

I am eager for the refined DNA results. My original results did not agree that well with my paper trail ancestry, except for the high percentage of British Isles. But I don’t know of a single ancestor from Southern or Eastern Europe, as the DNA results claimed. As far as I know, my ancestors who did not come from British Isles came from Germany, Netherlands, France, Norway, i.e., Northern Europe.

I don’t know if it is possible, but it would sure be nice if there was a way to distinguish between “ancient ancestry” and relatively modern ancestry (say back to the beginning of “genealogical time” — about 1000 years) in the DNA results.

October 6, 2013 at 11:26 am
Ryan M

Thank you for working on the enhancements. I am also eager to explore my newly refined DNA results…. Ancestry really is building up the hype here and I hope the new experience lives up to the expectations. I am happy to see that AncestryDNA is incorporating concentration circles I think that makes it more transparent that our genetic signatures a range and can be found in lower concentrations outside specific geographical and/or political boundaries.

I do have to agree with Ginny above that there has to be a better work around with matches that have a private tree or no tree at all… Reaching out individually with no strong insurance that there may be a match is time consuming and cumbersome.

October 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm
Evelyn

I am extremely excited to see what the refined DNA testing can tell me!!

October 6, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Kyrrah Perry

I keep checking, I can’t wait!

October 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Victoria

Kudos and thank you for offering the Ancestry DNA analysis AND updates; I am looking forward to a bigger break down of Eastern Europe. To have a swath extending from Greece to Russia is too broad to narrow down searches especially if we do not have family lore directing our search. I am hopeful the Hungarian Magyar can be separated out as well if possible. Thanks again, this is really quite remarkable.

October 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm
Bob

While I am happy to see some expanded information that will be available I am unhappy that the testing is still only available in the States. I had my DNA tested thru 23andMe so I know it is possible to send the kits across the border !! As the majority of my family is in England I would sure like to see testing extended there as well.

October 6, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Kenneth Gruschow

Great! I’ve heard that through DNA one can get a percentage, if any, of Neanderthal DNA? Would be interesting and a change in what we were taught years ago!

October 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Larry

AncestryDNA needs to allow users to block people with private trees. It is in no way appropriate that these people benefit from others with out sharing their information in kind.

October 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Mark

I hope you guys research where in eastern Europe I hail from I am 56 percent Eastern European. Also I have Middle Eastern Ancestry and I hope Middle Eastern shows up on the update cant wait!!

October 6, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Evelyn

I hope that more can be found soon. The difference that was found between my first dna test and the second made absolutely no sense to me. My mda is predominately French and most likely native American.
but it came out 99% British Isles. Very confusing to me. Looking forward to the more advanced version

October 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm
william oneill

Hope the new test will help me. It is frustrating to have continued problems with my DNA samples

October 6, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Christine Dickson

96% British Isles, 4% Uncertain. A shock but fits with what I have found, a little more clarity in English, Irish, Scottish breakdown might be nice.

October 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm
LaMonte Woods

My questions go unanswered: how is Native American shown? Hopefully, this new program will answer this since your various “contact” sites have not.

October 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm
EVELYN BRADEN HUME

I don’t agree with Larry, youve only to ask if you want to see a PRIVATE TREE.

October 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm
Stephanie Stahlhut

I am very excited to hear about the update! I can’t wait to see how my results may change. I was given results of 86% Scandinavian(surprising) 7% Southern European (unexpected) and 7% uncertain (disappointing). I’ve seen other members with a much higher percentage of Uncertain ethnicity so I bet they will be thrilled to get a more in depth result.

October 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm
Carole

I was fortunate to be included in the preview of the new DNA results and thought some might like to see the difference. Some of you may have been included and not realized it, look at the top right corner of your DNA results page, for an orange button leading to the Preview.

Here’s the difference we saw:
Previously, a male in my family tested 68% British and 32% Eastern Euro. New results (so far) are…
49% European West (French/German), 33% Great Britain (does not include Ireland), 12% Scandinavian, 6 % Trace Regions. The Traces are: 3 % Finnish/Russia, 1% Italy/Greece, and <1% each of Iberian Peninsula (Spanish/Portuguese), Ireland, Eastern Europe.

I hope that helps, it just gives an idea of the difference in the refining.
However, it's a little disconcerting since he was raised to believe the family was Irish!
*smiles*

October 6, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Carole

Re: blocking private trees…
I think more people would share their trees if they were only visible to their DNA matches. As it stands, a public tree is just that, public to anyone who can access the site.
I have two tests in my account, one is open to the public and one is private; the private containing my mother’s maiden name, of course, which is still used for banking verification and security questions. I don’t want it easily accessible as public record.
If the system changes to allow us to have it seen *only* by our matches, I may unblock the second tree.

At least I would love the option of clicking on someone who is a close match, and offering to share my private tree if they agree to share theirs also. Tit for tat, so to speak! We both click OK and voila! We can see each other’s info. If they don’t agree, they can’t see mine.

October 6, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Teresa Lewis

I anxiously await this. I was one of the very early testers and was told that as time went along that our percentages would be refined but mine never have been. I’m hoping that these changes will affect everyone who has taken the test and not just new and recent testers. It’s disappointing that newer testers are reaping the results of the new enhancements but those of us who have been paying members for years are not benefitting. We should have been first!!!

October 6, 2013 at 10:52 pm
Wendy

I cannot fully express how excited I was to be a part of the preview. And I was very pleased to see the more defined areas in my DNA. My first results were good, not as defined as I had hoped. But with this new release, my results are more specific. My “uncertain” turned into trace regions, and they too were more specific. I am so grateful to the researchers who have made this possible. I feel this new result is definitely more accurate than my first results. Thank you Ancestry!

October 6, 2013 at 11:19 pm
Jim Reitz

This is good news. I need some clarification about the findings of my test. I look forward to the updates with more detail.

October 7, 2013 at 6:54 am
cathy

saaaaaaaaaaaweeeeeeet! Cant wait!!

October 7, 2013 at 8:11 am
Ryan M

I am very excited to see the improvements in admixture analysis.

I think an important part of the DNA Analysis experience is navigating and scoping out matches. I my opinion one major drawback is the volume of Private or No-tree matches. I agree with Larry above that it is inappropriate for users with private or no-trees to benefit from users who make their trees public…. What benefit is it to me to leave my tree public? While Evelyn above states, “you’ve only to ask if you want to see a public tree”, it’s still cumbersome and time-consuming to ask so many people one-by-one, she also doesn’t comment on the hassle-free insights she’s gained from other public trees. I think as far as AncestryDNA matches go… all public trees should be private from Private or No-tree AncestryDNA matches until a better solution is found.

I like Carole’s ideas above… where even private trees are still viewable to close AncestryDNA matches. OR at minimum having a easy share option that alerts both parties you’re wanting to share trees because you’re a match. Or better yet…. Be able to select multiple matches and send a share request all at once…. anything to make sharing easier! After all that’s why we’re all here to learn and share with each other.

October 7, 2013 at 9:27 am
Jo

After I took the ancestry.com DNA test for both my mother and myself, I was disappointed that there wasn’t more information. My family historian poo-poo’d my results and said that ’23 and me’ were the only ones giving valid results, so I took that one too. I like both for different reasons and am thrilled that finally ancestry.com is living up to their word of updating our results as new information and technology becomes available. I’m a long time active member who still loves her membership. It ain’t cheap, but keep giving me value for the bucks please.

October 7, 2013 at 11:28 am
Mark

please put British and Middle Eastern as my ethnicity because my ancestry is half from the Middle East and half from Great Britain.

October 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm
CaraMaeH

Let me echo those who have mentioned being disappointed that you have not rolled out testing beyond the United States.

Please make this a priority.

October 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Drumboogie

Let’s hope the revised ethnic ancestry takes the Greeks out of the Eastern European category and properly lumps them in with Southern Europe or SE Mediterranean.

I am 30% Sicilian and 12.5% Jewish, and the current ethnicity test offered by Ancestry is the ONLY one failing to pick up Southern European or Middle Eastern ancestry. Yet, I have Jewish and Sicilian relatives on this site. All of my SE Mediterranean (Sicilian and Jewish) is being picked up by Eastern Europe 30% and Persian 12%. This is HUGE problem and why I have not put to much stock in their current ethnicity test. It is the worst of the big 4 testing companies.

The over emphasized Scandinavian ancestry for people with British ancestry is also a red flag.

23andme still offers the best ethnicity test based on the last 500 years and is particularly informative if your of mixed ancestry. However, it does not offer people much information if you are 100% of one of the ethnic groups used as a proxie. An UPDATE is overdue!

DNA Tribes SNP test has been very accurate and informative for me, but their test lacks transparency of methods used and has not been peer reviewed.

Geno 2.0 is hard to judge because their ethnic test evaluates our genetic make up covering thousands of years, and lacks details and seems very generalized.

FTDNA is very disappointing! Their results are terribly ambiguous giving most individuals with mixed middle eastern ancestry a large margin of error without specifics. FTDNA was supposed to update their test about a year ago. I am STLL waiting. I think they finically strapped at the moment.

AncetryDNA Ethnicity test- Current test seems very off for both northern and southern Europeans. Scandinavian is being overestimated in Brits, and people with partial SE Mediterranean ethnicity (Sicilian, Jewish,) are not being picked up. The current model has the Greeks in the Eastern European category, and Sicilians are very similar to Greeks. So if you have Sicilian ancestry, you are most likely to be given a percentage of Eastern European and Persian and 0% Italian or Southern European.

GEDMatch- May be the winner as far as depth and variety of the results and ways to play around with them. Dienekes Dodecad and Davidski’s Eurogenes appear to be the most informative, but they are considered amateurs in the field, and none of their test have been scientifically reviewed.

October 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Carole

Re: Drumboogie,

Italy/Greece is now combined as a region. The information in the preview states the following:

“Italy/Greece

Primarily found in: Italy, Greece, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia

Also found in: France, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Romania, Turkey, Slovenia, Algeria, Tunisia

Genetic diversity in Italy/Greece

Like most of our identified regions, the Italy/Greece region is admixed, which means that when creating ethnicity estimates for people native to this region, we frequently see DNA from other nearby regions included. The typical person born in this region today has about 72% of his DNA unique to this region.”

My mother is half Italian (First Generation American, her father was Italian South, Calabrese) and we’ve had several cousin matches from the same small area in Calabria.

Her previous results stated 17% E Euro, 15% Southern Euro, 8% Middle Eastern, (as well as other regions associated with her mother).
Her new previewed results indicate 47% Italy/Greece, and no Eastern Euro, but she does have some Middle Eastern (Now called Caucasus: includes Israel, Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc.), Spanish (Iberian Peninsula) and trace regions.

But that should at least give you an idea of what to expect. Hopefully the wait will be short!
I’m happy with the new results.
As far as other testing companies, I have considered them but am concerned about my privacy and what they will be doing with my information.
I read about one of the companies using it to patent technology that would allow them to create designer babies, for example. I would not knowingly participate in that. It’s always a leap of faith but I trust Ancestry.com more than lesser known (to me) companies, to protect my info.

October 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Roger Evans

Hi:

I just received my Ancestry DNA results. It showed 75 Percent Central European, 12 Percent Finnish/Volga/Ural, 10 Percent British Isles and 03 Percent Uncertain.

My family tree is heavily documented. I have over 550 family members in my family tree. For almost all of them I have Birth, Marriage and Death Records. Obituaries and Headstones too along with Probate and Will records.

My family is largely made up of England, Wales, Ireland, France, Holland and German Ethnicity. I have original source documents to prove it.

I was approved for membership in the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution as a result of my research skills and ability to obtain copies of original government documents to prove my family lineage.

I have a total of 5 family members that are my grandfathers by direct bloodline that served in the American Revolution.

On my maternal family line, I can trace my family back to the William Almy and Audrey Barlow Family, the Carr Family of Rhode Island, the Greene Family of Rhode Island, the Hopkins Family of Rhode Island and the Whaley Family too.

From William Almy and Audrey Barlow I can trace to King Henry II of England (my grandfather), King Henry I and William the Conqueror.

I have no idea where the 12 Percent Finnish/Volga/Ural Ethnicity came from?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,

Roger Evans

October 8, 2013 at 1:48 am
alicia

I am extraordinarily disappointed in my results. Of course I am European I already knew that. The reason I signed up is to find matches. I have exactly ZERO matches. That is crazy to me because on another DNA result (natgeo) I have hundreds and hundreds. I was hoping for some matches here I could pair with my tree. What a waste of money.

October 8, 2013 at 6:57 am
tony

Exciting news!! I would like to be able to link this info. to whatever tree not just one, I have on ancestry.com. Since I did combined tests at the same time. I need to use 2 links.

October 8, 2013 at 7:19 am
Denise Ercole

Please add a trash can on the DNA Results homepage so we can delete trees without having to go to the individual page. Thanks!!

October 8, 2013 at 9:42 am
Jennifer Jacoby

I hope they will finally reconcile the discrepancies between my results and those of my parents. The ethnicity percentages between us do not add up, although they did recognize the parent-child relationships. I provided feedback, as encouraged, with details re: usernames, percentages, etc., but I did not received acknowledgement that my message was received on their end.

October 8, 2013 at 10:26 am
Trevor Thacker

Hi Alicia, Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. We’ll look into this and reach out to you shortly.

October 8, 2013 at 11:13 am
Trevor Thacker

Hi Jennifer, While you receive approximately 50% of your total DNA from each parent, due to genetic recombination you may (in theory) inherit anywhere from 0 – 50% of a specific ethnicity from either parent. This article explains further: http://ancstry.me/13E3nBS

October 8, 2013 at 11:25 am
Trevor Thacker

Roger, Sometimes ethnicity results may differ from what a person would expect based on their research. There are a few reasons why your ethnicity may not be exactly what you expected, which are explained here: http://ancstry.me/13E3nBS.

October 8, 2013 at 11:27 am
Trevor Thacker

We’ve been receiving great reviews of the new results and we think you’ll be pleased with the update. Stay tuned.

October 8, 2013 at 11:45 am
katherine

This is a bit off of the original topic but reading through the comments I felt compelled to respond… Just another view from one who has decided to keep their tree private for the time being. My tree was originally a public tree but I decided that it was in my best interest, as well as everyone else’s, not to make my tree public until I was positive that my information was correct. Why would I want to pass on incorrect information to someone that may possibly view my tree? In the past year, I have found multiple mistakes on my tree that I had gathered early on in my ancestry search a few years back (sometimes by viewing others trees and taking their word for it). I have since changed those mistakes but who knows how many people viewed my tree when that information was not accurate and used it to further their own. I have been learning over the past few years how to properly research my ancestry but I have known of some people that just get on here and look at their tree matches and take that persons word for it, whether they are correct or not. I was actually able to correct my tree in one area by asking another member with a private tree if I could view theirs. They kindly agreed, as would I if asked. So it is not that everyone who has chosen to keep their tree private is doing so to be selfish, it is that they (some- I can not speak for all) truly want their information to be correct before making it public. That is why I choose to keep my tree private for now. I will happily share with anyone that asks as long as they screen the information wisely and understand that if I dont have the documentation to back up my findings, it is not set in stone that the information shown is truth. My tree is a constant work in progress and I don’t want to add to the confusion of another if I am not confident that all of my information is correct.

Back on topic- Can’t wait to see the improvements!

October 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Nicholas Brady

Very excited for the results- I was not disappointed with my original results at all, in fact they led me further into reading about different groups of people and their migration patterns. I’ve heard more good things about the update so I’m looking forward to it!

October 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Debbie Corder

Any Good news for us done here in Australia ??????

October 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm
Olivia

Well, hi there Trevor. Maybe you could point me in the direction of an answer so that I might understand why seemingly 50% of my female ancestors were raped by Vikings.

No matter how I slice and dice my ancestry, 43% Scandinavian is way out of line. Surely we don’t have that many Vikings in the woodpile in my family. Either that, or we’re one monumental pack of liars.

On a more serious note, I do understand about the migration of people from one continent to another. And my knowledge of the different peoples of the British Isles is fairly comprehensive, having been an archaeologist in England. Having said that, I do know that the numbers I have do NOT add up. I cannot possibly have 42% Scandinavian and 36% British Isles, never mind that pesky 20% Eastern European and 2% uncertain DNA. That leaves absolutely no room for the other 50% of my make-up which you haven’t even hinted at nor alluded to. And I know darn well the Vikings didn’t make it that far south. Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark.

October 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Karen

Hi Roger,

I’m from one of those New England DAR / Mayflower families too. I have been chasing some of the “uncertain”, “South European”, and “Finnish/Volga/Ural” DNA that sometimes shows up unexpectedly. Here are some observations.

My 3% uncertain corresponds to the 3.03% I expected to see from Algonquian-speaking contact tribes (Delaware from the lower Hudson Valley in 1806 and Wampanoag from Cape Cod in the 1600′s) based on family reports and genealogical research. Note this is circumstantial evidence and not proof — there are no DNA records for these early contact tribes. We’ll see what the refined ethnicity assignments suggest.

My daughter has 12% “Finnish/Volga/Ural” (i.e., old central Eurasian) and no “Native American” reported in her profile; but we know she is 1/8 (12%) Choctaw from her dad’s side and there is no one in her tree from Finn/Volga/Ural area in historic times. Choctaw is another of the (originally) eastern tribes.

We know there was at least one circumpolar culture that spanned both sides of the North Atlantic. There’s increasing evidence that some of the eastern tribes may have come across the Atlantic and travelled down the North American coast.

So.. a Native American contribution? A Finnish or Russian sailor who jumped ship and changed their name? Other? Let us hear what you discover!

October 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Nicholas

Olivia, it could just be that there were a very small amount of people in your tree who were coupled with vikings, but that the genes remained extremely prevailant down the line to you. So despite the fact that this small group of people were the only ones in your tree to come in contact with viking men, the genes may have stuck in the blood for many many generations. Take into consideration that the descendants would likely not identify themselves as being scandanavian and would probably be alligned with the country they were born in. So let’s say John X was born 1100, his mom was an english woman and his father was a viking who was no longer present. He would identify himself as English and have an English name. One would never know he had viking blood.

October 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Drumboogie

@Carole,

Thanks for the update! Putting the Greeks with the Italians makes more sense. This is how 23andme groups them as well.

My Italian may finally show up now! LOL!

However, I worry about the lack of Sicilian reference groups. We know from other genetic studies that Sicilians are genetically closer to Ashkenazi Jews than they are to Northern Italians and Tuscans.

23andMe has a big enough Sicilian customer database with all 4 grandparents born in Sicily to use as a reference population. That was the key element for 23andme in nailing my 30% Sicilian heritage.

October 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Lloyd Marvin McCune

I have taken the DNA test will this new information tell if there is any Native American DNA and will this be any clearer as to where the DNA genes are from?

October 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm
Bob G

Regarding the private trees, perhaps we should all go private and equally benefit. Reminds me of the parable where no one will give up a stick to make a fire and all freeze to death. I personally don’t see the need to privatize my tree. All one needs to do is leave a few generations of names blank to have the same effect. I am very pleased with the preview results that Ancestry made available to me. My first results were 87% Central European, 7% Scandinavian and 6% uncertain. These did not make much sense as there should have been some 50% Great Britain. The new results show 56% Great Britain, 13% Italy/Greece, 12% Western European, 8% Scandinavian, 4% Ireland, 4% Iberian Peninsula, 2% South Asian?? and 1% Finnish/Northern Russian make much more sense given that my mothers side was Norman and Viking British/Scottish/Welsh and Irish. This line is well researched and quite extensive. My father side only goes back to the 1700s. They were known to be Black Forest German hillbillies and thought to also be Austrian. This is where the new results are REALLY interesting to me. The Austrian line was thought by family tradition to have a Spanish ancestor from a war whose name presently escapes me (results show 4% Iberian Peninsula, perhaps a Spaniard really did stay in western Austria). Part of this Austrian line came from Bozen Austria who we thought were Germanic. This area of Tyrol is shared with Italy, perhaps the line was not Germanic but actually Italian, hence the 13% Italy/Greece. There was also a Brit named Jenny who showed in Rankweil Austria in the late 1700s. He may have come by way of India (results show 2% South Asia). The rest of the Austrians were Hillbillies and most likely never strayed far from Rankweil. All in all I am very pleased with Ancestry’s DNA testing and results presented. I wish something could be done with the private trees. As someone suggested above, make the public trees private to those with private trees. Then the burden to reach out for permission to access anothers tree would be equally shared and not totally one sided as it now.
Bob

October 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm
Bob G

I just tried to contact 3 different private members who have a 96% chance of sharing an ancestor with me. Could not get the message to send. Oh well…
Bob G.

October 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Brenda K

I was very, very disappointed with the results from Ancestry. The information send was already established by a different DNA program. This program went back over 5,000 years to the Western Steppe on my father’s side of the family. There was absolutely nothing on my mother’s side from Ancestry (this area included England, Ireland, Scotland and 100% from Sweden. Even your maps did not provide this information. I look forward to some improvements.

October 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Greg B

Like everyone else, back when I had my test done over a year ago, it was very surprising. A lot of people need to really read the descriptions that Ancestry has put online to understand what they get. When people are saying things like my child’s father had say 10% of a certain ethnicity in him and the child has none of it… well, as explained, you get approx. 50% Random DNA from each parent, which means that child might not get any of that 10%! It’s all passed down the same way.. one can have a huge ethnic percentage that kept getting passed all the way back to some totally unknown place that does not ever show on your tree – everyone must keep that in mind! And people did migrate further than a lot of people may want to believe, whether historically written or not.
I am very very excited to see the updates when mine are available!

October 8, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Richard Berkowitz

I agree with the people who said we should block users who have a private tree from looking at ours. Why in heavens name would you join a site to find your ancestors and then put a block on it. Did it ever occur to those people that you might be blocking your relatives from viewing your own tree. DUH!

October 9, 2013 at 5:24 am
Chad Walker

I’m checking for the refined DNA results multiple times daily and hope my wait is not a long one. Kudos to ancestry.com for your excellent customer service. I’ve been a loyal customer for several years and intend to remain so for a very long time.

October 9, 2013 at 6:11 am
heather Stanecki

Can’t wait until this is released!!! When is the estimated drop date? I am SO excited! There are some questions I’m hoping can be answered with this new update!

October 9, 2013 at 6:21 am
Pamela

Glad to hear many others were surprised with their DNA results from previous tests!!!! It sure came as a surprise to us – most was 41% Scandinavian which we didn’t know we had. We also grew up being told we were part Cherokee from our father’s side and nothing showed up. Will the new tests also indicate which ethnic percentages are from either our maternal or paternal side? Would help a lot.

October 9, 2013 at 7:19 am
Eric

What’s the purpose of having an account with Ancestry.com if you are going to make you tree private? The purpose is to find other possible family members/ancestors. Why are you looking for family members/ancestors if you want to stay private? If you are just interested in your ethnicity, then I understand that and that means you should NOT be searching and being nosy in other members family tree…. “Since you’er just interested in your ethnicity”. Nobody’s asking for your ss#, your home #, your work location etc…. STOP being so selfish people. Let’s help one another if we can. Think about those who could be facing family questions that they never received an answer to growing up as a kid, so for us to have this type of technology that could possibly give answers is AMAZING. Therefore if you have a family tree, PLEASE welcome others… it might be your cousin you never knew about.

October 9, 2013 at 8:24 am
Laura Chalberg

I am about to put my DNA test in the mail. After reading all these comments – I do have one about private trees. I am not selfish. ANY relative that asks is made a guest on my tree. Like several others on this page, I am constantly adding and correcting information. I do NOT want misinformation that may be on my tree to spread. There is plenty of wrong information out there that just keeps being passed along like a bad virus. By making my tree private, I am putting on a surgical mask to try and keep the germs I have from spreading. If we both wash our hands first, etc……, I love to “talk” and share our kinfolk information. So yes, I would prefer that I not get your misinformation germs, but my private tree is about making you think first and put on your mask before getting information that might have germs from mine. OK, this is a clumsy analogy, but I hope it is sound.

October 9, 2013 at 10:32 am
Drumboogie

When is this going to be rolled out to the rest of the customers?

October 9, 2013 at 11:00 am
researcher1993

I am also irritated by private trees. It’s almost like the private tree owners are cherry picking who they want to share with. Are they only interested in famous/wealthy relatives? Are they trying to keep away relatives born out of wedlock? If you are keeping it private because you are not sure about accuracy, then don’t include info in your tree if its not accurate! Keep the records in your shoebox until you verify its accurate. I’m excited to see how close AncestryDNA comes to my 23AndMe results. Ancestry currently says I have 15% British, 23andme says 1.2% British. Lets see if that changes. I also agree that FTDNA has a poor ethnicity breakdown. I also with ancestryDNA would offer refined haplogroup predictions like FTDNA does. Ancestry classified me as I2a but FTDNA has refined it to I2a2-M423. And when is this going live?

October 9, 2013 at 11:33 am
Leslee Dasher

When is the updating to happen? I was disappointed in the results. So vague. Eastern European? Does this mean Greek or Latvian? Central Europe makes me German or French? It was really no help and I didn’t recommend this test to anyone. I hope it gets better.

October 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm
Rachel S

I am eagerly awaiting the new results too– do we know when it will be available to everyone??

Thanks!

October 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Matthew L

Great! When, though? I’ve been checking my DNA results three times a day since this was announced. Is it going to be days, weeks, months?

For those of you who are impatient, you can always run your raw DNA data from Ancestry through different databases. GEDMatch has a few admixture programs like the MDLP and Eurogenes. Running my data through that has told me more than the vague Central European and Scandinavian.

October 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm
Velma Joyce Culver

I agree with several of the others that the open trees should be blocked to the private tree people. When I first got my matches, I emailed many, many private tree people and got less than a 10% answering, and some of them said no. I quit asking. If they want to check a match, they will have to email me.

I am thrilled with the new potential refinement, and am very happy with what I received, but hope to be even happier with the new release. :) You guys have done a superb job!!

I had it happen with a matched cousin, hers was private, mine is open–
She took everything she wanted from mine, and due to a misunderstanding about what I had on my tree (I do not put living people on it unless need to do a link, and use only years, not whole date) She didn’t believe me, so locked her tree again.

Oh well, live and learn. Looking forward to the new releases!!

October 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Bob G

To those with private trees who are private because they might have errors in their tree. To say that you have every name documented is nice but one can never prove for certain that documented names are correctly identified. I consider any tree posted on Ancestry as a potential path to ancestors in the past and nothing more. We never know for certain who the fathers are on each paternal line. A father can be documented by marriage, census records and birth records but one never is absolutely certain is he is the actual father. Only the mother shown on a birth certificate is a certain parent (assuming that baby is not inadvertently switched at birth). Paternal lines can be given some validity through DNA results that show the common ancestor through different lines assuming that the common ancestor identified is the one who’s DNA legacy is what shows in the test results and not from some unidentified line.
Any green leaf suggested is a suggestion to a potential ancestor at best. One then must do their own due diligence to prove the line as best they can. This is one reason why people join various lineage societies as proof of descent must meet best genealogical standards. To say that you don’t want to share you mistakes is somewhat innocent or perhaps naive. We must all do our best due diligence rove each and every member in a tree shown as best we can. Your private tree made public is only a potential path back that might provide insight to others as to where to look for proof. That said, if one is more comfortable keeping their tree private, then keep it private. I myself would just like to have the option of keeping private tree owners from looking at my public tree. Quid pro quo.

October 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm
Hope for Ancestry DNA Testing??? | Old Bones Genealogy of New England

[...] title of their blog is “Coming Soon – Ancestry DNA is Evolving“.  So I’ll post this for the benefit of those who have paid the piper and came back [...]

October 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm
Carolyn Olson

I am one of those upset with the private tree people. I made my tree public so I could connect with other possible family members. I try my hardest to verify everything I put in my tree but know that I will make some mistakes. That is one of the valuable tools that can be used….if another member sees the mistake..do as I have done. Contact the other member and work to get the right information posted. Both parties benefit. You might also leave a comment on an individuals record. Many ways to help one another. Keeping trees private helps no one.

Kudos to the Ancestry DNA team for the coming upgrades as well as making this test available to us through Ancestry. I was very surprised to see my DNA results listing 45% Scandinavian. All my life I was told I was mostly German (mother’s side) Back to the drawing board!!

October 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Janis Keller

Im so excited!!! I really hope the 3 percent that I dont know about my ancestry is revealed. I agree with Carolyn that people that make their trees private is not helping anyone. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do that. What are they hiding? Its borderline selfish, in my opinion.

October 10, 2013 at 3:57 am
researcher1993

since “Commenting is open until Wednesday, 16 October 2013″, I bet this is the date they go live with the update.

October 10, 2013 at 6:50 am
Marsha Kastelic

I also am looking forward to seeing the new results and also hope people understand how dna is correct and paper trails with documentation may not be. What I would like to see on the results page is when a name comes up there is a mark next to their name saying they have a private tree because I am tired of clicking on names to find I can’t see them. Then it would be my decision to decide if I want to bother. I want to look first at those with public trees with a minimum of 30 names. The reason I say 30 names is there are a lot of private trees with a public tree with only a couple of names and I wonder why they do that.

October 10, 2013 at 9:35 am
Faye Wilbur Silliman

WONDERFUL….

October 10, 2013 at 11:56 am
Olivia

@ Researcher1993. Nah. They keep moving that date and eliminating all the comments that came before. The first date I noticed was some time in September. When that data rolled around the only thing that happened was that all the old comments disappeared and they started up a new comment list from scratch.

October 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Trevor Thacker

Hi Olivia, Our previous blog entry from last month is still available, along with the comments it generated. It can be found here: http://ancstry.me/1ebJ6oe

October 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Janis Jones

I am also excited about my results. When I saw my cousins, I was amazed. I did not know I had so many Cajun cousins!
I also think like someone mentioned above. If you are not sure about who is in your family tree, dont put them in there. Put them in the shoebox.
I too think that people keeping their trees private should not be able to see the public trees. I have been trying to find the parents of my 4th great grandmother and when I did a search for her I found that she was in one of my cousins tree. Of course, that cousin did not respond to my plea to see her tree. Its frustrating.

October 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm
Robin Warenski

How will we be notified of the new results? By email or should we just keep checking our DNA page?

October 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Flecia Armstrong

I am really excited about the new update and am looking forward to seeing the refined results, especially if the “uncertain” portion is clarified.

I have to agree with what many others have said above–those with their family trees set to private should not be able to see public trees. I personally have had information taken from my public tree by some people with private trees who then ignored my request to share information. It’s a frustrating situation when that happens.

October 10, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Michele.

I’m interested to see what changes will be made. I believe that there are other ethnicities in my tree than are mentioned. My results showed:
41% Central European, 33% Southern European, and 26% Middle Eastern. Mostly these results are NOT new to me. I already new my Italian, Spanish (Spain), and possible Middle Eastern roots. According to family sources, we have French in us which would attest to the Central Euro background, however, that could also be other countries (which according to ancestry.com consist of: France, Germany, Slovenia, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Belgium and Netherlands. I tend to believe that it’s France. However, during discovery of one of my maternal surnames, I discovered that this particular surname were peoples who in the 15th century emigrated from Albania. My results do not show Albania. I think this is an error. Another thing I am hoping to find out at some point as Ancestry develops this product is my possible Scottish heritage. I feel a strong connection to Scottish things. My father told me that we have Spanish Royal Monarch ancestry, and I know that the Scots married the Spanish as well. *sigh* yea so much to research. But this is so exciting to me! Another thing that is frustrating to me is the fact that the 2 definite matches I’ve contacted 2 times each and they have not responded to my request for connecting on ancestry.com and yet their activity shows the logged in after I contacted them. The current method of looking up the trees I also find to be very tedious. However because I feel that Ancestry.comDNA is a valuable tool due to many subscribers and I am sure that more will jump on the bandwagon as word gets out. We’ll see how it all plays out. Trevor if you can answer any of my statements, please feel free to do so. Thank you.

October 10, 2013 at 11:51 pm
Colette Walls

I am disappointed with what I found out from my brother’s test. I have a hard time understanding how I could have spent so much money and still not received what our haplogroups are. I sent an email to ancestry.com about this and received no reply.

October 11, 2013 at 5:01 am
researcher1993

@olivia, thank’s for the heads up. you are on the ball.

October 11, 2013 at 6:52 am
Drumboogie

I am not one of the lucky 6,000 customers selected for beta testing for the new ethnicity test 2.0.

Does anyone know what particular sample groups are represented in the

Near East?
Caucasus?
North Africa?
East Europe?

October 11, 2013 at 7:50 am
Trevor Thacker

Robin, You will receive an email notifying you that the AncestryDNA update is available.

October 11, 2013 at 8:06 am
Billy Howell

I can’t wait!!! I’m always so excited to see expanded DNA features!

October 11, 2013 at 8:41 am
Suzette Burnworth

I have done several different types of DNA tests, using 3 different testing facilities. All claim to update the results for free, as more information becomes available. I must compliment Ancestry, as you are the ONLY company who has followed through with this promise. Thank you!
I am hoping that my updated results will clarify my “”uncertain” results, and show my Native American and Ashkenazi ancestry :)
Thank you, again!

October 11, 2013 at 9:50 am
Allen Chambers

My original DNA result of 100% British Isles just doesn’t jive with some of the info i have found. I have Dutch ancestry on my mother’s side. It’s been traced from Holland to First landing in what was then New Amsterdam in the mid 1600s. Some of that info i got from this very site. What are the chances that somehow my results were either flawed or misinterpreted?

October 11, 2013 at 11:21 am
Kate

I am back to the 1500s on my tree and know a lot of my ethnicity. In the first distribution of ethnicity I was 92% Scandinavian. I thought that was ridiculous but then I researched more on my tree and found that my Irish ancestors were probably Norman (Scandinavian) and that most of my English ancestors were from northern England (those pesky Vikings) so I was beginning to understand the Scandinavian. Now I got the update and it shows 3% Scandinavian.
I know for a fact that I am 1/8 German and yes I do look like that ggrandfather but this shows no German. I know that I am part Swiss, that doesn’t show.
I am afraid that I think this is a lot of hooey.

October 11, 2013 at 11:36 am
Edward Coronado

Well, I certainly hope the revised results are not so ridiculously out of line. The only thing that was correct was my American Indian line. British Isles! Give me a break! Going back five generations there are only Spanish and Indian ancestors. I can see my Spanish ancestors being European paleolithic and perhaps some German from the Visigoth invaders. I am curious to see if it matches more closely to the results on GEDMatch. I can’t wait to see the results.

October 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Mark Sean

When will the Update be finished?

October 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Mark Robinson

I have done Y-46, mtDNA, and the newest AncestryDNA tests. So far, I haven’t found any 3rd or better cousins. I hope to find out more with the new information.

October 12, 2013 at 5:51 am
Mark Russell

I have to say, at first, I was excited to hear about the update but a little disappointed that I wasn’t one of the “guinea pigs”….but still excited.

Now, a month later, I’m just bored of it all. The excitement is pretty much gone. I think the roll out of this update has been just a bit too long.

Mark Robinson, I haven’t had a 3rd or better cousin match either. Some people say it’s because I’m younger (early 30s) – and that older people tend to get closer matches since they’re further back in time so to speak.

October 12, 2013 at 7:27 am
Ginny

I wish you would give us a update to when this will be launched out to everyone

October 12, 2013 at 9:00 am
Flecia Armstrong

Mark Robinson, I’ve had two 3rd cousin matches out of 79 pages. My husband has almost double the amount of pages from his test but no 3rd cousin or higher matches yet.

People interested in genealogy will pony up $100 for a DNA test if they can afford it, whereas other people would never consider it. The resulting matches you get are only taken from the pool of those people stepping forward. Personally I’m looking for matches higher than 3rd cousin, but I know it’s like playing the lottery–maybe one day I’ll get lucky.

October 12, 2013 at 9:33 am
ResearcherHere

When !?!? :)

October 12, 2013 at 10:04 am
ResearcherHere

I also had 23&me sequence my information and received a very much more detailed report from them, surprisingly. (Of course, they do hedge by giving you a low-risk, medium-risk, and high-risk guess as far as matches.) In two of those there are some Southern Europeans in the woodpile, in all of them there are people from outside the British Isles. Ok, so I’m guessing maybe as far back as a Roman in there…. but my Ancestry results can only tell me the info passed down by my mother’s side (my being female), and so they’ve got me 98% British Isles and 2% Unknown. I’d really like to know the “Unknown”… and assume the Romans or whomever were on my paternal line. Any chance Ancestry is going to broaden out their sequencing tools for those of us who, so far, can only do the mtDNA test with Ancestry?

October 12, 2013 at 10:09 am
ResearcherHere

Just a thought for those of you complaining about “private” trees. I keep my tree private, but have NEVER turned down a request for information from anyone who has written me a coherent note explaining who they are and what they hope to find from my information. I have been doing research for forty-plus years, and signed up for Ancestry because of the database resources it has. I rarely search through trees – primarily because so very many of them are badly done and do not cite sources properly. (Blindly clicking the leaves and accepting the information there at face value and re-copying from sourceless tress seems to be a common theme.)

You might want to consider that just because someone may want to find their ancestors does not necessarily mean they want to be in contact with every living relative (however close or distant) that they have at present, or to splash private information around on the Internet. My tree is not built for anyone other than my family and my descendants. However, should you find info in it in a search that is of interest to you, by all means give me a PM and let me know. I’ll gladly share my sources with you. Otherwise, my family’s tree, which also contains very detailed information about medical issues and personal matters, will remain private. I would have no problem with everyone’s tree being private, if that was their preference. If someone chooses to search and there’s a “hit” in a private tree, there’s also a “PM” option.

Also remember, if someone provides info to you that they have found by their own research, it’s as a courtesy to you. A “thank you” is in order, as they don’t owe it to you to share the results of their work just because you want the information. I have been very pleased to have met several individuals who have provided me with info and have made some good contacts through Ancestry, and have been able to connect a several relatives with solid information that helped their own research.

So, just realize, there are other ways of thinking about genealogy than yours.

October 12, 2013 at 10:49 am
Kim

I, too, would like my DNA results blocked from people with private trees; additionally, I would like my results blocked from people with no trees. People who wish to keep their trees private have a perfect right to do so, whatever the reason. But my time and the money I spent on the Ancestry DNA test is wasted when I look at my DNA match results, and those results are overloaded with private trees and no trees. Please neither notify me of these matches nor notify the those with private/no trees of their match to me.

October 12, 2013 at 11:58 am
Flecia Armstrong

ResearcherHere, the Ancestry DNA test gives results from both maternal and paternal sides of the family regardless if you’re female. From their page discussing the test:

“One advantage the new AncestryDNA test has is that it is not gender specific. Anyone can take the test to get results for both branches of their tree. If you happen to be from a family that has no male family members besides your father, or no living male family members available to take a Y-DNA test, you no longer have to seek out a male cousin to take a test in order to get results for the paternal side of your family. The autosomal test matches based off of over 700,000 markers from your entire genome, making sure you are able to see all potential matches within the past few generations (considered the genealogically relevant time period).”

October 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Cary

About the members/matches with locked trees: I, too, get lots of matches with locked trees, and some of them are in the 95%-96% certainty range and do not respond to requests to share trees or information.

Ancestry charges a monthly subscription fee to us as well as a DNA testing fee. The only things we get in return are a list of matches (often just acronyms and nicknames) and of course our “ethic” breakdown. The only benefit from testing at Ancestry is that we conceivably can look at our matches’ trees and try to figure out our common ancestor. Ancestry does not offer chromosome-by-chromosome visibility or segment-length size like the other DNA services, so this is all they have to offer.

If our matches lock their trees, we — the paying users — get nothing in return for the fees we pay to Ancestry. Therefore Ancestry is not delivering on its promised services and we’re getting nothing in return for our money: $99 for the test, plus monthly subscription fees.

Ancestry needs to do something about the increasing number of null results it delivers to us: matches with no trees, matches with locked trees, matches with just one anonymous name in a tree, etc. Otherwise it’s just setting itself up for litigation.

This could be done by:
1) Not delivering results to Ancestry testers unless they unlock their tree
2) Allowing users who do share trees to selectively block their matches who have locked trees, no trees, or trees with just one or two “private” individuals in them
3) Sharing other data on each match, regardless of whether they have a shared tree or not: which chromosome they share DNA on, how many chromosomes they share on, number of SNPs, etc…just like the other services provide.

October 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm
Eric

Ecited about the coming new update like everyone else

October 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Mark

Please may you hurry up I cant wait.

October 12, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Luis

I received my results two days ago and what caught my attention was the large % of people who only have initials or some other mysterious name, acronym or nickname. Also, a lot of these are managed by other people who also only have non-names, just initials or some other type of nicks. Besides that, a large number of NULL, I have no idea what NULL means, but I see there’s no information. If I want to look at a tree that has a lot of names, I have to pay for it. Then there are all of those private trees and, since I’m new, I don’t feel comfortable writing to those people asking to share their info with me. For the fees they ask, Ancestry really does not offer that much. I have not paid anything yet, except the $99 for their test.

October 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm
Bob G.

Trevor, I’m getting a lot of Nulls too. Is there a bug in the program?

Luis, you’ll get the best results if you fill out your tree as best you can so that the program can show common names that you have with others which might shed some light on the path of your lineage. This DNA program is a powerful tool but you need to do some leg work to make it work for you. You need to have some idea of what names you are looking for.
People use initials, acronyms, nicknames or other mysterious names as a way to hide there identity. I suggest that you do the same. Don’t worry about asking those with private trees to share info with you. They are your cousins after all and hopefully will be willing to help you.
best of luck
Bob

October 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Greg B

As far as I am aware, all living persons on all trees (to protect the living) are automatically blocked as private when you have public trees(don’t think you can change that either). Most people that I have matched with a recent common ancestor are the ones with hints and from 4th cousins to 8th cousins. The hint leaf on the DNA was the best option they have added as that is only way I check now and it saves lots of time! The ethnicity part doesn’t seem to help much as almost all my matches that are real, have totally different ethnic DNA (do to marriages on down, mostly). I will not ask or email a private tree if there is no leaf hint.. most likely that is a waste of time the way I see it as it always ends up as no leaf hint, no match!

October 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Carole

To those seeing Null…that response is a bug, it happened a few weeks ago, was fixed, and is now happening again. Close the window and open it again. The second or third time you will get a name. It’s annoying.
Click the feedback button and let them know when this happens. The more feedback the more they will pay attention and fix it.

Nicknames and initials are to protect an individual’s privacy, I have no problem with that.
But I’ve given up writing and begging for people to share info. 9 out of 10 don’t even respond, and of those that do, I sometimes get the run-around. One 96% confidence 4th cousin told me her updated tree isn’t on Ancestry, and to write her by email. I did so and she only shared one branch of her tree, then disappeared. I don’t know why people pay to take the test and then don’t participate. Perhaps it isn’t selfishness but ignorance of all they’re missing by doing so.

Re: Drumboogie’s request for more info,
I don’t think Ancestry wants me copying and pasting all their ethnicity descriptions on the blog, I was locked out of responding for a couple of days (or maybe that has to do with the browser not working? Don’t want to push it.). I’d PM you if that option were available, but it isn’t.

Personally I think they should stop dangling the carrot and open it up to everyone. But I guess if it were a simple thing to do you all wouldn’t still be waiting.

October 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Carole

Greg B.,
You are saving a lot of time, but also missing a lot of matches and potentially helpful hints.
The leaf only appears when both people have the exact ancestor listed in their trees, and as all software, it isn’t 100% foolproof.

I had a couple of exact matches where I looked at their tree, recognized another descendant of one of my ggg+ grandfathers, and shared the info with them. One of them added the missing ancestors and now we have the shaking leaf. The other didn’t respond, she had a headache. That was a month ago.
Out of several pages of matches that I’ve starred, only a small amount have the “shaking leaf” exact match found by the system.

October 12, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Luis

Thanks to Graig B. and Carole for the information/suggestions. This NULL bug continues to bug me without mercy almost every time I click on a name. I have to click on it a lot of times until the info finally comes up. Where is the feedback button?

October 13, 2013 at 1:22 am
Luis

Sorry I misspelled a name. I meant to write Greg not Graig.

October 13, 2013 at 1:24 am
Kirk

Be specific in your communication.

Please specify a date. “Coming Soon – AncestryDNA is Evolving” is a poor vehicle for deriving customer satisfaction. Of course it is coming soon — but what does soon mean. Delight your customers. Don’t keep us guessing. It wastes our time and yours.

Be specific in your communication.

October 13, 2013 at 7:02 am
Carly

Stay tuned? It’s been “coming soon” for 10 days.

October 13, 2013 at 9:26 am
John

I find it extremely interesting that an article discussing upcoming changes in ethnicity results for our DNA tests has turned into a discussion on private trees. Currently of the 126 comments, there are 25 comments on private trees. That is close to 20%. Houston we have a problem! Why is Trevor Thacker of ancestry remaining silent on this issue? I agree with ancestry users who are frustrated with private trees. I am using the ancestry DNA test to research my ancestors and therefore, I need to know the ancestors of my DNA matches.

Those of us with public trees need to be able to block ancestry users with private trees. That option should be given to us right away. This is a problem that ancestry needs to resolve and not one for them to continue to ignore.

October 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Joe A

I have to agree with Carly, it is starting to get annoying that there is no launch date, ‘coming soon’ could be next year. I do appreciate the people who commented about what the new results will be, that is helpful.

I also have a comment about Private Tree, when I see they are a match in DNA page, I delete, do not waste my time sending an E-Mail.

October 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Mark

When does it come out????

October 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm
Luis

One thing I’ve noticed is that sometimes you can not even tell the gender of some of your matches, as there is no F or M by their names and no haplogroups. Sometimes it’s obvious it’s a male or female, but not all the time. This becomes more of a problem if there is no tree or if it’s private. In those cases, even looking at their autosomal results does not help that much about hint to their nationalities. I’ve seen what later turned out to be Hispanic people having Scandinavian and Volga-Uralic, plus Turkish-Persian-Caucasus listed among their ancestral populations, along with the percentages. So if someone is anonymous, has a private tree and their nick does not tell us their gender, we have no way of knowing anything about these matches, unless we write to them and they agree to provide some information, which is not automatic. But I guess that’s the way it is.

October 13, 2013 at 4:25 pm
Brandon Nobles

I believe there is a lot of confusion about what an autosomal test actually does, hence why many are disappointed about their results.
It calculates your ethnic heritage per your genome. Of course you inherited different genes from different ancestors, so of course this would throw the whole test off. Siblings could have vastly different ethnic percentages because they inherited different genes from certain ancestors.

For example, I am only a 1/16th Norwegian. However, my test came back at 27%. So, I find two reasons for this. One, the Viking blood via my British Isles heritage is showing up in a great percentage, or my half-Norwegian great grandfather passed a great number of his genes to me (I look almost just like him).

This could be different with my sisters of course. We look just like my father in terms of facial characteristics, but they have black hair and dark complexions which definitely reflect my mother’s Metis heritage. I have a five percent unknown (My mother is documented at about 16%) which I assuming is my Native blood, but just like my Norwegian ethnicity above, my sisters would most likely show a greater amount of ethnic percentage via Native American ancestry.

October 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm
John Wilson

I am deaf. I can’t wait close relative, first, second, third, cousin new looks on Ancestry DNA. I am adopted were born in Bronx,New York 1971 then moved to Newark,New Jersey living with adoptive parents then one foster mother. Just “Foundling” brown bag at police in Bronx,New York. My adoptive gave me full names . God will lead me right direct search my birth family as soon possible God’s will..

October 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm
PA

I can’t wait for my new results my dna test are 73% West African, 17% British Isles and 10% uncertain. My brother’s results were 78% West African, 10% British Isles, 6% Finnish/Volga-Ural and 6% uncertain. I would like more info and I’m hope the new enhancements will give me that.

October 14, 2013 at 1:13 am
Charlene Hall

I will love the new additions, but unfortunately, I just received my results, and my hints do not work, I cannot click on names on matches trees without receiving a Surname Null, and also several other glitches, so my question would be, why wouldn’t you resolve the issues you have with the matches pages before trying to update it? I do appreciate the matches, but after being so excited about the results, now I have to wait for my pages to be fixed, and was told it will be a couple of weeks.

October 14, 2013 at 7:04 am
Charlene Hall

I also feel you should include a tutorial with the results, so that you know how to work around the pages, this just makes sense, I finally had one emailed to me after calling ancestry, and the one that was sent to me was out of date, the match pages no longer look that way, they had a sliding relationship thing or something. If you read the comments above, there are several people having the same problems I am having, and they do not even realize that these are glitches and not the norm, the surname Null is a glitch, and I have many matches with matching surnames and I have no hints, not to mention that the matching surnames do not give all of the matching surnames, and I thought that I had a search box to search for matching surnames?

October 14, 2013 at 7:17 am
Luis

Yes, they should definitely fix that Surname Null glitch. It gets very tiresome having to click on a name up to six times before seeing any information. I still have not taken a close look at all of my matches, as most of them seem rather distant. I have 17 pages, most people have far more pages, but I doubt they have more relevant information. I’m just starting, having received my results just 4 days ago and perhaps I should no be that judgmental and give Ancestry the benefit of the doubt. But I do feel I’m alone trying to decipher this maze, as there are very few helping tips.

October 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm
Terri DeGeest

Is there anyway I can request my updates sooner? I’m excited about get new information! How can I get on the preview list?

October 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Kelly Flowe

I am a little disappointed, i did my mother DNA and to-date I have no matches. I guess I was expecting a little more the first time around. I am also excited to see if the update will provide more details.

QUESTION: The DNA that Ancestry is matching with my mother DNA, how far back does this DNA goes?

October 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm
annitajfulton

I was so anxious to hear about my Native American DNA from the testing, but of course it was not there. My GGGrandfather was full Cherokee and I know that several of my great or great grandparents had some NA blood. My Great Uncle and my Dad looked for many years before access to computers, to research this part of our family history, with little success. This is why it’s so important to me – I just want to know. Is there any way to break this down? I’d sure like to find an answer.

October 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm
Delores

Are you sharing this information to insurance companies? why are you releasing info about the family relationships in your research too. When I signed up for this, I cannot consent to give info for other people in my tree. What’s up with that?

October 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Tamara Wagner

I can’t wait. I must say I am suprized by some of my results, but 86% of me is British isles. Well that narrows it down. It leaves me with more questions than answers and is too vague. I look forward to when we get to see the new stuff. When will we know?

October 14, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Jeff Hanna

I hope that the new results will be accurate. The one I have is very generic, which I have noticed that the majority of other members have almost the same results. I have a lot of Native American ancestry in my family, which I have traced. I along with my family was shocked and it was a very big disappointment when I received the results. I have several other family members who had their DNA done through DNA Spectrum, and the results were all great and accurate. It amazes me how many family members they found. I was also amazed that they all showed the Native American DNA, yet the Ancestry.com DNA results did not even show any. I am really looking forward to the updated results, I just hope it goes deep or even deeper than DNA Spectrum. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

October 15, 2013 at 12:01 am
Carly

127 John – I’ve had great success messaging people with private trees to say, hey, I see we have a match already- can you either tell me what this match is or share your tree with me? Usually it takes a little while, but that’s OK.

I inherited a tree started by another family member and I’m working on proving & sourcing given information and updating what I’ve found to be false. The tree is private because I have seen how people just copy & paste results regardless of sources and I do not want someone spreading what could be misinformation. Most of the trees I’ve seen that come up as suggested hints for matching ancestors have zero sources noted, conflicting details, and nothing more than a few census reports. People copy this information over and use it like it’s fact.

October 15, 2013 at 1:28 am
Bob G

143 Carly – sometimes all we have is a family rumor of a name. It may be right it may be wrong. That is still better than nothing for another researcher as they have a name to check and in many cases, collaborating with others, verify. I accept nothing that I see on Ancestry as FACT. I do however appreciate what those with private trees present as it gives me a path forward. It appears that you’d agree with many above that those with private trees should not have access to public trees because the public trees offer you nothing anyway as they are mostly likely riddled with mistakes.

October 15, 2013 at 5:12 am
Steve

Looking forward to this…. I don’t believe the “100% British Isles” I received in my results is accurate. I have documented English, German, Native American, Dutch and 99% sure of Scottish descent. Granted most of my ethnicity should be “British Isles”, it should not be 100%. This update should prove interesting.

October 15, 2013 at 9:28 am
Scott

I have a well-documented tree going back to the 1600′s and earlier on most lines, with almost exclusively English, Dutch and German ancestry (small bits of French and Irish), so I was surprised to see NONE of that reflected in my DNA results (65% Scandinavian, 16% Southern European, 16% Eastern European). I understand the likely Viking DNA explanation in Europe, but I still was shocked to see ZERO British Isles/Western European…and I have no idea where the Southern & Eastern European comes in. Very much looking forward to the revised results and seeing how that changes things.

October 15, 2013 at 11:41 am
danny

So how can I tell if I have the newest version of the data?

October 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Steve

@ danny – the new version has not been released yet. There are some folks who were invited to see the preview of what their new data will look like, but the rest of us have to wait until the official release. I understand there will be an e-mail announcement coming once the data is ready.

October 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm
danny

thank you Steve.

October 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm
John

143 Carly – Ancestry allows users to have more than one tree. Have you considered having two trees? One private and one public. In the public tree you can list the people you know are correct. Then you can link your DNA results to the public tree.

October 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Carole

A helpful tool would be to have a button on each person in the tree where we can mark them as a guess, or unproven, etc.

I don’t know what it should be named, but for now when I’m unsure I put the name as, for example, “first name___”maybe John,” last name___”maybe Smith.”
That way John Smith will still be in the auto-search for potential record matches, but anyone wanting to copy from me will know he isn’t proven.

Re: Luis, regarding Gender, it doesn’t really matter what gender the person is. Your match is farther back in the line, they are merely a descendant of a common ancestor. But the way you can tell is by the icon used for their default photo, it’s either a male or female icon unless they’ve uploaded a pic.
I don’t understand why that would be important unless you were trying to figure out who they are in real life, as in a half-sibling or first cousin?

To those with supposed Native American in their DNA as per family tradition, we have those stories as well and it didn’t show. One explanation is they don’t have much of a Native American database for markers.
But also, if your father is less than 100% Native American, it’s possible that you didn’t inherit the marker. For example, if he’s 90% Native American and 10% Iberian Peninsula (Spanish), you could potentially only inherit the Spanish, it doesn’t work like we’ve always believed, in that we get 50% at each generation.
It doesn’t mean you don’t have Native American in your ancestry, it just means you didn’t inherit the marker. Think of it as your great grandfather having blue eyes but you have brown. He’s still your great grandpa, you just didn’t get his blue eyes.
There’s a very helpful instructional video on the subject, linked above in the thread.

October 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm
Jeff Hanna

139 annitajfulton: I was also really surprised that my ancestry.com DNA did not have Native American listed. Rich Heape Films, has a great DVD for about $ 25.00. The name of the DVD is, “How To Trace Your Native American Heritage”. It will show you how to apply for a Certificate of Degree of Blood, How to obtain your Tribal Membership, How and where to research the Dawes Rolls, Great Internet sites to assist your search and a lot more. It also lists over five hundred federally recognized American Native tribes that you can contact. Address is, Rich-Heape Films, Inc. 5952 Royal Lane, Suite 254, Dallas, Texas 75230. The web site is http://www.richheape.com. Phone number is, 888-600-2922. If you use the information from the DVD along with ancestry.com, You will have great results. I’ve been amazed how many relatives I have found. I hope with everyone else that the NEW RESULTS will Be a lot more accurate. I hope this helps you and anyone else with their Family search. The DVD is made by a Native American and the company is also Native American owned.

October 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Saundra

I was surprised and disappointed with my results of the DNA test I took. The description was too vague and I have a lot of 95% or better matches but they were 4th or higher generations. It was no help to me at all in my ancestry search. I hope the new format is a little more detailed. I also feel that the private trees should not have access to my information since they don’t want me to have access to theirs. I believe the point of having a tree on Ancestry is to discover new relatives not just to collect information.

October 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm
Carole Simon

This is great!

But, how about a chromosome browser? I have found many trees with as many as 4 or 5 names from my tree. How can I possibly verify whether the dna link is one, two or all of them?

Contrary to what some may think, your customers are quite capable of using and assimilating this type of data.

October 16, 2013 at 7:12 am
bill shelton

I kinda wish you had not announced this dna update so FAR in advance. I keep checking everyday and am frustrated that it hasn’t happened yet.

October 16, 2013 at 8:41 am
Ann Burns

I have to agree…it might sound whiny but please, don’t say its coming soon…say its coming on…..whatever the date. Its really obnoxious to throw out teasers to people who are clearly invested in the results or at least, seriously curious. It’s a time waster to keep checking back…I hate that. Could you consider making an announcement so we all can stop clicking on the site when we have no other reason to?

I do have a question though: It looks like the test subjects original DNA breakdowns of say three or so ethnicities were not even close to the new results. How does one go from being 60% British Isles in the first results to 30% British Isles in the second results for example? That makes no sense to me. I realize this is a further break down but if someone were again, 60% British Isles, wouldn’t that further breakdown make more sense if it then went to 30% Welsh and 30% Scottish or whatever? I’m very confused. It almost makes it seem like the original test results could be completely wrong…?

What am I missing here?

As for the private tree issue, someone suggested two trees…one that is “proven” and one that is a work in progress. That’s exactly what I have done. Makes it much easier to transfer those I am certain of onto a “proved” tree while I make notes and enter names on the other.

October 16, 2013 at 9:32 am
Steve

Ok, maybe this is a clue to the release date, maybe not. There is what appears to be some kind of Webex event next Thursday, 10/24 related to the Ethnicity update. Found it on Facebook… See below, for reference, the FB page link is https://www.facebook.com/events/202183653296838/?ref=br_tf

“http://livestream.com/ancestry
Description
Join Crista Cowan and Anna Swayne as they walk through the new AncestryDNA Ethnicity update. They will explain the science behind the update, show the tools available to explain it to your family members, and show you the resources available to learn more for yourself.

This event happens on Oct 24th @ 1 pm EDT (10:00 am PDT).

Click here to RSVP for the event and receive reminders via Facebook. Or, to receive an email reminder, visit the Ancestry.com Livestream page (http://ancstry.me/oy8vbN) and click on the RSVP button at the top of the video window.”

October 16, 2013 at 9:56 am
Margaret Black

I have said and I say again there needs to be a better way of eliminating matches that have no trees. Private trees need to be identified so we can ignore if not important enough. Most of us try to go through looking at the largest volume but it really takes too much time if you have all of these options that are unusable.

October 16, 2013 at 9:59 am
Carole

Ideas to help with blocked tree people

Filter: Private Trees
Filter: No Trees
(ability to turn off filter later)

Warning to someone making tree private or missing a tree:
By clicking this button you will be opting out of the tree-sharing portion of our site. In order to compare your tree with others, it must be public to those on your match list. ***It is not public to the entire Ancestry.com membership, and living people will be marked as private.***

***wishful thinking on my part
It seems a no-brainer, that when Ancestry offers DNA testing that *only* our matches would see our trees, not the entire population of Ancestry.com membership. I don’t understand why this wasn’t a first step in the DNA site.

October 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Jessica

How many more weeks will we be forced to look at the “Coming Soon” banner? Just update the results and make the banner say “New Ethnicity Estimates Are Here!” Everyone’s data has already been re-analyzed, they are just taunting us with it now.

October 16, 2013 at 2:20 pm
Mari

I am curious how Ancestry’s DNA ethnicity test compares to the 23&me test. I’ve gotten results from both and they are vastly different, why is that?

October 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm
Mark

Come one stop teasing us!! I perfectly know you guys did all the research. I saw a blue box above the top page and it stated that “AncestryDna is completing a update to the site from 2 am today to 1 am tommarow”. If you do not update by tommarow it will evidently prove you guys are pulling a scam.

October 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Robin Maloney

Is this why I can’t get into my results now? I did see them before, but now I click and nothing happens. Do I only get a week’s view? That is pretty shoddy after paying $99. I thought it would always be there. It should be at this price.

October 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Cheyalee

On the top of my DNA page it says “Beta Send feedback” does this mean I already see the new information? If so my excitement is for nothing. I know nothing about anyone in my blood line other than my mother. I didn’t get any closer than to possible forth cousins. I guess I just wait it out :)

October 16, 2013 at 8:38 pm
Stephanie ( Smith) Stahlhut

To Carole, (Comment # 159) I could not agree with you more. My last count was 119 pages of DNA matches. The vast majority were private or no tree added, matches. It’s very tiring, and disappointing. I have been a member since 2007. I have had a public tree the entire time with the exception of about two months. I put my tree on private after I had a bad experience with a leaf clicker type person ( tree had 20,000 + people in it!) And they chose my personal family pictures and info to add to their Insane, (completely in no way shape or form related to me) family tree. If they had taken the time to read the info and use a little logic they would have seen it too. But I hated having a private tree. It was not worth it to have no interaction with my fellow researchers and distant kin. I LOVE talking and sharing with everybody. The entire time my tree was private, NOBODY wrote to me. I decided after that I would rather send a friendly correction and explanation that be a Hermit researcher! This is just my own opinion. P.S. I sent out a batch of query’s to all of my Private Tree DNA matches with leaf Hints. Probably about 15 people. I received ONE response ) : . This was a couple of weeks ago.

October 16, 2013 at 11:20 pm
L Casson

Simply stated, my results were bogus, 97% Swedi sh 3% unknown, and I am thoroughly disgusted with Ancestry DNA. My paternal grandfather was born in Swede, my paternal grandmother was born in Ireland to an Irish mother Scottish father. My maternal grandmother was first generation Dane on her mother’s side and full German, second generation on her mother’s side. My maternal grandfather was 1/2 German, second generation, his mother was Heinz 57 largely German Dutch. I don’t care how far the Vikings sailed the Scandinavian line didn’t stay pure, or almost pure for hundreds of years. Too add insult to injury, I was matched to people with no Scandinavian ancestry and many who had incorrectly linked their trees to mine and are absolutely unrelated though Ancestry says with 95% certainty they are 4th to 6th cousins.

October 17, 2013 at 12:22 am
Paula Bergs

@ L Casson. I could not agree more. My results are also bogus. I had my dad and mom do the DNA so I could get separate results. My dad’s father was 100% Norwegian. We have Norwegian records showing his family on all sides going back at least in to the 1700′s. Some to the 1600′s. I visited many of these family farms in Norway last year. Solid records there. Yet my dad’s DNA shows he is at 15%. The old test showed he was 71% Scandinavian. That is a huge swing between the two tests. The old test also had him at 10 % east Europe and no west Europe and the new test has 51% west Europe – and no east Europe. Another huge swing. Either the new test is bogus or they tested some else’s DNA. I do not recall that anywhere in history people migrating into Scandinavia which would account for these DNA results. Or am I wrong on this.
My mom had big swings between the tests but not as drastic as dad’s and were somewhat more believable but not entirely. Total disappoint and what a waste of money.

October 17, 2013 at 7:24 am
L Casson

@Paula Berg…AncestryDNA won’t even respond to my complaints. I am fed up with people who have no clue on how to do Swedish research linking to me tree and then corrupting the information. In 1997 Sweden remapped and renamed their counties and Ancestry defaults to modern place names when you start to enter data. The place names in a lot of trees don’t exist. I have even done research and given people their correct info and they still don’t correct the data. I have concluded that most of these ignorant researchers are name harvester who are just looking for bragging rights. (One guy told me he had an Olaus in his family and just plugged him into my tree, which already had an Olaus because it seemed to fit.)It was easier to ignore before the DNA test, now I am further insulted by having to see all those trees with the bogus info all over again. I have registered with National Georgraphic’s FamilyTreeDNA.com and uploaded my raw data. For $69 they run it through their data bank. Hopefully there will be fewer bogus relatives turning up. I have now made my tree “private” since I now all those bogus trees can do me damage.

October 17, 2013 at 9:17 am
L Casson

AncestryDNA is misleading people. If this evolution with change my results the original results should have show a higher percentage of “Unknown” instead of 97% Scandinavian and 3% unknown. They are taking our money, furnishing what ultimately turn out to be bogus results, until they can get there act together.

October 17, 2013 at 9:21 am
Kristina Rogers

I absolutely love my new results. It Shows DNA that I knew should have been there but wasn’t in the old results. It was all lumped into one region. Also my husbands, before it had 17% uncertain. Well we knew what it was, and now the results reflect what they should. He’ll be happy as well I am sure.

October 17, 2013 at 10:14 am
Drumboogie

Mine did not come in yet. Has this been officially rolled out to everyone?

October 17, 2013 at 10:34 am
L Casson

October 17, 2013 at 10:41 am
Steve

My new results are in… more like what I expected…
45% Europe West
30% Great Britian
19% Ireland
6% Other (2% Finland/Russia, 2% Scandanavian, 2% Iberian Peninsula)
Still no Native American showing…but it’s likely very small %. Based on the descriptions given, and my tree, the Irish is probably actually Scottish.

October 17, 2013 at 11:09 am
Flecia Armstrong

This update is AWESOME! My updated results are much more defined than the original results and now show my known ancestry from Ireland and France. The new detailed analysis gives me more to delve into. Thanks Ancestry!

October 17, 2013 at 11:30 am
L Casson

The new results are improved but make me even angrier about what they threw out initially. There is still one area I know is way off. I just don’t understand how you go, in 1 week, from 97% Scandinavian 3% unknown to 36% Great Britain (bogus), 25% Swedish, 23% Western Europe, 5% Irish, 11% trace (of which 5% is Iberian Peninsula, 5% Eastern Europe, <1% European Jewish). I think we are all guinea pigs for a company that doesn't know what it's doing. I have traced my lines (proven) to accept 36% Great Britain.

October 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm
psagely

Add me to the angry and growing list of members who would like to block private tree owners from seeing my public tree. It’s time for Ancestry to level the playing field here. Force these selfish folks to come out of their hidey-holes and play fair with the rest of us. If I cannot see their tree, I should have the option of keeping them from seeing mine.

To those who say just ask for permission to see a private tree….well, it is not as simple as asking nicely as I have written to several….asking politely for permission to view their tree…and gotten no reply….no response….nada…..nothing.

My experience has been that very few privates are willing to share even when asked nicely. Some don’t even have a way to contact them. Nice.

I don’t want to make my tree private to everyone as I appreciate and enjoy the sharing of information with others….as long as it works both ways.

And as for the excuse that some privates aren’t 100% sure of their info so they keep their trees private until they are sure everything is correct….I say phooey. Our trees are all a work in progress. The rule of the game is user beware. Anyone who blindly copies info from others without checking it out deserves what they get….mistakes and all.

If your tree isn’t perfect and someone copies misinformation, so what! If it is the best info you have at the time, it is okay to put it in your tree. If I want to use your info, it is my responsibility to verify it. No tree is EVER perfect…get over yourself!

C’mon Ancestry….take care of those who make Ancestry what it is….without the public trees you wouldn’t have much, would you? So, do the right thing and give us the option to block those private trees from scouring info from our public trees and giving us and the entire Ancestry community nothing in return.

October 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Terresa

I received my email that my DNA updates were available, unfortunately I cannot access the DNA page. All I get when I try to access the page is Ancestry.com/DNA is temporarily down for system maintenance. Really? ALL day??

October 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Adam

Just got a look at my results… very nice! I was pretty disappointed with the first round of results as they were soooo generic.

This is a 100% improvement.

October 18, 2013 at 7:51 am
L

I do realize the new DNA results are an ESTIMATE and am quite pleased with my updated results.

If I could ask Ancestry.com a question, it would be this: How do you denote the difference between a “Trace Region” that is 5% in my case and a “Region” that is 5%?”

Private vs. Public? My tree is “Private” and so is my parent’s. I was asked by a 4th-6th predicted Cousin to view my tree and I had no problem responding within 24 hours and sharing.

Problem faced with DNA matches: Close matches (2nd & 3rd Cousins) that have not responded to my messages. Maybe Ancestry.com might consider an “Opt Out” tab for those who are only interested in finding out their Ethnicity. I wanted to take the DNA test in order to find out information for a branch of my tree where one of my ancestors was adopted and never knew the name of his father. When I received notice of the matches, I was elated. However, their non-response has let the air out of my balloon.

October 18, 2013 at 6:52 pm