“Baby, Baby, Baby” – Justin Bieber, Ryan Gosling and Avril Lavigne Are Related

Posted by Nick Cifuentes on October 11, 2012 in Ancestry.com Site, Content, Social Media, Stories

What do Justin Bieber, Ryan Gosling, Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion have in common? According to Ancestry.com, the world’s largest online family history resource, the four Canadian performers are all related, sharing a family connection with some of Quebec’s earliest settlers.

• Heartthrobs: It’s a family reunion of heartthrobs as Justin Bieber, who’s appeared on the cover of almost every teen magazine connects with his newly found 11th cousin, once removed, Ryan Gosling. Gosling, who stole hearts in the drama, The Notebook, shares a bloodline with Bieber by way of Mathurin Roy and wife Marguerite Biré. Records indicate Roy and Biré were born in France in the early 1600s and later immigrated to Quebec, where Roy was a mason. By the time the couple passed away in the late 1600s, their family tree had already started to grow.
  • Odd Couples: It’s not that “Complicated” for Bieber and Avril Lavigne, who are 12th cousins. Both can trace a line straight back to the same Roy/Biré family. The branch of that family which directly connects Bieber to Lavigne started when Mathurin Roy and Marguerite Biré married.
  • Pop Prince and Pop Diva: Bieber’s family tree holds yet another famous branch: pop-diva Celine Dion. Dating back to the 1600s, the Bieber/Dion connection began with 17th century ancestors the two pop stars share: Jacques Vezina and Marie Boisdon. Vézina and Boisdon were natives of France who immigrated to Quebec in the 17th century. Genealogically speaking, this connection makes Bieber and Dion 10th cousins, three times removed.

“Discoveries like this are rare, so the fact that some of the top entertainment industry stars are all related is especially fascinating,” says Lesley Anderson, Canadian genealogy expert with Ancestry.com. “There’s something special about discovering a shared connection. And to be able to go so far back in history while making that connection is one of the most satisfying aspects of family history research.”

Comments
1 Jordan M. ScogginsOctober 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have been lucky enough to uncover some really distant connections like this in my own family tree. I write about these connections on my blog not because me (or my cousins) are famous like Bieber… but I find the idea that even after so many generations removed paths can cross with distant relatives. We’re all connected to each other one way or another and that idea is one of the things that keeps me digging for my roots!

2 Don RichardOctober 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Mathurin and Marguerite are my 9th Great Grandparents. Their daughter Marguerite is my 8th Great Grandmother. I descend from her son Claude Vivier.

3 HildeClanOctober 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

It would be great if dates were included in the chart. My son connects to Justin via Marie-Therese Allard’s paternal grandparents, so I’d like to include Justin in the family tree…however, without dates starting with Jean-Baptiste Eli dit Breton and working my way down to the present, no documentation is popping up.

4 Delores LiesnerOctober 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

The email from Ancestry said this page would show how you traced back 11 generations. I’ve tried ancestry, rootsweb and other tools and cannot find my paternal grandparents wedding information or prior generation. How does one get past that block?

5 Julia StevensOctober 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I would like to see the rest of the tree. I also share the same ancestors as he and Ryan and Avril AND the ones he shares with Celien.

[...] the black sheep of the family? Sound off below. To learn more about their connections, head over to Ancestry.com. Related [...]

7 P.-F.-X. CharlevoixOctober 12, 2012 at 10:29 am

A comment on this news item has been posted on Charlevoix, A Blog About New France, at charlevoixnf.blogspot.ca

8 JadeOctober 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Who cares? What a waste of time and space, especially since you did not bother to give any evidence for these purported connections, or discussion of how the research was done. Might as well be posting the season’s NFL scores, or this week’s television ratings.

9 Jim BassOctober 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Great article! Would be nice to see the history of this family on “Who Do You Think You Are”. I wonder which side of the family had all the musical talent and if it was evident in the old country prior to coming to North America.

10 levyOctober 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

this is very strange info, so they are related? hard to believe

11 JeanieWood24December 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I had got a desire to start my organization, but I didn’t have got enough of money to do that. Thank goodness my mate proposed to use the loans. Thus I took the college loan and realized my desire.

12 JohnJanuary 3, 2013 at 10:20 am

[...] On a side note, Bieber is apparently also related to Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion, according to Ancestry.co.uk. Which makes Canada seem like a very, very small [...]

14 Elma SherryFebruary 21, 2014 at 3:09 am

Ryan Gosling You Rock DesertLeathershop

Comment on this articleCommenting is open until Thursday, 25 October 2012

Looking for help with a specific problem? Try contacting Customer Service.

Discuss more Ancestry.com topics in the Message Boards.