Posted by on March 4, 2013 in Ancestry Great Adventure

After being on the road now for nearly four months, we are so excited to finally be here in North Carolina. We have so much we hope to discover here so when we arrived in our campground just outside of Lexington, N.C. late Wednesday night we couldn’t wait for morning to arrive so we could get started.

Whenever we arrive in a new location we have to remind ourselves that we are here for a very limited amount of time, and we need to try and strike a balance between doing research, seeing places and meeting people that we can’t do, see or meet anywhere else. It also works best when we spend the early part of our time in an area doing research and meeting people and the later part of our time seeing places. That way we learn what places to see through our research and through the people who live in the area and know where to go.

We are very happy to report that the first day here we struck gold. As we drove into the town of Wilkesboro, North Carolina we passed big poultry farms and big poultry processing plants. Then, after an unfruitful search at the county records office, we headed to the county library to meet with Hazel Roche, a wonderful genealogist who has been helping Kathy’s father with his family history research for several years. We quickly located the children’s section of the library and got our 5 wiggly and restless historians (or children) situated. Kathy made her way up to the family search area on the 2nd floor.

As Kathy walked into the research room she was pleasantly surprised to find a group of very helpful and enthusiastic women waiting there to help. Before the day was done, we had worked with an amazing group of family history experts, met with two newspaper reporters, and discovered some very interesting information about Kathy’s Spicer family history. We learned about the location of the old family homestead that is now a bed and breakfast and still has some of the original family heirloom furniture pieces and other items that we hope to see before we leave. We have an appointment to meet with these wonderful women again on Tuesday and we look forward to learning and sharing with them again. So, luckily for us, the next time we hear someone say, “It tastes a lot like chicken” we are going to think of the wonderful people and places in Wilkesboro, N.C.

jairzinho

It’s a wonderful adventure knowing these exotic places and clear that we must take advantage of every moment at every stop because time is precious and plays because it will make the most of knowing most of the communities in the region and who are very friendly and helpful, trip is amazing that they are living

March 5, 2013 at 11:01 am
John Massey

Thank you for sharing your blog! It is nice to see that you found what you are looking for. It sounds like a great experience.

March 6, 2013 at 4:41 pm
Texashoss

That sounds great, I hope you find more info tomorrow.

March 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm
E L

Beware! Rude people. Be very careful to read fine print/agreement for ancestors. com regarding how long your so called free trial.

March 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm
Ken Edwards

I must say that for any site that advertises …”FREE”"….for anything to find family members…. “We have records/ Cencous/ Birth/ ……….
And then bait and switch you with … ” Here They are…(.. Haaaa… Heeee,….)YouCan SeeThem…for. a price…. That is FALSE ADVERTISING!…. Don’t you think… Well Thanks to the Internet, I can find family records for FREE , ya sure I have to read more but I have learned a lot about history and …. MY FAMILY without being diverted on other directions that this and other ancestory links are famous for. Please do not mislead anymore folks that just want to do something besides watch the television. oK. Thanks. Ken… A. O. P.S. Sorry if I don’t Respond right away cause I am probably reading something VERY INTERESTING that you would not have included in the FREE or $$$$$$ SITE…… LATER..?…..Kenneth Edwards, Brother of Muriel Edwards .. Our Mother is Florance C Ewards.. What a run. Around you have given us. BYE

March 13, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Becky Brown West

Very interested in reading this article. In researching my family, I kept see Browns in Wilkesboro or Wilkes, and was sorta confused when I tried to separate the two areas, or what the difference. As you can see, I am a Brown also. A cousin of mine had sent me infomation on the Brown’s Cemetery at Wilkesboro. Would like to plan a trip there sometime this summer and check things out.
All of my grandfather’s family were born in Wilkesboro. His father, John Robert Allen Brown, was born on October 19, 1862 in Wilkes Co, NC. He married Susana Caroline Shumate.
That is about as far as our family history that I have. Maybe your research will discover information about their families before they came to America. We are probably be distant relatives. My email address is beckywest@highland.net Hope to hear something from you soon.

March 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm
chioma

the article is very interesting.is very nice to travel about because it is an adventure and also a room to meet different people and learn from them.therefore we should take advantage of any moment unn.edu.ng

March 21, 2013 at 10:08 am
Capp

America is great with free speech, anybody can say anything about anyone or anything. Too bad some people choose to abuse that right.

March 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Howdy exceptional website! Does running a blog similar to
this require a large amount of work? I have absolutely no understanding
of computer programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog
soon. Anyways, should you have any ideas or techniques
for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I simply needed to ask.
Kudos!