Available Now: Family Tree Maker version 2014

Posted by Kristie Wells on September 10, 2013 in Family Tree Maker

Includes updates on editing, sharing, tree viewing and TreeSync™ to make collaboration even easier.

Today we are releasing the 2014 version of Family Tree Maker, our family history software that enables enthusiasts to build and organize their family tree with greater ease. This update brings features such as enhanced editing to multiple reporting options, TreeSync and the new Family View.

Family View gives users the ability to control how they see their family tree and add information all while viewing extended family relationships. TreeSync gives users the ability to easily synchronize their tree with any online Ancestry.com tree, as well as keep their tree up-to-date from anywhere by allowing access from any computer, as well as iPhone or iPad.

Family Tree Maker version 2014 also comes with a free U.S. membership to Ancestry.com, which gives access to more than 9 billion historical records and 175 million historical photos and user submitted stories and 50 million family trees. The Ancestry.com membership seamlessly connects Family Tree Maker users to the largest family history community in the world, and helps find others researching the same ancestors so you can compare notes and progress your research together.

ADDITIONAL NEW FEATURES:

• New tools that allow users to sort children listed in a tree automatically by birth order and view people by location; grouping them by country, state, county and city.
  • Enhanced viewing options, which allows users to display an individual’s ancestors, spouses, and children together. Also, the Index of Individuals Report has been expanded with options to add anniversaries, birthdays, contact lists and more.
  • A new export function makes it simple to export a single branch of one’s family tree to a GEDCOM or Family Tree Maker file.
  • New editing options that will save time when source citations, media items and notes are copied and pasted.
  • New 64-bit support (this is something our customers have been really wanting on the PC
  • Improved TreeSync™ A more robust TreeSync lets you sync even more of your family tree info.

PRICING

Family Tree Maker version 2014 for windows is starting at $39.99 and is available now for purchase online at Ancestry.com, as well as in retail stores nationwide later this fall. The Mac version is scheduled for release in the next couple of months.

QUOTES:

• Eric Shoup, Senior Vice President of Product for Ancestry.com: “We are always looking for ways to make family history exploration easier for the beginner and more functional and shareable for experts. The feedback we have received from users after releasing previous versions has been important in guiding our development of the new version, and makes sure we continue to evolve the product so that it continues to be the most versatile and user friendly family history software on the market.”
  • Amy London, Family Tree Maker Customer: I didn’t think I had enough information to discover anything, let alone use a software program. Then, to my amazement and delight, Family Tree Maker connected me to people, places and things that transformed my life story — in mere minutes. What a rewarding experience.

About Kristie Wells
Kristie is Ancestry's Global Head of Social Media and Customer Engagement and is responsible for developing and managing the company's social media and social business offerings worldwide. She works with a team of community managers and social content developers to help educate Ancestry's existing customers, inspire new family historians and expand awareness into new social audiences and communities. She has a deep love of family history and is currently trying to break through the brick wall of her Christophier line (that we all know is really the 'Christopher' surname) and to one day prove - or disprove - the baron line of the Wells family. It shall be done.

Comments
1 Dani OldroydSeptember 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Wow! That is great!

2 Peter PlamondonSeptember 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Would not install, because it did not accept the serial number provided by Ancestry in the “your pre-order is ready” email. Very disappointing.

3 Hugh YoungSeptember 10, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Available only in the USA. When will it be available for purchase on the Canadian site?

4 MarDi1207September 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I haven’t received my “download link” email notification yet. Any news on when all download pre-order emails will be sent out?

5 Kristie WellsSeptember 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm

@Hugh: We are working on getting up in Canada in the coming months. Will post as soon as we have more specific news.

@MarDi1207: and @Peter: I have sent your comments on to the product team, someone will be in touch with you both tomorrow.

6 Deborah ThompsonSeptember 11, 2013 at 5:38 am

Haven’t received my download link either!

Thanks

7 Don RichardSeptember 11, 2013 at 6:37 am

Didn’t get my download link either!

8 Peter MasonSeptember 11, 2013 at 7:37 am

When can we have it in the UK – how much, which versions and what prices?

Will we be able to download?

9 Scott BaldwinSeptember 11, 2013 at 8:55 am

Pre-order means we should get the download link when it officially goes on sale. What’s the hold up Ancestry?

10 Frank SperlingSeptember 11, 2013 at 9:33 am

Will a new version of FTM for Mac be coming out soon, too?

11 stringbeanannieSeptember 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I also have not yet received my download copy of Ancestry 2014! I’ve just sent an email to the NOVA company requesting a reply regarding when I will be able to download same. I am having a few misgivings, after having read a couple of the blogs here, that, even with the download email. customers are still having trouble with the download! So very frustrating.
Ancestry and Family Tree Maker have been a great help to me over the many years I have been using them – however, I must join the ‘chorus’ of users who recently have voiced their frustration and unhappiness with the way the website and the software are not working ‘up to par’.

12 P Kristine HurdSeptember 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have not yet received the email with the download. Is this the correct place to put this?
Kristine

13 P J EvansSeptember 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Downloaded pdate wouldn’t install – it couldn’t find the runtime executable. (Note: the update file is 683MB, zipped, and comes with no installation instructions.)
Would it be asking too much for these to be properly tested before being sent out? [/exasperated user]

14 BrianSeptember 11, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I just purchased 2012 a few months ago. Will I be able to upgrade for free, or at least a very reduced price?

15 Mary EllisSeptember 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I have not received my email to download either. Any Information available on when it will be sent? There is no point in pre-order if you are late getting the download message.

16 AnnetteSeptember 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I haven’t receieved the download link? What’s the delay???What’s the point of pre-order?

17 P J EvansSeptember 11, 2013 at 8:51 pm

It took a couple of days for the download link to arrive, after I ordered it.

18 GerrySeptember 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

i have Tree Maker 2012. Purchased it online. Why isn’t the 2014 version available to Canadians as an upgrade?

19 Deborah ThompsonSeptember 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi

Has ANYONE got the download yet? I did order mine abt 3 weeks ago.

Deb

20 BillSeptember 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Any ETA when I can expect the preordered down load. but reading the previous entries I’m not sure its ready for the bug time.

21 Patricia ShawSeptember 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Sure am glad I read this, good luck everyone, think I will wait for a while until they know more about what they are doing!

22 Kristie WellsSeptember 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hi everyone, we wish to thank you for your pre-order of Family Tree Maker 2014. Due to the overwhelming response of this product, our partner fulfilling the orders – Nova Development – experienced some technical difficulties.

You should have received an email last night confirming this has now been resolved with instructions to start using the software. If you did not receive that email, please contact Member Services at 1 (800) 262-3787 or via support@ancestry.com for assistance.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

[...] Read more… [...]

24 P J EvansSeptember 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

redownloaded. Still doesn’t update.

‘Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.’

That sounds like it’s either not seeing FTM 2012, or it’s missing a critical file.

25 PaigeSeptember 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Have the ‘hard copies’ of the FTM 2014 shipped? Thanks

26 Paul KokoSeptember 13, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I have been a World-Wide member for several years now. Why should i have to pay extra for this software. The program should be included automatically with my membership renewal, why isn’t it?

[...] Available Now: Family Tree Maker version 2014 – Ancestry.com Blog [...]

28 AnnieSeptember 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm

There they go again…putting the cart before the horse.

29 Peter PlamondonSeptember 17, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Update (see post #2): another email arrived, the download link delivered a .EXE (previously a .ZIP) which installed correctly and seems to be working, yay!

Unfortunately the promised follow-up from the product team (post after #4) consisted of Ancestry distancing itself from their own product, referring me to Nova’s customer support. Seriously, Ancestry promotes FTM at every opportunity, but doesn’t stand behind it?

Ancestry, you cannot have it both ways. Either FTM benefits from Ancestry’s brand and you need to stand behind it, or it’s an independent product you wash your hands of. Not both.

As for me, I’ve had enough of this foolishness around FTM, and will not invest in future FTM updates. Any recommendations for other genealogy software?

30 Sandra KurtzSeptember 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Is there a video somewhere to explain how this works and why I need it?

31 Robert BrinsfieldSeptember 18, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Is anyone else having sync issues with FTM 2014?

32 Jim SpechtSeptember 18, 2013 at 11:26 pm

The sync function does not work at all! Contacted Ancestry and they sent the sync instructions for FTM 2012, I guess not that much changed, so why charge for the “upgrade”? I have sent emails and searched Ancestry and the FTM site and on the FTM site they still have FTM from two iterations ago as the main focus, please update the web site and let us know what is going on, keeping everyone in the dark is not the way to do business. Fix the sync issue!

33 BofusSeptember 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

If you have a 64-bit computer with more than 4GB RAM, you might benefit greatly from the new version. It seems to be behaving better than 2011 or 2012 with respect to memory usage.

Regards,

34 Carolyn LassSeptember 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I am having trouble registering my new version of Family Tree Maker. I have gone through and done all of the things that is suggested on webite and it still does not work. Here is what is happening, when I go to help menu in Family Tree Maker 14 and click on register Family Tree Maker I get the next window to open. But from their nothing happens. I click regeister and it does nothing. I here a click but nothing ever comes up. I have turned off my virrus protection, I have increased my cache, I have done all the steps recommended to me. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I call the help desk they just refer me to the help on the website. When I say I have tried all of that they have no ideas what to do.
Any help would be nice. I would really like to register my new version.

35 ZacSeptember 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

It is disappointing that no recompense for the significant down time and underperformance of the web resources and the almost complete non-functionality of FTM 2012 and FTM Mac 2 for larger trees. I spent several weeks of time trying to get either version working without success.

I gave them ours of free “consultancy” identifying many of the architecture issues nearly 18 months ago. We were promised free updated features and bug-fixes through 2013 without anything of significance being delivered. Whilst early order discounts appear to have been offered to USA customers, we are yet to see either product even released in the UK. This is really unacceptable given the significant issues that were not addressed in the 2012/Mac 2 products. Not worth buying the legacy products this late in the refresh cycle, with no complementary upgrade path. The FTM Mac 2/FTM 2012 are too unstable to recommend for large trees.

36 Katherine KirkpatrickSeptember 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Had I read these comments first, I would not have attempted to download this product….which I’ve tried twice to no avail. Now I just want my money back.

This is not acceptable business practice.

37 M. Mark EstepSeptember 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Purchased to new Family Tree Maker 2014 “Disk” and can’t get it to install on any of my computers. Tried turning Avast antivirus off and also drilled downed to the install app itself and tried to kick-start it that way, but says the file is corrupt.
This is very disappointing !!

38 Trevor ThackerSeptember 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

Carolyn, Although you are in Family Tree Maker, the registration process utilizes Internet Explorer on your computer. In this case, it sounds like something may be blocking scripts. You may want to check your browser add-ons in Internet Explorer and disable anything that could potentially be blocking the script.

39 linda webbOctober 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Family Tree Maker wont TreeSync. Been trying for over a week then went to comments on troublshoting found everyone there having trouble with treesync with 2014 ver. This really sucks. Good money thrown away!

40 Carol JohnsonOctober 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I was told by Chad in customer support that a patch is coming on or about Oct. 9. Apparently there’s a problem in the code of FTW14 that freezes the sync up. I’m trying to be patient since he’s been really working with me, but it took about 10 calls to Ancestry and a posting on their FaceBook page before I got any answers. Kristi from the FB page was very helpful in getting me to Chad! So, hang on, everyone!

41 Dwight LindseyOctober 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Sync is completely broken in 2014. I contacted tech support and was sent the instructions for fixing sync in the 2012 version, which did not work at all. Fix the sync issues, PLEASE!

42 Henry KasparOctober 8, 2013 at 5:12 am

I loaded FTM 2014 from a disk on both lap and desk top No problem with download my problem is with importing file from FTM 16 both computers stop with import at 85% tried three times on both machines. I also tried to import after rebooting —–Anyone have a suggestion!!!!! customer service support needs help phoned twice after 15 minutes gave up.

43 Lin3F0da HowardOctober 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

I downloaded FTM 2014 from Nova Development and it wouldn’t install (“Error reading from file: C:\PROGRAM~3\{3F06svE~1\FamilyTreeMaker-Files\951C9513\8488E27\msvcr100.dll. Verify that this file exists and that you can access it.) Nova Development blamed the problem on Ancestry.com; Ancestry.com blamed the problem on Nova Development. After going back and forth between the two, Ancestry agreed to refund my purchase price and told me to order the disk to install FTM 2014. When the disk arrived, I turned off my anti-virus software and began the installation process. It looked like it was going to work, and then the same .dll error occurred and I had to abort the install. Ancestry.com said that my Mozilla Firefox or my Microsoft Firewall was blocking the installation. To be on the safe side, I took my computer to DNA Computers in Dayton, OH (937-298-2667). I also took the installation disk and had the experts try to load it. They also got the .dll error. The conclusion they came to is that the FTM 2014 is not compatible with Windows 8, which my computer is running. It has something to do with the C++ file. Now, I am stuck with software that won’t install; the FTM 2014 corrupted my FTM 2012 program which was previously installed on my computer, and I am out $70+ dollars. This is ridiculous! I want my money back and a new FTM 2012 download to replace the one I purchased a few months ago from Nova Development (recommended by Ancestry.com). Does anyone else remember the days when the customer was always right?!

44 Thomas LewandowskiOctober 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Having trouble viewing on my laptop. some area’s to small of a font. If You try the large font option it helps some ,except some headers become to large. Need something like a Zoom Feature?
Tom

45 RobbyOctober 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Lin3F0da Howard (and anyone else getting an msvcr100.dll error while installing), I fixed the same issue for a friend and here’s how I did it:

When you receive the message about a missing dll, it likely points to a filepath along the lines of c:\progra~3\{3f06 etc, etc, etc. This is a folder in your ProgramData folder. Navigate to this folder, delete the folder with the weird name from the error (mine was called {3F06E471-FD45-4DB4-83A5-E68D149EA29F} but it’s probably different for everyone) then restart the installation. It should work this time. DO NOT DELETE THE PROGRAMDATA FOLDER, ONLY THE SUBFOLDER WITH THAT LONG NAME.

It’s worth noting that I contacted FTM support twice before figuring this out, and they weren’t any help either time.

46 TimOctober 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Robby, this is the same problem I am experiencing but your directions aren’t helping me. There is no such folder called ProgramData. Are you talking about editing the registry? Would appreciate any help you can give me. No where have I been able to find help on this prgram. Also, it isn’t just the msvcr100.dll that is missing. If you click ignore, another pops up, and there are more than 100 files that it says are missing.

47 Dennis MarksNovember 7, 2013 at 11:57 am

2014 has been nothing but problems. It has never done a successful sync. I have been through every suggestion to fix this error, but always get the screen that says I should quit 2014 and try later. Uninstall, install, ancestry and strongname, downloaded ancestry file to start over, worked from safe startup – nada. Added the recent patch – nada.

48 Trevor ThackerNovember 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Hi Dennis, We’ll look into this and reach out to you shortly.

49 Robert SearNovember 8, 2013 at 12:42 am

Every time I open FTM 2014 it says did not closed down properly but only one way to do it ever since I got it 10 years ago, what is the problem?

50 Trevor ThackerNovember 8, 2013 at 11:00 am

Usually this message occurs if Family Tree Maker crashes. We would suggest contacting us toll free at 1-800-262-3787 with more information so that we can attempt to verify the issue for you.

51 rudiNovember 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Hi. When will please release a new mac version of Family Tree Maker?
When I buy the current version of FTM, will upgrade to the new version free of charge, or you’ll have to buy the upgrade?

Thank you very much for your reply. (Sorry for my English)

Rudi (Slovakia)

52 Ken AndersonNovember 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Sill wondering when, FTM 2014, will be released to the Canadian and UK markets. Are we looking at Days, Weeks or Months?

[...] the Mac version is still a 32-bit application, while the Windows version is now 64-bit. The Ancestry.com Blog even highlighted this fact: “New 64-bit support (this is something our customers have been [...]

54 Elaine FrescoJanuary 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Just downloaded Family Tree Maker 3 for Mac. It won’t accept the serial number. Now what?

55 Trevor ThackerJanuary 6, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi Elaine! The download process for Family Tree Maker is handled by our trusted partner, Nova Development. If the program is not accepting the serial number, please contact Nova Development (Avanquest) at 1-877-445-6883. Their available hours are Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 8:00 PM EST. Nova Development may also be contacted by email at custsvc1@novadevelopment.com.

56 Cheryl ReillyFebruary 2, 2014 at 5:32 pm

If you already have a Ancestry.com account, it is worth it to get FTM, or wait. I just purchased an online membership, that lead me to this.

57 Michael GravesMarch 25, 2014 at 10:38 am

Just purchased the 2014 Family Tree Maker. The final step was to check for updates, received a RT Patch Error and the download wouldn’t load. Called customer Support.

I want my money refunded…. I’ve been a customer for years.

58 Trevor ThackerMarch 25, 2014 at 11:13 am

We’re sorry to hear that the update didn’t successfully install, Michael. We do have suggestions for manually installing the update in cases like this, which can be found here: http://ancstry.me/Qcefl1.

59 Rita SchrimsherMarch 26, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Same inquiry as 56: Cheryl Reilly. I have an Ancestry account and had a Family Tree Maker account that I contributed to. I just renewed my Ancestry account. Do I really need a FTM account as well? I would like to be able to access the info I contributed to FTM.
Thank you.

60 Jamie BlackwellMarch 29, 2014 at 9:37 am

I have FTM2012 and use the sync function to my desktop computer. I need the capability of using the same software with the same database from my laptop. Does FTM2014 have this capability?

61 Randelyn G.April 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Whew!!! WOW, am I glad I read these comments before installing FTM 2014. I know not to touch it, it’s unbelievable, how this and other products once owned and sold by Parson’s Technology are all getting a bunch of bugs, and fewer amounts of Technical Support and Customer satisfaction. This hands off approach from both companies would cause Bob Parsons to cringe at what they’ve become since he sold his company and its software to other companies in 1994, Intuit acquired Parsons Technology from Bob Parsons for $64 million! Nice for him, but obviously his long standing and faithful customers have become disheartened regarding the overall outcome. Having lost my job when the company was sold, I too am appalled by the handling of his programs. We, as employees were proud of the most popular products we sold: Quicken, Quickbooks, the Bible software: QuickVerse, and Family Tree Maker to name only a few. It’s truly sad that these programs appear to be taking a serious “turn for the worse” now.

62 Elliott TermanApril 19, 2014 at 5:56 am

Just received new 2014 version of FTM, and installed on my 64 bit Toshiba LT. Nice stuff added since my last update in 2005 … :)

BUT, started getting blue screen dumps. Do we have an issue here?
Thanks for the come-backs

63 Trevor ThackerApril 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thank you for contacting us, Elliott. Is the issue with the blue screen occurring within a particular section of Family Tree Maker? Some suggestions that may be of assistance can be found here: http://ancstry.me/1tsLAqU.