Android gets Hints! See what’s new in our Android app.

Posted by Aaron Orr on November 20, 2012 in Ancestry.com Site, Mobile

Ever wish you could make new family history discoveries from your Android phone or tablet? We’re excited to announce that we’ve added Hints for historical records to our Android app.

Let’s take a closer look at what’s new…

Record Hints

“Shaky leaves” on people in your tree indicate that we may have found a record for this person. You can view the records right from the app anywhere you are with an internet connection. Tap on the person to view their profile, and then tap on “Hints”.

If the record is a good match, you can easily save the information from the record to your tree. Many records contain information about other family members—you can just as easily save the record to them as well.

Filters

The “3 bar” icon in the top left of the screen opens a list of all the people in your family tree. If you begin typing in the search bar, the list below automatically updates based on what you’re typing. This is very helpful if you are looking for someone specific in a large tree.

In addition, by tapping “All people in tree,” you have access to a variety of useful filters. For example, Direct Ancestors will update the list of people to show only people directly related to the tree’s home person, and the End of Line filter helps you find areas of your tree that need more research. The bottom two options will show a list of people in your tree that have hints or only those that have received new hints in the last 7 days.

We hope you like this update. Don’t hesitate to let us know what you think or what other features you would like to see.

Download the Ancestry app for Android. Don’t have an Android device? Download our iOS app.

Comments
1 Robert JamesNovember 21, 2012 at 2:39 am

I have been using the Ancestry app for android and let me tell you that it is awesome! I even blog about it at times.

2 parktownNovember 21, 2012 at 6:22 am

Hints for historical records to our Android app.
On a small device such as an android I have no wish to have hints wagging at me. Please tell me how to disable this function…and please don’t tell me I cannot turn it off.

3 Robert MNovember 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Finally! Thank you team Ancestry! Hopefully moving forward you can keep Android updates progressing along at the same schedule as those for iOS.

4 rafeNovember 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Nice! I had to go the to app store and select the app again to get it to update to the newest version, but it works perfectly.

Thank you!

5 Michel BrysonDecember 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I processed a hint on my Android device yesterday, but today it’s still showing up as an unprocessed hint. And it’s in the Overview, so I know it processed. Is this a bug, or do hints process differently in the app?

6 Android AppsJanuary 4, 2013 at 5:07 am

Interesting Article.
Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information.

7 Ketan GaikwadMarch 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

The Android App is just awesome! Ancestry looks really cool on it.

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.