Posted by on April 10, 2013 in Ancestry.com Site

Early this morning the World Archives Project community achieved a huge milestone- 100,000,000 records keyed! The record count started in June 2008 and we reached 100,000,000 records early this morning.

The 166 indexes created through the World Archives Project are free for anyone to search. If you would like to join our community of contributors and play a role in helping others find their ancestors you can learn more here.

Thank you to the thousands of contributors who have given of their time to key these records!

About afechter

Anna is the Community Operations Manager for Ancestry.com. In this role her main responsibility is managing the World Archives Project. You can send an email to Anna at afechter@ancestry dot com.

Scams_R_Us

Congratulations!
By conning thousands of “community members” to key for FREE, you have managed to get your costs even lower than for the Chinese illiterates who transcribed the 1940 census.
You should be proud of yourselves.

April 12, 2013 at 6:13 am
Tiffany

April 14, 2013 at 2:46 am
Eileen S

I agree

April 15, 2013 at 7:28 am
Jeff

And more BAD info…

April 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm
C James

I like contributing. No one is obligated to do it. Sometimes I don’t feel like it & I don’t do it. Other days I feel like I want to concentrate on something & let everything else go by. And if it is going to benefit someone else, yay for them! Part of my tree exists only because of paper records that someone keyed in… sometimes really well, sometimes not so well… but, in the end I found the record & furthered my research.

April 16, 2013 at 6:04 am
Teresa Tibbetts

If you look at it that way, why are you even on ancestry? Every time you enter information on a family member, put on a picture, write your own story about a member you are adding to ancestry for free! Yes, we have to pay to be able to see other’s information, but you know? it keeps people who aren’t really interested, just causing trouble off the site.

I enter as many records as I can, when I can, I’ve keyed over 3,000 records in less than a month. Think about that when you find some exciting bit of information about some family member you never knew about… That beloved Aunt or Uncle you have lost so long ago… the next person you find for YOUR tree.

Just because someone else was smart enough to come up with the idea, and get the permission to get access to census, school, land, and other personal information for us to us, don’t mean you don’t benefit from it!

I appreciate every person who contributes, signs on and searches their family, and doesn’t keep it “private”.

April 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Terry Browning

Thanks to all the people who have transcribed info for us. I also appreciate the people who contribute by expanding their trees with photos and stories and do not keep them “private”. This is our history, the history of the people who were not Kings and Queens or did not have any footnotes written about them in the history books. Please keep it coming.

April 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Sandra King

To those who complain about these records that are finally online for all of us; yes there are some mistakes, but you have the ability to correct them if you know the truth or can spell better or from personal knowledge. I have offered alternative’s to many of the names because I appreciate all that has been done and would like others to know that there is a way to correct mistakes. Instead of complaining start helping. It is a benefit to us all.

April 19, 2013 at 10:02 am
Gail Saeger

I do a lot of input. I’ve gone to the library and get obituaries for family and friends. I always try and put all the correct info in for obits and make sure I add the info into the transcription area so others can find if they need it. I never mind when anyone saves my info just always wonder how they are related. I have discovered two books written by family and am in the process of putting that into in to help people on those family lines. I don’t pay for the site any more as right now I’m out of work and can’t afford it but I still love the site due to my info can be helpful to others. So if u run across mine save for your tree. I just ask u send me an e-mail ( via ancestry ) so I can get to know u as family. Thanks for all the great research everyone has done and continues to do.

April 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm