You’ve Received Your AncestryDNA Results. Now What?

Posted by Nick Cifuentes on October 22, 2012 in AncestryDNA

The day you get your AncestryDNA results is exciting, but now you may have some questions. Well, we’re here to help.  Watch this informative video from our genealogy expert, Crista Cowan, that covers some popular topics such as how to navigate your results, putting your genetic ethnicity into perspective, using new search tools, and making the most of your DNA cousin matches.

Watch this AncestryDNA video now:

If you are interested in learning more, go to AncestryDNA.com here

Comments
1 Joan BrownOctober 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

Christa,
Wonderful explanation; you answered many of my questions and I thank you for that.
I watched the video version and my only complaint is that your presentation was very blurry. If Ancestry can afford to advertise on television, I would think they could resolve this problem.
Wonderful product. So far, the only match I have made for sure is a cousin that I have been in contact with for about 10 years, but at least it shows that the DNA works. I’ll just have to work harder to find how I am related to the other matches.
Thank you.
Joan

2 Sidney LevesqueOctober 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I took the Ancestry.com DNA test. Now I would like to buy a test for a family member to take. How do I do this? I couldn’t find a link to sign up for a second test.

3 Barbara BurdaOctober 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I also would like to buy a test for my husband since he will be from completely different background and the language barriers from this foreign countries keep us from finding more about his family. He does not have a separate Ancestry enrollment. When or how do we get him a test?
Thanks, Barbara

4 Wayne HollandOctober 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I must be missing something, its nice that there are articles and videos on what to do with your AncestryDNA results, but I still am not able to even take the test. Everytime I go to the page it just tells me to wait patiently for my invitation, ive been waiting a month…

5 LinOctober 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Christa,
Thank you for the presentation. I have a functionality question I cannot find the answer to concerning the DNA results. If I have someone in my tree with two listed parents, one adopted and one biological, will it consider both lines when looking at the results, only the biological, or only the one set as preferred. I have the adopted father set as preferred, and would like to keep it that way. Does current functionality mean I will not see tree and map links from the biological side because my tree has the adopted as preferred?
Thank you.

6 Lois WaldronOctober 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I also want to order more tests. I called customer support and was told we are automatically re-entered for another invitation. How do we know the status of that? and is it true?

7 JeffOctober 23, 2012 at 12:35 am

HEY Nick or Crista,

I’m still waiting for my test! It’s been at least 6 months! I’ve been doing the same thing as one of the commenters. I’ve been clicking on the DNA button at my Ancestry homepage and I get the same answer!

8 Kent MyersOctober 23, 2012 at 12:40 am

I got my results and I am very excited about the new test. Like others, I would like to order more tests. When will we be able to do this?

9 BEEOctober 23, 2012 at 5:35 am

I also got my results and found them interesting.
I contacted one of the persons on my list of distant matches because his grandmother came from the same village as my grandfather. No known connection, but it’s very possible.
I would like to purchase a test for my husband.

10 KathleenOctober 23, 2012 at 5:44 am

Received my results? I’m still waiting for my invite!

11 scwbcmOctober 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Wow, pretty interesting. I just received my results. I am glad I watched the tutorial first or I would have been pretty overwhelmed.

12 Marilyn HallaranOctober 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I took the DNA test and have received my results. When can I order more DNA tests for my children?

13 JeffOctober 24, 2012 at 1:45 am

#10 Kathleen,

Keep yelling! It helped me. It is really true that the squeaky wheel does get the grease! Because when I got home from work on Tuesday, I had a phone call from Ancestry offering me the test. Now I hope I just some bang for my buck!

14 affordable seo companyOctober 25, 2012 at 3:29 am

thank you for your post,Wow, pretty interesting. I just received my results

15 Allan WrightOctober 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

One suggestion – Ancestry currently lists the matches, or near matches by name. Interesting, but not very helpful. A link to their online tree if available would be great! Thanks.

16 Louretta PughOctober 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Oh dear, am I confused? Or misunderstanding something here? After reading some of the comments DNA Test requires using a swab, correct? Then sending it to a required lab? Did I misunderstand something. (Feeling silly). Also the presentation was very blurry also.
I will be awaiting my DNA Test since it is paid for. Hope I understood correctly what it is.

17 DanaOctober 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Hi All,
I’ve taken my test and have the results. It took about 4-6 weeks after I registered for the test for my turn to come up. The test just requires spitting into a small test tube. The results took about another 4-6 weeks to come in. The results confirmed a 3rd cousin I have been communicating with over the last year is in fact a match. In addition to her, there were initially about 8 other potential matches shown. That was about 2-3 months ago. The list has now expanded to about 25 potential matches, as more people take the test/get results. Be patient. I looked at other tests for several years, and for me, this was the best option for the money, especially because you get all Ancestry.com members testing who may be potential matches.
Warm regards,
Dana

18 TCOctober 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

For those that took the test last fall, we did mouth swabbing. Those that get it now are given the saliva collection method. A dna customer service rep stated (when I called to ask about it) that they found those whom did the atDNA testing via cheek swabbing may not be completely accurate, and why they changed the collection process to the saliva based one.

My sons testing was this way as is the other tests we received. My son does show up at a 99% match as a parent/child and his results show some similar names as my own, but I suspect my results are more of a mtDNA testing, perhaps by accident, but using his results, helps to narrow down which matches whom show low confidence to even correspond with.

He also has several other close matches I do not know, so either they did not show up in mine (say from my fathers side) or they come from his own fathers side. Its been interesting!

19 Trevor ThackerOctober 26, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Louretta, With the new AncestryDNA test, your sample is collected via a saliva sample. This article provides more information: http://ancstry.me/SeUDdD

20 Barbara SmithOctober 27, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hi–love the amazing potential of all this, and was lucky enough to be one of the beta testers. I do have some questions still.

First-the pins in my map show nearly 70 places (just in the United States alone) that are birthplaces of my matches. Most are birthplaces of several people in my tree. It is so difficult to try to plow through the map looking for matches. Is there a place that lists our matches so we can find them more easily?

Second, a family tree of a cousin of mine had two DIFFERENT people listed as parents of our mutual great grandfather. The DNA match for her showed HER choice as matches, plus several more generations back. My tree also showed matches of a completely different couple I thought were his parents, plus even more matches for their ancestors!

How is this possible? How can two completely different couples be matches for the same man? Very confused.

Also, please ask the web site designers to come up with a simpler method to look at the “cousin matches” It would be nice to have a notation that tells you if there is a common ancestor found, or if the tree is private or if that person doesn’t even have a tree. The current web site is awfully cumbersome to navigate.

But thanks for the presentation! Hope there will be others.

21 AudreyOctober 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Is my DNA test paternal and maternal? It seems to only cover my Grandmothers side.

22 Edith SotoOctober 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I am still working on the information on my tree and I have done the DNA test. The results have been received. However, I would like to know what happens if I do a correction on my tree what will happen to the results. I believe that one of the ancestors that start a part of the tree may not be correct.

23 Cynthia MoeNovember 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I have two ancestors that were from Road Island. You have them on my DNA map in Washington State. Is there any way that it can be changed? I would like to have them on the map correctly.

24 CindiDecember 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’m confused because my DNA came back as mainly Central European and Middle Eastern and I keep getting matched to people who are British Isles. I have zero percent British Isles and one of my matches was 100% British Isles.

I’m satisfied with my actual DNA Results, but the matches don’t seem to be very acurate.

25 Karen PetersonJanuary 30, 2013 at 7:22 am

I have a tree on Ancestry. There is a potential cousin who also has a tree on Ancestry, but that person took the 23andme DNA test. I would like to see if we are a match. If I take the Ancestry DNA test, is there any way that I can compare the Ancestry DNA with this potential cousin or would it be better to take the 23andme test. There is a possible adoption in my tree and I want to prove/disprove it.

26 Rosanna WardApril 7, 2013 at 11:41 am

My DNA test came back that I am 99% Scandinavian which seems crazy to me (I did take the Beta test cheek swab) But am to understand correctly that if my sister or brother took the same test they may come back with different ethnicities? I just don’t understand.

27 Audrey BabbittApril 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

I still do not understand the DNA reports and need help to understand their meaning.

How do I get this help?

28 Donna BjellandMarch 15, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Received results. First question. Was my dna compared to people indigenous to an area or compared to the overall current population of an area. Second question. My result showed 11 percent Europe west. However, just below it list trace and when I click on it it gives me three areas; Italy/Greece, Europe east and finish/ north western russia. These percentages add up to 11 percent also. Is the trace showing me how the europe west is broken down? If so why is it under western europe. They are not western european areas.

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Monday, 5 November 2012

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.