Using Ancestry.com Like a Detective – in your own research and on CSI!

Posted by Ancestry.com on December 12, 2012 in Ancestry.com Site

Ancestry.com solves mysteries! At least that’s what it did on tonight’s episode of “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” as detectives dove into a family tree to see which clues the subject of one investigation had already uncovered about members of her family.

Curious how you can search Ancestry.com detective style? You can learn the tricks to finding 20th-century answers in your family tree in our short desktop education video, Search Ancestry.com Like a Detective. Next thing you know, you’ll be solving your own family history mysteries just like the pros.

Comments
1 Lynda Prado.December 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I’m trying to find my great grandfather’s parents but I haven’t been able to. Does anybody have any search tips or ideas?
I’ve tried going to different sites but nothing has worked. His name was Louis Lafleur and he was born in 1895 in stillwater MN. But that’s all that I know.

2 Diana EllisonDecember 15, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Lynda,
Have you tried looking for his siblings? Sometimes that is helpful. Do you have his death certificate. That might have the names of his parents. It looks like there are a few Lefleur families living in Stillwater, MN in the 1900 census.

3 Audrey BabbittDecember 16, 2012 at 8:21 am

Without knowing, I have used ancestry.com as a detective. My Father had 4 brothers but only talked about 2 of them which I had met.

Strong, steady and slow research I learned that one brother whose name was Donald died at age 2, I found his grave stone.

The other brother whose name was Edward or Edwin, had been according to the times ‘feeableminded’ and lived his entire life in a state mental hospital, he lived to be 44 years of age and is buried in the state hospital’s cemetery next to the hospital that is to this day still operating.

Where there is a will there is a way!

4 Connie JohnstonDecember 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Lynda,

Check out the 1910 census for Nymore, Beltrami, Minnesota. Lafleur was spelled Saflore under Louis and Phobie. The whole family is listed.
In the 1920 census, Lewis Sr is first listing and Lewis Jr with wife Eglia is listed. Check out the 1940 census for Columbia County, Oregon also. Good Luck with your search.

5 Connie JohnstonDecember 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hello Lynda,

I wonder if you have seen the 1910 census for Nymore, Beltrami, Minnesota. Lewis Lafleur was spelled —Louis Saflore. It lists several people. 1920 census for the same town has your family, I believe, at the top of the census page.
1940 census for Columbia, Oregon at the top of the page, also has some LaFleur’s listed that could be your family. Good luck with your research.

6 Rebecca WorthleyDecember 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

We have looked extensilvely for any record of William Smith Nixon Sr.’s death in the obituary. He was drowned in the 1950′s at Granda Lake, Ms. His obituary was ran in Jackson, Miss Calrion Ledger. However, we cannot find it and he was cremated so there is no burial record either. His wife was Rebecca Corinne Parker Nixon and his son was William Jr. Do you have any ideas. We are at a loss. Rebecca

7 Andy HatchettDecember 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Re: #5 Rebecca

If he was cremated the crematorium should have a record of who ashes were released to, who paid, and perhaps their address at the time.

Remember, not everything is online. Have you checked with the Jackson Library to see if they have copies of the Clarion Ledger, or the Mississippi State Archives?

8 Sheri McInturffDecember 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I do feel like a detective or CSI using ancestry.com. I found my husbands grandmother who died at age 25 in the Los Angeles area. We all thought she had died in Arkansas. Also, found that she had a son prior to marrying. I’m still trying to find her father, Sargeant Pelsor. Last info we have on him was 1910 census, living in Webb,OK. I think he may have died before 1920 as I find his widow, Loretta Pelsor, was the postmaster/mistress in Pelsor, Arkansas around that time but no mention of him.

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Wednesday, 26 December 2012

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.