The latest installment of new AncestryDNA features.

Posted by Stephen Baloglu on March 24, 2013 in AncestryDNA, Site Features

It’s been a busy start to 2013 for the AncestryDNA crew. While we’ve been processing the massive numbers of DNA kits that have come in this year already, we have also been working on improvements to the AncestryDNA service. Additionally, we just made it even easier to get into AncestryDNA with the new low price of $99. Here’s a quick recap of some new features to bring you up to speed.

Communicating with matches

is even easier.

Now when you correspond with a DNA match, there’s a direct link in the email message that lets you quickly locate that match in the future. No more paging through your match list. Just click the link, and it will take you directly to the details for that match.

DNA results on-the-go.

We’ve updated our web pages to work seamlessly on your smart phone and tablet. It’s called “responsive design,” and it’s all the rage in the tech world. It means your DNA results will look and fit better when you view them on the smaller screens of a tablet, iPhone, or other handheld device. No app download required; just access your DNA results through your web browser on your smart phone or tablet as usual.

Raw DNA data download.

Some of our expert genetic genealogists have requested the ability to download their raw DNA data. It’s the genetic code that’s comprised of over 700,000 A’s, C’s, T’s and G’s that are the basis for your DNA results. And now you have the option to download your raw data by logging into your account, going to your DNA results page and clicking the “manage test settings” link. If you’re not familiar with raw DNA data, be sure to review the “Raw DNA Data” section in our Frequently Asked Questions. It’s highly sensitive and private data that you’ll want to be sure to protect once you’ve downloaded it.

That sums up the latest. But it doesn’t mean we’re done making the DNA experience even better. We continue to listen to feedback from our DNA users and have a growing to-do list: from more powerful tools to search and manage your rapidly growing list of DNA matches to more education on how to use your DNA results. So expect more exciting updates throughout the year.

If you haven’t taken the AncestryDNA test, there’s no better time than now to get started, especially at the new $99 price. Then all the new features and latest scientific findings will be yours. Find out more here: www.ancestrydna.com

Comments
1 MarshallMarch 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

AncestryDNA is evolving into what will be one of the most valuable tools to uncover unknown family history. This is all very exciting but for the end user can quickly become difficult to evaluate all the data we are currently receiving and the volume is likely to increase exponentially. I submitted my test in January and already have over 2800 hits. I’m currently averaging 50 new hits per week. Hopefully this year you will be opening this up to other countries. This “world data” is critical for us in the USA in uncovering our immigrant origins!
But when AncestryDNA becomes international, the volume of hits we get will not be manageable using the evaluation tools currently available on you website.

Suggestions:
1. Add the ability to quickly screen matches that have common surnames without having to open each match to review.

2. Promote the idea that members who have attached their DNA results to a PRIVATE tree should consider uploading a PUBLIC tree which they can link to their DNA. Their PUBLIC tree can protect their privacy and would not need to contain personal photos, stories, ect., just a bare tree with no living individuals, like a generic GEDCOM type file. You could make this very simple for the technically challenged folks by just offering a one button click to convert and post their tree to a stripped down PUBLIC TREE. I think we are all missing out on the valuable information that these PRIVATE trees contain.

3. An alternative to #2 would be to at least show a shaking leaf on those PRIVATE trees that are likely a common ancestor match so members can contact the owner for permission to view the tree.

Thanks….

2 BEEMarch 24, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’ve spent almost a week working on my DNA “hits” now that I’ve figured out a formula how to handle them. I’ve whittled 37 pages down to 8 so far, and I’m sure it will be less when I’m finished. The big job will be the 58 pages {so far} on my husband’s DNA page.
Because 75% of my DNA reflects my ethnicity, and all my direct ancestors were foreign born with ethnic names, I would have no way of connecting to anyone with that surprising 25% Scandinavian part of my DNA, so I remove them after checking out their trees. Any hits that I keep, I add a note showing that person’s DNA percentage and the fact that the tree contains names with my ethnicity. I was very lucky to have two matches that had ancestors from the same village as my paternal grandfather. I contacted them both, and exchanged information.
The most interesting thing I’ve found so far is someone who could be directly related to my mostly “British Isles” father-in-law, showing up as a “5th to 8th cousin” to me, probably through that Scandinavian part of my DNA. So I’m related to my husband? Who knew!

3 BCarrollMarch 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

It would help so much if those hits with a name common to my own tree would be listed as such.

4 scwbcmMarch 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thank you for keeping your commitment to provide the raw data and continue to work on new tools. The Scandinavian ethnicity was specifially mentioned as being in need of refinement but I hope you are also looking at those of us who had the very high British Isles. I know there are quite a few of us who have expressed concerns on the boards and some with their personal blogs. Many have expressed concerns that it is unlikely we resided in such close proximity to the Scandinavian group without their being some crossover. It will work out it the end.

5 BCarrollMarch 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I do have a question about raw DNA results. Do women who take this test only ‘produce’ raw X DNA results? And do men who take this test produce raw X and raw Y results? I am a bit confused and would love an explanation on this.

And if a brother and sister both took this test, would the results for the brother be more complete (having x and y) than the sisters? I would really appreciate a basic, down to earth answer on that. Thanks!

6 AndreaMarch 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I agree with Marshall. Would really love the ability to search through my matches for common surnames…ones that I don’t have in my tree already.

7 kimberly l ColemanMarch 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

Trying to find anything about my father his name was is Mark Samuel Coleman he was also a member of the LDS church would love.anything on him have no family really left dad dead mom dead brothers one dead don’t know other grandparents he was married to my mother here’s Mae Wiggins I think I am supposed to have a brother and his last name is Coleman too

8 AnaMarch 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

BCarroll, this test does not test the sex chromosomes. This test is for the autosomal chromosomes (the rest of your genetic makeup). While a brother and sister will have different ethnicities due to recombination, a brother doesn’t have a better result than a sister (or vice versa).

9 KevinMarch 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm

My mom submitted a sample and while I can see her results as the account holder, she cannot without logging in through my account. It would be great if there was a way I could make those results available to her to view on her own without needing to access my account. This, of course, would be nice to have for anyone who is administering tests to others.

10 SherriMarch 28, 2013 at 4:36 am

I would like it if there was a better way to match Ancestry.com DNA test to some from FamilyTree DNA, it seems very complicated now and we have some people in our DNA group who have tested using both programs.

11 SherriMarch 28, 2013 at 4:39 am

Is there a way to enter DNA from FamilyTree DNA onto Ancestry.com

12 Trevor ThackerMarch 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Sherri, If you have taken a Y-DNA or mtDNA test from another DNA testing company, you are able to manually enter and edit your results for matching with Ancestry.com members who have results for either of these tests on their account. Click here for more information: http://ancstry.me/VIxOmc

13 deedlegirlMarch 29, 2013 at 6:23 am

It would be a complete product if a Chromosomal browser was available. Having to go to gedmatch to upload our raw data is a shame.

14 KarenMarch 29, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I agree deedlegirl. Without an “in common with”/ triangulation tool & a segment matching/chromosome browser tool, the matching trees are worthless. Having found over 300 trees with ancestral matches, while waiting for some real tools, now I find there is still nothing I can do with them. There is no science (and sometimes no research) in the member trees. Even taking the raw data to gedmatch doesn’t help with the matching trees unless all those matches do the same. Having done other genetic genealogy tests, I am very disappointed with AncestryDNA.

15 Donna Campbell GoodwinMarch 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I used 23andMe for my MtDNA test. Can this be used/transfered to Ancestry.com Trevor?

16 Trevor ThackerApril 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Donna, Ancestry.com will allow you to enter your mtDNA results on our website, as long as the testing done was the same category of DNA testing we do. While other companies may not test the exact same markers, you can still add your results and compare them with others in the Ancestry.com database.

17 Kathy BrownApril 2, 2013 at 10:56 am

I agree with Kevin on Mar 27. The people we had tested through our account need to be able to study their test without getting into our account. I have told them to just please be careful and don’t change or edit anything in the tree…but it would be nice if they could study it at their leisure. I think this is an important one!

18 David PowellApril 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm

i have my Familytree DNA results listed for my ANCESTRY DNA,I have requested several times to be able to see whta the results of my Ancestry DNA results are i took the test in october of 2012,i have contacted Ancestry several times,they can,t give a answer,i am going to remove my manualy posted family tree DNA numbers,and then maybe Ancestry can Post their results for my test,right now i feel i have been scamed out of the $100.00 THAT i spent,and have nothing to show for it,beside hints that are not even connected to me,anyone else having this problem.

19 BEEApril 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’ve finally figured out how to monitor my DNA site, and whittled down the 37 pages of “matches” to just three as I add a note to each one I keep whether starred or not. The funny thing is, I have a match with someone who shares a family name with my husband, and if his research is correct, they share a common ancestor, although they don’t seem to share any DNA.
There are also two women that share DNA with me who also share a family name with my husband, but not his particular family, if that makes sense! It must be that 25% Scandinavian that I have, but it’s really weird!
We even have the same young fellow on both our lists: My husband’s DNA MATCHES: Possible range: 5th – 8th cousins Confidence: Very Low
Same fellow on my DNA MATCHES: Possible range: 5th – 8th cousins Confidence: Moderate
So how weird is that!!!! It’s possible there were more “matches”, between us, but when I went back to check them out on the “removed list”, I found that I just had one page of names, with the other 18 pages appear blank – an “error report” was filed two weeks ago? Hope it can be fixed!
In the meantime, I’ve lowered my husband’s “relationship range” to “moderate”, so I have just a few more pages to review, although there is no way I can add a note to each one. Hopefully, that will mean it will take me less time with the weekly “new matches”.
I think someone mentioned “shared names”. I’ve seen as many as ten on one of my husband’s matches. His ancestors arrived in the 1600s in both MA and “New Amsterdam”and houses, streets, parks, etc bear some of these surnames. However, the ones that appear with these DNA matches are all rather “common” names, so that doesn’t necessarily make for a family connection.
Also, leaving his relationship range at “moderate”, but when I slide it one more notch, it shows three more “low confidence” with common ancestors that match with family information.

20 Stan ShannonApril 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm

We badly need to be able to search our matches by family names. For example all matches that have the name ‘Wyatt’. That would make the tool far more useful.

21 TCApril 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

So far so good! I love the set up, and being able to additionally add in my male siblings Y results (that they took elsewhere) helps to narrow further down my fathers line from my mothers via the AT testing that I did via Ancestry.

22 Donna Campbell GoodwinApril 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Trevor, is there a place to find out how to add my Mtdna. On the help section maybe.? If it does not work, and I choose to do Ancestry’s DNA test, I am worried about some of the comments made above. Will these be cleared up in the future.?
Thank you for your response.
Donna

23 Tom DuncanApril 8, 2013 at 9:45 am

I would hope a search function would be added so you could search your matches for a particular surname.
Tom

24 Beverly GouldApril 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I would love the ability to filter out private trees from my dna matches. I respect each member’s right to privacy but I don’t have any interest in contacting each and every match who has a private tree. If it’s a private tree, I ignore the match. I’d rather it didn’t even show up in my list.

25 Jayme BeyrerApril 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I think that the dna test was a huge waste of my money. Only thing the results told me was the ethnic of my ancestors, and I already knew all that! The test did not help me to locate any relatives, no even distant ones up to 8th cousin I would take, but did not find any. I think I wasted my money. Also want to say that if a match is a private tree.. why even list it?? I tried contacting a couple of those PRIVATE tree people, and they won’t even answer my messages. So whats the point of Ancestry even listing them as possible matches for me. I love Ancestry.com, been a member for many many years. But I feel totaly ripped off by this DNA testing.

26 BEEApril 15, 2013 at 5:44 am

Through the DNA test, I met two families that had ancestors that came from my paternal grandfather’s village and was pleased to exchange information. While I have always kept my trees private, I have answered each and every person who contacted me. I met a second cousin I didn’t know I had, and have corresponded with many others in both my husband’s family and mine, as well relatives of extended family.

27 weemanMay 19, 2013 at 3:17 am

It would be a complete product if a Chromosomal browser was available.

28 http://brandennsyg.wordpress.comDecember 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Bleach water is a problem that can be caused by
defects in the construction of your walls is porous, due to the moist conditions in the bathroom can help in keeping it mold 409
clean and dry. Since dampness or humidity is one of the keys.
Reduce the amount of toxic mold poisoning, the person’s mucus membranes
will be inflamed.

29 logitech mx5000December 21, 2013 at 3:47 am

Given insurance 80 20 coverage below is a template which could be initiated by public enforcers
such as state or local district attorneys or private plaintiffs suing in the public interest.
Accident, outpatient treatment expenses, ambulance charges, maternity care and
surgery are some of the higher costs of car insurance policies.

30 V2 Cig CouponsDecember 23, 2013 at 12:17 am

Bottom feed atomizers sit below the e-juice and does v2 cig coupons not emit harmful chemicals and smoke.

A single electronic cigarette review Their cartridges generally
last about four hundred So you’re getting a pretty good value there.
There have been studies done in other places where smoking is banned, you
need an electronic cigarette, you will be educated
by the staffs about the dangers of electronic cigarettes.