World Archives Project Update

Posted by afechter on September 28, 2012 in Ancestry.com Site

Have you always wanted to participate in the Ancestry World Archives Project but haven’t been able to because you have a Mac?  Well, you’re in luck.  There is now a Mac version of the keying tool!  We are excited to expand into the Mac world and to add more contributors to our amazing community.  The keying tool is the software we use to download records from Ancestry and then enter data from the genealogy records that result in indexes that will later be available on Ancestry.

In the past four years we have completed 170 projects, and there are now 130 databases with indexes available to be searched for free on Ancestry.  This is the result of tens of thousands of contributors giving of their time and skills.  We have 26 projects currently available to index including California Railroad Employment Records, 1862-1950, Kansas, City and County Census, 1919-1978, Liverpool, United Kingdom, Crew Lists 1860-1919, Pavia, Lombardia, Italia: Registri di Matrimonio, 1866-1937 (Registers of Marriage) and USHMM Lodz, Poland, Vital Records of Jews in the Lodz Ghetto, 1939-1944.

The World Archives Project is a wonderful opportunity to give back to the genealogy community, to hone your record reading skills and if you’re an active contributor you are eliglble for discounts on your Ancestry subscription.  You can learn more about participating in the World Archives Project here.

About afechter
Anna is the Community Operations Manager for Ancestry.com. In this role her main responsibility is managing the World Archives Project. You can send an email to Anna at afechter@ancestry dot com.

Comments
1 Peggy Webber McClorySeptember 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

When I am finding information, suddenly I am clicked over to an ad encouraging my taking a subscription. I have had a membership since 1994 with Ancestry..Why do they do that with members?
Peggy Webber
PS(McClory is my deceased husband’s name, but I am listed with Ancestry with that name).

2 Arnulfo YbarraSeptember 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I am disgusted that Ancestry has chosen to stoop to showing ads on their website. It used to be clean and professional, now its degraded to the level of a just another website trying to get extra money from you thru ads. Its disgusting and I will no longer recommend Ancestry to my friends and fellow geanealogist. In fact I am embarrased to tell them I am a member of this ad hogging web site.

3 worshacfSeptember 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

I agree with Peggy #1, not only do the ads for subscription come up during a complicated search, they seem to interfere with the search itself, knocking me off, requiring me to log in again. At that point I have to get back into the search. Sometimes it happens over and over. I understand why you wish to run the ads, but it’s not a good thing for regular subscribers to have this happen, and it’s very annoying.

4 Brenda AllynSeptember 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Download Ad Aware or an ad killing program compatible with your browser. I see NO ADS at all on Ancestry.com nor any other website I use for that matter.

5 Trevor ThackerOctober 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hi Peggy #1) and Worshacf (#3), We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience of getting logged out repeatedly. Some suggestions to try that may resolve the issue can be found here: http://ancstry.me/PoZvaT

6 Rick BiskerOctober 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Trevor I have the same problem with ancestry dropping me out and asking me to join or sign in again all the time and I am getting very frustrated working in ancestry with my iPad. what can I do with the iPad to correct the problem?

I really like the ancestry app for the iPad.

Rick

7 Trevor ThackerOctober 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hello Rick, Currently the iOS mobile browser is not fully supported for use on the actual Ancestry.com site, which explains why you are getting signed off repeatedly when using it. We suggest using the Ancestry app on the iPad to view/edit the tree, and using the hints on the app to add records to the tree. If you are wanting to access the actual Ancestry.com site, we would suggest using a desktop or laptop computer.

8 RebeccaOctober 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love your site and you all do such a good job and I would say if one is snappy, they got up on the
wrong side of the bed. Maybe a solution would be to let subsribers pay a little to keep the ads off. And that is a win win altogether. When I think you all cannot get any better, you come up with something new.becky. Maybe you could have lifetime
subscribers for an amount not to high and hope you think about it ….

9 mcm ??February 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

When I initially left a comment I visited the -Notify me while new comments are added – checkbox now when a comment is added I receive three email messages with the exact same comment. Will there be any way it is possible to remove me from that services? Thanks! mcm ?? http://www.mcmhonmon.com/