Posted by on September 12, 2013 in AncestryDNA

Coming soon…a free update to your AncestryDNA ethnicity results! Today, we launched a preview of the new features and results to a small random group of AncestryDNA members, which will be released to everyone in the next few months. Not to worry, everyone who has AncestryDNA will see this new experience when we roll it out to all. And, you won’t even need to take the test again! This is one of the many benefits of AncestryDNA; as new findings are discovered, we give you updates along the way. Our science team has been hard at work since we started this journey to improve our ethnicity predictions by doing and incorporating more research to provide the best results.

So, we’re not sharing everything just yet, but here’s a sneak peek at what makes up this ethnicity update:

• More refined ethnicity estimates
  • More detailed results
  • Based on our collection of DNA samples from around the world
  • Enhanced website experience

If you are in the preview, you will see an orange button on your DNA results page to take you to the preview that includes your new results.

PREVIEW DNA

We are really excited about our preview launch and for all of you to see your new results! Stay tuned and we’ll let you know when we make this available to all our AncestryDNA members.

Shirley McKay

I just wish there were updates for the Maternal Lineage Test (mtDNA) that I did in 2008. If I want to keep my membership going I do not feel I can afford to have new tests every whipstitch. Are there any plans to add more info for early test-takers? Sad that there is not a discount for those who had already taken a test.

September 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Elizabeth Green

Excited about seeing the new results! Glad you guys keep searching for better result’s.

September 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm
Debra

This is exciting news – I have really been thinking about doing the DNA testing and this gives me even more incentive to do so.

September 12, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Donna Stamm

This is good news! I hope to have some new information!

September 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Colleen Cyr

I would like to know when the DNA project will be available for people that are not from the United States

September 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Regina Null

I wish they would release our maternal and paternal haplogroup like 23 & me, now I have to pay more money to have my male cousin tested on 23 & me. I have to find relatives on my father’s side.

September 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Daniel J. Luther

I am getting close, this new information may get me there.

September 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Angie Bush

Thank you for updating this! My results are much improved when compared with my known ancestry, as are the results for other family members who’s kits I manage.

September 12, 2013 at 3:48 pm
Sandra Casper

Hurry!! can hardley wait for update…like others comment….a discount for multiple tests would be nice … also a little better help with those who match but dont have trees…and maybe laying out a better connection association for us dummies who are still struggling with DNA and what it means in genealogy.

September 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm
Kristin Koshida

Regina, atDNA does not provide haplogroups no matter where you are tested. That is only available through the yDNA or mtDNA test.

September 12, 2013 at 5:55 pm
BEE

Happy to see that I was in the preview, and the results are much closer to what I expected based on what I know of my ancestry. No more 25% Scandinavian. My Eastern European percentage has been boosted, and the other two small percentages aren’t surprising, as a matter of fact, I wondered why one of them wasn’t included in the original results.
Very exciting!

September 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Nathan Machula

Kristin, you’re correct that atDNA doesn’t include haplogroups, but the chip they’re using tests at least 885 SNPs on the Y chromosome. You can see the allele values in the raw data file, labeled as chromosome 24. 23andMe does provide haplogroups; they customized their chips with a few hundred thousand additional SNPs, including ~2200 more on the Y, and ~2700 mtDNA SNPs.

September 12, 2013 at 8:33 pm
Myla Fairchild

I cannot wait for this update, and I hope it happens soon. I really felt my DNA left me with more questions than answers and I’m hopeful that the update will finally give me the answers. I also echo there should be a discount on multiple kits.

September 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm
Phyllis Golla

Exciting and educational.

September 13, 2013 at 1:00 am
Harriette Jensen

I have the orange button announcing the preview, but all I get is coding.

September 13, 2013 at 1:36 am
Kathy Reed

I am very excited about this latest improvement. From what I’m reading, however, it will not include an improvement in the ability to differentiate between western European populations. I’m especially interested in German, but from what I’ve read, it is almost impossible to differentiate French from German.

I am in the process of preparing a talk for our genealogical society scheduled for January. I would love to be able to be one of those who get the updated results sooner rather than later to allow me adequate time to understand the changes and prepare slides.

September 13, 2013 at 6:21 am
Leilani Hall

I’ve done the DNA but I have not found any benfit yet. It diddn’t tell me anything you wouldn’t have found by going to the birth locations of my ancestors on my tree. Am I missing something. And all the “possible matches” have never matched. :(

September 13, 2013 at 6:27 am
Elaine Gaudet

When will the AncestryDNA tests be more accessible to Canadians. It is very very annoying , its like we are second class citizens. Pay Pal could be an option, but that is not the case. Does a person have to move to order a test kit????

September 13, 2013 at 8:35 am
Marietta Simone van den Berg

I am with Leilani Hall. I must have about 4,000 matches by now but, as far as I know, just one actual match :-) . Hopefully the new refined ethnicity estimates and refined results can narrow things down.

September 13, 2013 at 8:47 am
Cynthia Smith

I am very excited to see the new ethnicity results. I am also hoping to find a match, since I haven’t found one yet. Even though half of my ancestry is British, the DNA test did not detect any of it, but detected much more Scandinavian heritage than I really have.

September 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Larry Van Horn

Well, well a little work on your part means a much better product. I will be very happy to report to my readers and students that you folks have gotten this ethnicity thing pretty much on track. I have looked at all three kits I manage and fairly confident you have a much better mix. Thank goodness the heavy Scandinavian overload is gone. Good job and I will be putting in survey feedback (you know I can’t pass up the opportunity to chat with you folks) and will be blogging this to all my readers. Well done. Now that your IT folk have this ironed out when are you folks going to get me a chromosome browser so my results will be much more useable. Please, please let’s put a chromosome browser at the top of your list of improvements – please! Maybe begging will help?

Larry Van Horn, IBSSG/ISOGG
Nicolas Martiau DA National Registrar
Syndicated Genealogy Newspaper Columnist
Genealogy Instructor/Lecturer/Family Historian

September 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm
Donna

We really need a chromosome browser, and something to show in common with matches, please?

September 13, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Patricia White

Boo! Not in the preview. :-(

September 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm
Christine

HUGE improvement! I was using GEDmatch to see my ethnicity estimates, and finally Ancestry’s dovetails with GEDmatch. Keep up the good work!

September 14, 2013 at 12:29 am
Paul

Muct better details. More in line with my family research.

September 14, 2013 at 6:28 am
Pat Burns

I like the new improvements. There is more detail in most categories, although native Americans seem to have lost a category and northern Asia is not represented. There is also tons of peripheral information.

I would like to know how the percentages are determined. For example, I show Europe East at an approximate amount of 8% with a range of 0% – 18% and Europe West at an approximate amount of 5% with a range of 0% – 20%. How does calculating something with a range spread of 18 arrive at 8 while something with a range spread of 20 arrives at 5? It’s obviously not an average. I would guess that the percentage is determined partially based on the percentage figure that is listed for DNA unique to the region, 82% for Eastern Europe, 48% for Western Europe. Is there a formula?

September 14, 2013 at 7:34 am
Pat Burns

Elaine Gaudet, I too would like to see them open testing up to Canadians and the world. Some of my ancestors came from, went to, and passed through Canada. Opening Canada up to testing could give people in the US access to the names of distant cousins who didn’t emigrate and that would make the inclusion of Canadians to the mix beneficial for all of us.

Just speculation, but I’m wondering if saliva is considered bio-hazard, and for that reason, not allowed to pass between countries easily. The hold up may be less about payment processing and more about international health laws. If so, perhaps AncestryDNA could build a partnership with a Canadian testing laboratory.

September 14, 2013 at 8:39 am
Shirley Joiner

I’m very eager for this update to be applied. My mother was adopted and we know very little information on her birth parents. Finally, because of the results of a full mtDNA test and from matching DNA cousins, I can tell that she has English ancestry. We suspect Irish ancestry via her birth father. The large percentage of Scandinavian ancestry AncestryDNA has attributed to her was very confusing. I’m sure it still remains misleading to the DNA relatives who match her on your site. People looking at my tree for a match not only do not see matching surnames but they also fail to see an ancestral match, leading to the assumption that we are not related. I thank you for working to correct this.

September 14, 2013 at 8:51 am
Adrian Brienza

Wow…much better and much more accurate!!!! Glad to see my italian in there as well as scandinavian. Which was absent from my original results.

September 14, 2013 at 8:56 am
BEE

I’m wondering what will become of the list of “matches”. With my ethnicity, my list has been very short, so I am able to check each one very quickly.
My husband has over 45 pages of “matches” that I try to check out, but it’s a tedious process, especially since most of them are low to very low matches. Will those all go away with the newer charts?

September 14, 2013 at 9:57 am
Frank Sperling

Please speed up your refinement on potential tree matches. Original ethnicity at Ancestry was 100% European Jewish. Under the preview, it is now 100% European Jewish with a 0% error range. Because I’ve reviewed nearly 1,000 potential tree matches with a probability range of 95-98% and not one has matched, I’m still finding little return on this $100 investment. I know you’re working to improve the European Jewish matching challenge of showing false matches…please, please focus on improving this area.

September 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm
AncestryDNA Launches New Ethnicity Estimate

[...] Ancestry.com announced on its blog (see “A Sneak Peek Into The AncestryDNA Ethnicity Update – Coming Soon To Your DNA Results!“) that as of today they “had launched a preview of the new features and results to a [...]

September 15, 2013 at 12:02 am
Samantha

I’m one of the random small group, I feel so special ^_^

September 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm
Irma Salinas Holtkamp

Much better breakdown for Europe, but why is all Native American now lumped together? I was also surprised to see that I now show a higher percentage for Italy/Greece than for Iberian Peninsula. All my known ancestors go back to Spain and Portugal. Others have complained about having Scandinavian numbers that were too high, but my daughter-in-law did not show any Scandinavian in the initial results and now she shows 50% Scandinavian which is more believable because her father’s family is Scandinavian. Curious to know why you use an average percentage in the new results instead of the median number and if the median number was used (of the 40 samples) if that number would be different than the average? Will be eager to see the “descriptions” for each ethnicity label. This was great news. I would still like to see more of a table layout that could allow downloading to an Excel spreadsheet. I find it much more useful to be able to sort and group all DNA matches with specific characteristics (private tree vs public, hints vs no hints, all matches administered by a speicific user, confidence level, etc.

September 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Cool GenStuff - Monday 16 September 2013 | Hack Genealogy

[...] Ancestry DNA:  A Sneak Peek Into The AncestryDNA Ethnicity Update – Coming Soon To Your DNA Results! [...]

September 16, 2013 at 2:32 am
TC

For ‘only’ $100 – Ancestry autosomal is a complete steal. It is why other companies suddenly dropped their once $300 and more testings ‘down’ – they want to be able to say they have more in their database, but in reality, their testings do not give us any more information than we already have received here.

To those that complain : log off. Don’t log back in. Spend your money elsewhere, there are no guarantees with DNA and for most, your stories told will only bring you heartache because too many families passed down ‘stories’ – if you do not do the hard research and back it up with many sources, you are cheating yourself and future generations.

DNA is a tool to be used, but will never take the place of actually digging for the truth. It may help you to wonder if unknown missing GGGGrandma is one of those surnames that continue to appear in your matches, but until you can find a paper trail – and you may never not! – you will not know who she was, and where she came from.

One who wishes to know more about how DNA works needs to read about migration patterns as well. Just because on paper, you think you are traced to a certain region, doesn’t mean that your earliest ancestors were not from Afghanistan, for example. And several well known studies now have proven that England (British Isles) was the original melting pot. And that Scandanavians were among the first to break into other countries, so their leaving behind DNA is a safe bet.

September 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Gale Stevenson

I hope this really does improve results. Mine have no reference to any of my UK lineage (grandfather , 2 gt grandparents).

September 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Karl

I was one of the lucky ones to preview it already. All I have to say is it is much clearer and far more interesting. The regions are a lot better, and the new results are way more in line with what other professional genetic studies have proven. The huge amount of Scandinavian in people has been clarified, and also the uncertain percentages as well. Its very good, and I am far more willing to recommend it now to other people! Great Job ancestry.com you listened to our earlier complaints and actually answered them. There isn’t too many companies who will do that so Im very pleased!

September 17, 2013 at 6:45 am
Kraig

I have a hard time taking any of these results seriously anymore. I have varied from 75% scandinavian to 11%. And 0% british to now 55%. From 0 irish to 13%.. From 12% southern to 0 and now 11% Western european from 0…. Maybe next month I will be 65% Finnish? A little ridiculous.. Magic-8 ball ancesty.com

September 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm
Janis Foley

My husband and brother had DNA tests with Ancestry.com a few years ago. Will this also be available to them? cCn their tests be updated? Their tests seem very basic. Thanks.

September 18, 2013 at 10:56 am
Carol B. Smith Fisher

Your new DNA results were certainly different from the results initially received. A better explanation is certainly needed. I have gone from 99% British Isles and 1% Uncertain; to: 26% Europe West, 23% Scandinavia, 18% Ireland, 16% Great Britain, 8% Iberian Peninsula, 4% Italy/Greece, 4% Europe East, and <1% European Jewish.

All that is explained is the countries that may or may not be included! Your new results better match my family tree in some respects, but these results are so very different from the first results that only confusion will reign supreme! Please do better explaining this discrepancy.

September 19, 2013 at 6:52 am
Lanita Oliver

Looking forward to the new AncestryDNA Ethnicity Update. Hope to see this new feature soon.

September 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm
Vivian Oliver

I have enjoyed researching my Ancestry and can’t wait to see the new features with the AncestryDNA Results.

September 20, 2013 at 8:03 am
Karl

I think people on here who have seen the new dna estimates need to understand genetics somewhat. First of all the Beta version on ancestry.com was like ancestry.com just getting into genetics. It wasn’t very good and had a huge range for wrong percentages and ethnicities they have basically admitted that and said they would make them better which they are doing. The new version is much much better because it is much more in line with all other genetic studies out there. People need to understand that if you have a lot of English ancestry don’t be disappointed when you show up as 55% Great Britain. That is a lot because as the new results show, the average person from that region shows up about 60% great Britain, because no region is PURE. Every region is somewhat mixed except for certain regions like North Africa and Finland where people have been isolated for a very long time, and are ethnically very unmixed. My old results showed me as 63% Eastern European and 29% Scandinavian and 8% uncertain. 3 of my grandparents were full Slovak and my fourth a big mix of Irish Scottish English german and French. My new results list me as 55% eastern European 20% Irish 13% Western European 4% finnish/northern Russian, 3% Iberian 1% Italy/greek and 1% great Britain. This makes much more sense because the average eastern European is about 80% eastern euro. The Irish basically means CELTIC and does not neccesarily mean just Ireland because it shows up in every country were the Celts went. Im very pleased with the new results because Ive read quite a lot about genetics and the old results didn’t make much sense. Put Finns with all western Russians in one group. now they list finns with only Northeren Russians, which is accurate because northern Russians are highly related to finns where as southern Russians are just the same as the rest of eastern Europeans.

September 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Sally Johnson

Saw the preview on Genetic Genealogist, and it looks terrific! Is there any way to apply to receive the update sooner rather than later?

September 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm
William Harman

Attempted to use the ” NEW Ethnicity Estimate Preview” by clicking on the button. I get a screen with a bunch of code e. g.
{{‘ethnicity.v2.preview.title’|i18n}}
{{‘ethnicity.v2.preview.exit’|i18n}} etc. (the url is http://dna.ancestry.com/settings/#/ethnicity/B63C2D82-7B69-4679-B445-117986708DED) and no visable graphic information. Please fix. I would really like to see the new Ethnicity Estimate.
William Harman

September 21, 2013 at 11:33 am
Can Your DNA Reveal Where Your Ancestors Came From?

[...] 6,000 AncestryDNA customers received a preview last week of a new ethnicity estimate that more-accurately calculates the person’s ethnicity based on [...]

September 22, 2013 at 12:00 am
Carol Correggia

I hope the update will be a lot less clunky than what you have now. I want a fast way to weed out the distant matches that are of no value to me. One needs both a knowledge of their family, back as far as they can go + a DNA match to be really useful. Otherwise all you have is random matches that are no value for someone who is serious about tracing their roots.

September 28, 2013 at 11:57 am
Belinda

I’m so excited…. Please HURRY :)

September 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm
James

I absolutely hate that I did my DNA test with Ancestry. Should have gone to 23&me like so many suggested. ”
Genetic Ethnicity

British Isles
97%
Uncertain

What a complete crock of wrong. This new update really better ‘fix’ that horribly innacurate result. I’m not impressed one bit.

October 1, 2013 at 11:43 am
Lloyd Waller

I am Excited about this because my dna make up just didnt seem right.
Also It would be GREAT if you added a Printer Friendly way to print out results or email them to our family that would like results of their tests.

October 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Suzannah McCuen

I have to agree with those who wish the complainers would (1) better educate themselves about what DNA can and cannot tell us and (2) be PATIENT! Building the database and interpreting it and then re-interpreting it take time. Be grateful we have come this far. And be open to the DNA telling a tale that may not quite match what you THOUGHT was the truth about your ancestry. Relax. Enjoy. And thanks for adding to the database. As for wanting a discount for ordering more than one or two tests….consider yourself fortunate to have money to spare for this luxury. It is indeed quite a luxury, after all, just as is a membership to Ancestry.com.

October 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm
Ida C Dickey

SHOULD NOT PICK A SELECT FEW——–MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE AT SAME TIME. I PAY MY DUES JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

October 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Hugh A Jones

I am in the preview, but have to admit I am totally puzzled; after having been used to 68% Central European and 29% Scandinavian, I am now showing 88% British Isles, almost no Scandinavian and very little W European. I think the percentages are messed up, but who am I to say? Also am tired of getting excited about close relative matches only to find they have no tree attached. What good is that? They should be penalized or not allowed to be shown with those with trees. I think the new preview poses more questions than it answers. Am still up in the air about DNA testing

October 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Alexis Smith

I understand the beta testing and I understand how this is a work in progress. I’m even excited for the new information. All I want right now is a timeline. A week? Two? A month?
I just want to know when I can expect to see these changes.

October 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Olivia D'Alessandro

I should sincerely hope the new results will be better than the old. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when I got the original results. 32% British Isles? Just what is that supposed to mean? Did you simply go to my tree and see that I have a bunch of ancestors from England, Ireland and Wales? Come on. Everybody knows that the population of the British Isles is made up of Celts and Angles and Saxons and Jutes and Romans and French. Don’t just tell me that 32% of my ancestry is from the British Isles. I didn’t need to pay good money to be told that. This whole thing seems kind of bogus to me. My fault. I should have been satisfied with the yDNA test which I had done with my brother’s cooperation and not had this other test done as well.

October 3, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Thomas Williams

I am extremely disappointed with the test results sent to me as it relates to the DNA speciman I provided you. I am satisfied you did absolutely nothing in the way of testing my DNA specifimen and your summary of my ancestry birth place history is well below the elementary level. Anyone with knowledge of last name history and where their name originated could easily put together a list like what you provided for the $100 fee. You have perpurtuauated a fraud to anyone that you collected this DNA fee from as it truely misrepresents what your advertisement and solicitation outlines. You foremost DID NOT provide DNA data, but simply provided information showing a percentage of relatives from whatever part of the world their last name points you to. My great-grandmother on my Mother’s side was full blood Indian and my grandmother on my Father’s side was either a fourth or possibly an eighth Indian and that lineage and USA location of this major family ancestry was completely overlooked. What in the world is your interpretation of DNA? Other key family ancestor’s are from France and Holland, but were totally disregarded simply because their names did not appear in my Family Tree. Percentage’s for these nationalalities and country’s of origin should certainly have appeared according to your solicitation for me to pay for your DNA testing report fee. You not only have a very unhappy customer now, but I will not permit you to retain the fee I paid to Ancestry.com.

October 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Albert Herbert

I’m on here everyday and have ordered two kits. Nope, no orange tab for me (insert sad face)

October 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm
Lewe H. Sessions

I look forward to when I will be able to see how your new system affects my own DNA results. Unlike some of the commentators indicated above, I appreciate Ancestry’s efforts to provide this information. I recognize that Ancestry’s system is a work in progress and that eventually improvements and refinements will be made. I am rather shocked at the self-centered and vicious remarks I have read here. Unlike many of the writers, I feel that my financial investment in the DNA test was money well spent, and that the value I have obtained from it has far outweighed what I paid for it. My own initial DNA results seemed off the mark (probably too much Central European and Scandinavian along with no British indicated) but I recognize that the system is still being worked on. I would agree with some of the criticisms having to do with making the system more user friendly, more easy to use in terms of printing relevant information and finding key information among the data. I would agree that there is probably too much clutter–matches in which there are no names and ones that are private. And it is somewhat cumbersome and slow getting to the information. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed studying the results I have received and look forward to how the new interpretations of my DNA will turn out. Much of my own research has been verified. With the improvements you are making in the system, hopefully the new data will help make “end runs” around seemingly intractable and difficult genealogical mysteries.

October 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Denyse Baham

The old DNA results were great and the new DNA results are fantastic!
The initial information showed surprises that our family was totally unaware of. The new information is much more detailed. The changes make perfect sense. I manage 4 other family members’ tests, and we have found matches with relatives from all over the country. Sharing with newly found cousins has been exciting and fun. Thank you, Ancestry.com !!!

October 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Scott Barker

Will the new results give us Native American lineage?? I have 5% unknown and oral family tradition of my maternal Grandfather being 50-75% American Indian.

October 4, 2013 at 5:24 am
Kate Nelson

I was one of the early previewers during the Beta test and am enormously impressed with the results, which seem to be considerably more accurate than the initial percentages. I do not understand the attitudes of some people on this forum. This is a work in progress and Ancestry is trying to build it with feedback from users. Not every single user had received the enhanced results because that’s what a Beta test is – “let’s try this out with a small number of random users, survey them to get their reactions, make any fixes that we need to make, and then roll it out to the entire population.” This is the very definition of a Beta test and it’s how all organizations roll out innovations. People really need to get over themselves instead of ranting on a website. Good grief.

I agree that we need to get Canadian results and partnering with a Canadian lab seems like a great approach. Americans all along the Canadian border share tremendous ancestry with our Canadian neighbors – my family is more than 75% from Canada originally – so until Ancestry gets a Canadian service operational, we will be left with results that are less than robust.

I would also love a folder that we could use to store our matches that have a low probability of actually being connected to us.

Bottom line: Thanks, Ancestry, for a wonderful service. It is worth every penny!

October 4, 2013 at 6:22 am
Pam

I was hoping I’d be in the preview group, but no such luck. My original results have been baffling, to say the least, so I’ve been waiting for this update. I’ll try my best to be patient!

October 4, 2013 at 6:47 am
Roger C. Roberts

Okay, but would it not be in the best interest of Ancestry to explain the overblown “Scandinavian” findings in the Beta tests? Being of Celtic and Northern German blood I did expect to see SOME signs of Norse and Danish in my results, but looking at the amount stated for other people I get the idea that Ancestry is suggesting every other female in Western Europe had been raped by a Viking! Explain the mistake, get people to re-establish confidence in your product.

October 4, 2013 at 8:29 am
Kim Johnson

Tom Bombadil?? Sounds like a J. R. R. Tolkien fan came up with that one! Very clever…

But on a serious note I would like to see whether or not potential matches have linked to a tree without having to select Review Match.

October 4, 2013 at 8:32 am
Frances Pratt

I too was part of the new preview and it does match much much better with my known family tree. I only knew of one specific Scandanavian ancestor, not the high percentage previously rated. I knew there were a few French people in the tree, but none shown on the first report. Now they are there. Still the lack of verification for my native American oral history is not showing up. Yet, although I know of absolutely no Poynesian DNA, it now shows up. Maybe this will turn out to be my native American ancestors after all. This is a relatively new science and it is exciting to see what doors it opens.

I have found some very interesting connections with the low confidence and the very low confidence matches that back up the missing links that I had suspected all along, actually sometimes more than on the higher confidence. The leads encourage me to continue researching deeper. But I have to put the time in to find the connection – and it is very satisfying when I do.

I do not understand all the people who lock up their DNA information. I am nice and polite most of the time anyway, so saying please to take a look at private family trees makes me not even want to try. Nobody owns a family tree exclusively. I too have done a lot of really hard research that was easily “swiped” by others and without an ounce of credit for all my efforts. But it is this giving that allows everyone to discover more about our shared ancestry. It is so much fun and so very interesting! I would miss it if I didn’t have one more ancestor to discover. Thank you!

October 4, 2013 at 9:05 am
Joyce Calderone

My preview results where much more specific and much more in line with what I expected to see. My mom was 3/4 Irish and my original results showed no British Isles at all. The new results showed Irish and British as expected. My father was Sicilian and I was very curious about his DNA background. I suppose that’s where some of my “trace” this and that come from. I ought to get one of my uncles (my dad’s brothers) to provide a sample so I can find out more. Good work, Ancestry.com!

October 4, 2013 at 9:13 am
Denise

Can’t come soon enough. It will be interesting to see if my results become more accurate. 3 other testing companies (yeah, I did 3 others because I was so confused as to why I was 1/4 of an ethnic group not in my charts for 5 plus generations back-mathematical impossibility). The other companies never found any “Finish/Volga” markers. Ancestry missed my Native American, which was the main reason I did Ancestry’s test in the first place, so I’ve discounted its usefulness. Roll out the Beta to those of us with bad results if you want a really good beta test.

October 4, 2013 at 9:23 am
Chris Holcomb

Can’t wait for the update! Perhaps it will give me some clarification on the “unknown” part of my inherited DNA. I wonder if they’ll finally be able to identify eastern North American native DNA.

October 4, 2013 at 10:00 am
Leana Rosentrater

I feel that the DNA test is definately worth the money-for $99 we found out my husband is DNA related to the gateway ancestor Mary Gye and that our paper trail is accurate-and for another $99 I found my new england roots on my maternal side and my mysterious brick wall on my paternal side that my family has been looking for since our ancestor changed his last name–tip: look for one ancestor at a time by running a surname search within your DNA results (and dump all the private trees in the trash before you ever start because they are worthless to you and just take up space)

October 4, 2013 at 10:21 am
Jessica

It is baffling to me to see how so many people are angry at Ancestry because they do not have even an elementary understanding of DNA inheritance and the movement of populations throughout the world. My DNA results were not 100% accurate, but I did not expect it to be. The main goal of testing should be to expand the family tree through distant cousins. NOT trying to break down your ethnicity by country… at this time that isn’t even possible!

October 4, 2013 at 10:31 am
Gerald Rhodes

I believe that as more people are part of the DNA sample the results will improve with accuracy as well. I was disappointed with the number of matches, forth cousin or better, that either didn’t have a tree, or it was private. I was very happy when I wrote to one that seemed to have some of the same names but private. After she responded, the dna test confirmed that indeed she was a close descendant of my family…that made it all worth it!

October 4, 2013 at 10:32 am
Richard Greene

I am one who was selected at random to test and preview the new ethnicity estimate preview. I will say that it is more extensive and covers some new ground but it is also very general. It is so general that it will select a very large geographical area for your ethnicity. It may as well identify by continent.

October 4, 2013 at 11:14 am
Cynthia Sandoval

That is awesome. Thank you for all that you do. I am very excited.

October 4, 2013 at 11:23 am
Kasandra

I’m in the beta group and even though I don’t know my ancestry because I’m an adoptee, the new ethnicity results are much more in line with results from other places and with the little I know about my ancestry. I especially like the visual format which shows bullseyes for your ethnicity. This is a ‘better’ way to visualize what the name tags mean. When you get British Isles it can mean northern France and northwestern German regions as well because that’s how the genetic flow was from our ancestors moving around. Not only do country borders shift, but people migrating from place to place spread genetic mutations around. It’s very well organized to see this effect now.

October 4, 2013 at 11:23 am
Misty

I am curious to see if the new results are more closely matched to the results I got from 23&Me. I know all the results are basically speculative, but I seem to have gotten a better breakdown from them.

October 4, 2013 at 11:33 am
maggie

Just sent mine in and worried it will not show native American ancestry.

October 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Sue

I want my new results too! I don’t want to have to wait a few months.

October 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Rebecca Retuya

I should start off by saying that I am not some DNA test taker like some. Before I only thought to take the mtDNA test but found I didn’t want to plunk down cash for that. When the ancestry DNA test was offered, I didn’t hesitate. The info was very up front about being a basic and general source and also clearly specified that it could change over time as more results pour in, as I’m certain they did since it seems to be an upcoming trend. (And with the price!) I am also very skeptical and decided not to start a tree until I received the results. Once results returned, off I went to make a tree. Although my results currently look broad, it does seem in line with my results and with most of my matches you can see a link. I can’t wait to see what new, more detailed, results will be revealed. This update will be very exciting for me and my immediate family members as I feel like I have suddenly become the family historian. I’m very thankful that I am a participant and can’t wait to watch DNA evolve further. Thanks Ancestry.com!

October 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Glenna

I am glad to see the improvements on the ethnicity breakouts. Not perfect yet, but a lot closer. My husband and I were fortunate enough to be included in “preview”. Previously I had several strong matches with other members who are heavy Native American lineage, they were hesitant to accept our match until they went through my tree and “DOCUMENTATION” which I have attached, because of my ethnicity listed was 98% British Isles 2% Undetermined. Which is so far off it isn’t funny. Interesting thing is my mtDNA showing Pacific Rim. But for some reason it will not attach to my tree. Hmmm

Words of advice to those who do not seem to get a match-make sure your people are documented. “Ancestry Trees” is not a documentation. My guess is if you document, you will find you have been barking up the wrong trees. Once you get the right trees, you will get lots of matches. :)
I admit it, I followed wrong people on several occasions. Even with documentation!

October 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm
October 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Ann

Glad to hear this, but why dangle the carrot? If you have the info why make us wait? I’ve had more detailed ethnicity info from 23&me for months already. I’ve frankly been disappointed in ancestry’s DNA results. I love the genealogy sources and documents that Ancestry provides, but the DNA stuff has been a wash so far, compared to 23&me.

October 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm
dnA House / BLAF Architecten | Dna

[...] Read more… [...]

October 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Carrie

For people wondering why it doesn’t show Native American ancestry . . . I think someone told me before that (the old, don’t know about the new) threshold to put out of “uncertain” & be categorized was 3%. I have documented Native American ancestry. One of my great-great-grandmother’s was 1/2. Both her parents were 1/2. It doesn’t seem that far off genealogy-wise but her genes are only 1/16 of my makeup which is equal to 6.25%. She being 1/2, that makes me 1/32 Native American or slightly more than 3%. I didn’t have any Native genes show up with Ancestry (I haven’t gotten the update yet). I do have 11% uncertain & am hoping this will be greatly diminished and perhaps show Native genes. I uploaded my raw data to GedMatch & every tool there does show a combo of different Native American categories equaling about that 3%. My point is, either you don’t have Native American ancestry contrary to family oral tradition (and this is a popular American one), or it’s so far back it’s not going to show up. It doesn’t take long for it to dilute out. Although DNA can definitely aid genealogy research, you can’t think of it in such a narrow scope of time & space like researching names, dates & places of birth, marriages, deaths, etc. does.

October 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm
Brian

I am very happy to see this update. I honestly was disappointed in the original ethnicity breakdown. If you go by my family tree, I have a ton of Germany Ancestry and the breakdown didn’t register any of it. I am “81% British” and “6%” uncertain among others. If that is correct, everyone in my family was adopted or had affairs. I really hope “uncertain” goes away. Mom always did say we had alien in us though ….

October 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm
arlene miles

I am happy to hear you are moving forward. However, if you would not try to take over every other group, and concentrate on getting more records digitized and indexed.
Maybe if you offered a discount to people who help with getting records ready for the public lots more could get done.
I am not convinced you should be in the DNA business, leave it up to the scientist in the know.

October 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm
Sally Bender

I laugh every time a subscriber complains about their ethnicity. Like many suggest, educate yourself about the true workings of DNA. when someone complains that their ggggrandfather was German and all his sons as well, and why don’t I show ancestry to Germany? With the randomness of DNA, maybe you just didn’t get that particular gene. Maybe you got your genes carried down by your ggggrandmother who was a mix of her ggggggrandfather who got his genes from England, and there you are with this wonderful mix of many people. AND if we think for one minute that no one person strayed outside their marriage and produced a child, you are most likely mistaken.
ancestry.com found a half sister I didn’t know I had, which lead me to my father that I have always looked for, I started with. No clue, no name, nothing! And they are found. everyone who says it isn’t accurate, log off.stay off ancestry.com. You don’t belong here.

October 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm
Matt

I have to agree that I don’t understand why people are complaining. Mine are pretty off with having countries that we have no connection to paper trails wise and not having countries that our paper trail does show. Im not a hundred percent sure though is the broken up list ones that show up in your dna or simply the ones included in that region.

October 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm
Marjie

I am impressed with the preview results which are considerably more detailed than the initial percentages. I am looking forward to the ongoing research as more information becomes available.

October 5, 2013 at 7:48 am
Dorothy Kibler Jamison

I was completely surprised by 76 percent Scandinavian results, and after reading the comments, which I don’t usually do, I find that the initial results were somehow “heavy” in this area. I would have appreciated knowing this sooner, or having some communication from you about this. I launched into a Viking reading spree so I could better understand this. I did enjoy the ride, but found out that they were everywhere, leaving their genetics wherever they went. I became confused as to “timeline” and decided that I was underwhelmed with your test results. Furthermore, the emails I received about DNA matches were unenlightening. More than half the time I couldn’t even call them up on your website. I love Ancestry.com and have enjoyed working on my tree, but couldn’t figure out how the DNA figured in to it. I hope these new results can shed some light on my family’s past. I would not have been able to spend the money to be tested anywhere else. For that I thank you. Can’t wait for this revision and would welcome more communication from you!

October 5, 2013 at 8:07 am
Laura

What do I think of my results? Disappointed. I’ve been told nothing that couldn’t have been found by perusing my tree. Of the hundreds of “matches”, only 2 were authentic. Wow.

October 5, 2013 at 8:11 am
Trish

Tom Bombadil. Love it!! I’m also very excited to see the updates to my DNA results.

October 5, 2013 at 8:45 am
Jenny Stephenson

Nice to have new ethnicity breakdowns in the works. What we really need is a chromosome browser.

October 5, 2013 at 9:15 am
Christine

Wow, folks! I would suggest reading a couple books on DNA (try DNA USA) because some people who are disappointed might understand their results better. I could have an American Indian mother and a European father and my results might show 75% European and 25% American Indian. It all depends on what you inherit from the completely random process of DNA inheritance. I have LOVED my results and found MANY different connections to new “cousins”. You might not see the connections to these cousins immediately but if you search you will! Also, don’t forget that documented relationships may not in truth be the same as DNA relationships because of human events such as adoption, infidelity and these days even donors. You can never be 100% of what went on centuries ago, even if the documents say something happen, other events may have played a factor in what DNA you have!

October 7, 2013 at 11:44 am
Donnie Ramsey

I just got the results of my DNA estimate. What a waste of money. I will give DNA estimates for free.
The test results were 100% European. I have a lot of documented Native American relatives and
I do not have the white skin of the Europeans.

This is a complete rip-off and I plan to cancel my Ancestry.com. I will not longer give money to
a company that charges real money for phony science.

November 17, 2013 at 6:47 am
Jacqueline Croslin (Flake)

I am curious if there is a discount if purchasing the Autosomal DNA Tests in bulk. If so, is there a site specific to the pricing breakdown?

SUGGESTED EXAMPLE ONLY !!!!!!!! NOT A REAL PRICE LIST!!!!
5-10 Kits 79.00 ea
10-15 Kits 69.00 ea
15+ Kits 59.00 ea

It would be a big help to those who wish to do a large family reunion type project, and it will also benefit your project in the process.

If one already exists please let me know, if not I think it would be a great help to many who want to invest their time and energy into expanding the data without going broke in the process.

I also read a comment about those who participated prior to the changes and only have the x or the y test not the Autosomal test, that they could be offered a coupon for a discounted retest, again this would help both your program and theirs.

I am sending my first test out tomorrow and looking forward to doing many more and seeing the results. I have two more that are sitting on my desk but I really want to see the results before I decide who I am going to ask to participate depending on my results.

I am posting this on the blog but it does not seem to be a Q&A format so I am going to also forward it to customer service.

Thanks for your time :-)